Lossing pubic hair as well.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am losing my hair over a year now, not taking rogain or propecia (as i am very afraid of it), however, I am losing my pubic hair as well and its going thin. Thinner than my scalp hair. Is it normal? Or something else is going on? Thanks

News2

Established Member
Reaction score
You need to see a doctor. There might be something wrong with your thyroid.
Another possibility would be alopecia universalis or alopecia totalis.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
News2 said:
You need to see a doctor. There might be something wrong with your thyroid.
Another possibility would be alopecia universalis or alopecia totalis.

I already took thyroid test, it was normal. As for rest of the two possibilities, is there any treatment available? may God helps me.

News2

Established Member
Reaction score
My dad had alopecia universalis or alopecia totalis (I forget which one). Basically he lost all the hair on his entire body, except the hair that had already turned white. This happened very quickly - he lost all his hair in just a few weeks. (If you're losing your hair more slowly, it's probably something else.) As far as I know there is no treatment, but some of my dad's hair grew back after a while.
I still think you should see a doctor if you're worried about your hair loss.

CCS

Reaction score
loosing pubic hair is a good thing, but its cause it not a good thing. that is not male pattern baldness. something else is going on. If your Doctor took tests, i'm surprised your Doctor did not know of the other possibilities. this kind of loss is more common amoung women. I read about it but forgot it all. you should ask the women on the women's section of the site.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
loosing pubic hair is a good thing, but its cause it not a good thing. that is not male pattern baldness. something else is going on. If your Doctor took tests, i'm surprised your Doctor did not know of the other possibilities. this kind of loss is more common amoung women. I read about it but forgot it all. you should ask the women on the women's section of the site.

Actually, I didn't tell doctor about my pubic hairloss at that time, as i was too shy (Doctor was a lady). I know that was stupid, i am not suppose to hide anything from doctor. Also I was confused, I thought probably pubic hair loss is also part of male pattern baldness process or may be because i am getting older. Anyway, I have another appointment with doctor in October, I will tell her everything.

Yea and while searching internet I found out that women loss pubic hair usually after child birth because of hormone imbalance. If hormone imbalance is the cause of my hair loss, then how come I am not experiencing any physical problem as its going on for more than a year.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm in the same boat as you arya..and i believe there're quite a few other people on this forum as well. I dont know the cause/reason for it either. Had a thyroid test and an iron deficiency test blah blah..they were normal.

i'm on finasteride now, but i remember i was losing before as well.. I'm not losing hair from any other parts of the body so i doubt its alopecia uni-whatever-ist..

seekinghair

Reaction score
OK, i'm also in the same boat. I bet that we all suffer from diffuse thinning as well. Although I dont know the cause for it either I wouldn´t be surprised if it was linked to insulin resistance. Of course it's just speculation don´t have a clue as to what is actually going on.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
yep..diffuse loss.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
i'm in the same boat as you arya..and i believe there're quite a few other people on this forum as well. I dont know the cause/reason for it either. Had a thyroid test and an iron deficiency test blah blah..they were normal.

i'm on finasteride now, but i remember i was losing before as well.. I'm not losing hair from any other parts of the body so i doubt its alopecia uni-whatever-ist..
so, after talking finasteride, u are still losing pubic hair? Did your doctor tell you anything about it? Or its just an indication that we are getting old? Though I am sure if we loss pubic hair as we get older.

seekinghair said:
. Although I dont know the cause for it either I wouldn´t be surprised if it was linked to insulin resistance..
Insulin resistance? Exactly what does it mean? Hopefully u are not talking about diabetic.

seekinghair

Reaction score
Not exactly but it is deeply related to it. What I mean is that you can be insulin resistant and a non-diabetic at the same time. What defines the condition is the inability of the cells to properly take insulin and hence glucose.
The condition has been linked with early onset of hair loss although the exact mechanism that bonds both of them remains unclear.
See,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... query_hl=5

There are a few threads on this forum already about insulin resistance also you can search information on the issue all over the Internet.