Lots of New Info on Follica

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of attempting to wound my scalp in my temple down to the point of creating a scab. Just need to find a way to do it... maybe find something like a safe sandpaper.

You'll also need to use a hydrogel. But that is easy to make for very cheap and I assume you can even buy one. Also, it will hurt quite a bit I think. You can't go too deep either or it might cause scarring.

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
Do a YouTube search for George cotsarelis hair follicle stem cells & skin regeneration. I never seen this video. 4:06 in he mentions dermabrasion.

Dales

Reaction score
I'm thinking of attempting to wound my scalp in my temple down to the point of creating a scab. Just need to find a way to do it... maybe find something like a safe sandpaper.

Is it too expensive to find someone to do regular dermabrasion ?

And why nobody tried this before ?

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
There must be lots of bald men out there that have had a scab on their head for different reasons. Bald homo sapiens have existed for 200 000 years and I think it would have been discovered before if it was that simple. I admire you for trying though and hope I am wrong.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
"The next step is to test the effects of Fgf9 on human skin in xenograft models and then in the clinic. “If results hold up in humans, we could expect a several-fold increase in new follicles beyond what we were already accomplishing,” says Olle."

That comment was from 2013, and they are releasing data from a clinical trial in 2017...I really hope they are testing fgf9 and if it flops then they just go ahead and release it with minoxidil since its already approved. I dont see them just settling for minoxidil off the bat however.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/37149/title/A-Hair-Raising-Solution-/

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
"The next step is to test the effects of Fgf9 on human skin in xenograft models and then in the clinic. “If results hold up in humans, we could expect a several-fold increase in new follicles beyond what we were already accomplishing,” says Olle."

That comment was from 2013, and they are releasing data from a clinical trial in 2017...I really hope they are testing fgf9 and if it flops then they just go ahead and release it with minoxidil since its already approved. I dont see them just settling for minoxidil off the bat however.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/37149/title/A-Hair-Raising-Solution-/

I had a thought today... is FGF-9 expressed only when scabs form? If that's the case... perhaps injections of FGF-9 was a necessary route during the wounding method but not when creating a scab wound. Think about it; how would the general public feel about hair restoration if it meant for patients to have their scalp COVERED in scabs? Perhaps it's FGF-9 has something to do with it as a form of compensation?

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
8DXd9tL.jpg

Looks like the dermabrasion is causing the skin to almost, if not definitely form a scab (middle image). That's almost exactly how skin looks like just before scab formation. Can anyone tell how deep the wound/dermabrasion is done according to the 3rd slide in the image above?

Looks like a razor burn from shaving with dull razor.

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
Did Follica just say that they achieved follicle neogenesis in humans? Did I read that right? I thought no one has achieved that outside of animal models. Can someone confirm what Follica said? Swoop?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did Follica just say that they achieved follicle neogenesis in humans? Did I read that right? I thought no one has achieved that outside of animal models. Can someone confirm what Follica said? Swoop?
Neogenesis could mean as little as 5-10% growth. There's not much to be excited about until actual figures are released. I'm very intrigued by the potential for wounding but there just doesn't seem to be a lot to go on.

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
I think neogenesis is in fact huge. No one has ever succeeded to create de novo hair follicles in humans as far as I know. If they can create 5-10% regrowth I don't see why they couldn't just repeat the treatment multiple times until the desired density is achieved.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
For anyone at NW3 or under, 10% regrowth in most (90<) of users is basically moving down a Norwood - it would be major success. Nothing has ever accomplished that (neither minoxodil or finasteride consistently regrows 10% of hair in most users). 10% regrowth would take me to a NW1.5-2 - I would pay five figures for that.

PrettyFly83 had some incredible success with minoxidil and dermarolling only:

m0pz6rZ.jpg

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
PrettyFly83 had some incredible success with minoxidil and dermarolling only:

m0pz6rZ.jpg
Has wounding ever been shown to create hair in the absence of recently miniaturized hairs? Aside from the man who fell into the fire.

- - - Updated - - -

I think neogenesis is in fact huge. No one has ever succeeded to create de novo hair follicles in humans as far as I know. If they can create 5-10% regrowth I don't see why they couldn't just repeat the treatment multiple times until the desired density is achieved.
How many wounding treatments until your scalp is a solid layer of tender scar tissue?

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I Just don't see how 1.5mm is doable. 0.5mm hurts badly enough to kick in your body's immune system/ histamine response. Watery-eyes/sneezing.

What do you 1.5mm people do while dermarolling? Bite on a towel? Use a local anesthetic?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I Just don't see how 1.5mm is doable. 0.5mm hurts badly enough to kick in your body's immune system/ histamine response. Watery-eyes/sneezing.

What do you 1.5mm people do while dermarolling? Bite on a towel? Use a local anesthetic?

Just gotta tough it out man. If the roller is too much, try a dermaSTAMP.

- - - Updated - - -

Has wounding ever been shown to create hair in the absence of recently miniaturized hairs? Aside from the man who fell into the fire.

Well, you're looking at evidence in the photo I posted.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just gotta tough it out man. If the roller is too much, try a dermaSTAMP.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you're looking at evidence in the photo I posted.

Hellouser,
Do you use the dermastamp?? In which ways do you think it's better than a dermaroller? I am considering getting one. I love dermarolling and feel that I've had some results with it, however, also feel like it may be causing too much tissue damage, with the back and forth rolling motion.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score

I tried it with a 1.5mm derma roller for 6 months, did it to the point of dripping blood, and didn't see anything come from it... Not to say it doesn't work on anyone, because what hellouser posted is 1 image of several posters that saw some results... I'm curious how follica's method differs from heavy rolling... Definitely hurts though, I had a runny nose, teary eyes, and a sore head that's for sure!

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use a derminator. Doesn't hurt anywhere near as much and is more efficient.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Use a derminator. Doesn't hurt anywhere near as much and is more efficient.
Dench do you notice diffuse thinning across your scalp? It turns out Hyperandrogenism is known to prematurely induce catagen which may manifest as chronic diffuse telogen hair loss. That may explain the shedding encountered after taking finasteride. Hyperandrogenism -> Premature catagen -> rapid hair cycling -> rapid thinning, diffusion, and miniaturization of the hair.

- - - Updated - - -

This applies to Buckthorn too.