Losing You Hair In Your 30's And Self Image

Mr Garrison

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well basicaly I didn't lose it suddenly in my 30's (i'm 36).
In my case it is Patterned Diffuse Thinning. I first noticed it at around 15 or 16 but I was lucky because the proccess was VERY - VERY slow. I basically spent my teens and 20's with a full head of hair (or the appearance of it with clever haircuts).

But after 30 i've come to a point where I can't hide it anymore. I now buzz my hair down to 1 which looks fairly decent. That's because my hairline is entirely intact (I love that) and that I have hair all over. It's just that is colorless miniaturized hair that are impossible to style or even comb. That has a rollercoaster effect on me because at certain lighting I look like i have a full head of hair and in other it looks like there is nothing on my crown.

The thing is that having lived all those years as a fullhead makes it hard to replace my self image with a new bald one. Sometimes I feel that I have both. I guess losing your hair at 20 (which of course must suck) makes it easier because from early on you get used to it. You are known as the bald guy you know? But I was never the bald guy and now at 35-36 I must begin to be one.

I don't know if my post makes much sense but I wanted to give the perspective of a guy who loses their hair later in life.

resu

Reaction score
Regarding self-image that's the whole issue, you can't improve yourself, it's not like with fat people in which they can do a diet plus exercise and when they start to see results they get ecstatic, hence why many men with hair loss get that defeated facial expression once they accept that this is the way they look now.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It makes sense to me because I am in the same scenario. Full head of thick hair all through my twenties. at 32 I start losing due to Telogen Effluvium.. since then I have had continual bouts of Telogen Effluvium, along with finasteride induced hair loss... I've been losing it like I am going through chemo. Now it's thin and diffused all through the top and I don't know what to tell people. Every MONTH it's literally much thinner than the previous. it's horrible

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are 36 and @your age is just a aging process. The most men (2/3) in your age will have some hair loss.
In my environment of all friends ( they are most in middle age like you) there are no more many guys with full hairs on her head :D

See it positive you are not full bald in your age and that is a very lucky thing:cool:

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Imagine losing your hair in your late teens and 20s. Being tortured is a picnic in comparison.

True, you are the best example for that (suffer) I had my hairs in my 20s (to 25 full then losing hair) but many other problems. My 20s was like sh*t trust me.
My solution : i put all my energy into school and my job and my hobbys.

Do the same Dante92....and in a few years we will say then : Welcome to the 30s. Trust me many things are then otherwise

.But again your status is not so bad i saw much worse!

Dante92

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
True, you are the best example for that (suffer) I had my hairs in my 20s (to 25 full then losing hair) but many other problems. My 20s was like sh*t trust me.
My solution : i put all my energy into school and my job and my hobbys.

Do the same Dante92....and in a few years we will say then : Welcome to the 30s. Trust me many things are then otherwise

.But again your status is not so bad i saw much worse!

Wow, what a relief. Now I really feel the urge to cut myself. :D

resu

Reaction score
Well, if you shave your head that roller coaster of feelings disappears since you don't know how bad it got until you no longer see that shadow.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Imagine losing your hair in your late teens and 20s. Being tortured is a picnic in comparison.

this

I remember how I wanted to imitate some simple haircut at 17yo and failed because I was NW2.5.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
this

I remember how I wanted to imitate some simple haircut at 17yo and failed because I was NW2.5.

goddamnit, yeah... I cannot even imagine how devastating that sh*t is. How f*cking fair is that. Right when you're ready to start messing around with women, you get struck with one of the most physically devastating things that can happen. At least now in my thirties, most of my friends are balding / bald as well. @CopeForLife - who is your avatar?

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
goddamnit, yeah... I cannot even imagine how devastating that sh*t is. How f*cking fair is that. Right when you're ready to start messing around with women, you get struck with one of the most physically devastating things that can happen. At least now in my thirties, most of my friends are balding / bald as well. @CopeForLife - who is your avatar?

this famous bald stud

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Must be nice to get through your 20s without worrying about male pattern baldness... If you have good density and an Norwood 1 or even 2 hairline throughout your 20s then you're relatively lucky and your loss of identity pales into comparison to that of a 20 something or teenager.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember how I buzzed first time (at 19) and first reaction of mother was EWW and she painted with her finger imaginary NW1 on my temples saying OH WHAT A PITY YOU DON'T HAVE THIS

I am NOT lying (didn't even know at that moment that I AM BALDING)

probably she is shallow and superficial and I need to find another real mother or other cope sh*t? or what cope do retards usually saying about this (she is nice tho, I can freely talk about balding and hair transplant with her getting support, no bluepill sh*t – not many parents giving this)

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have just turned 30. Balding since 18 but very slow. With finasteride have managed to keep a nw2 and a 'full head' to now. Recently though my loss has speed up and im thinning more now. Yikes..

Thought of going noticeable balding to people scares life outa me even at this age. So god knows what its like for 19-22yo guys who go nw4+ so young.

I dont agree though its easier to accept in your 30s. Still a young age.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have just turned 30. Balding since 18 but very slow. With finasteride have managed to keep a nw2 and a 'full head' to now. Recently though my loss has speed up and im thinning more now. Yikes..

Thought of going noticeable balding to people scares life outa me even at this age. So god knows what its like for 19-22yo guys who go nw4+ so young.

I dont agree though its easier to accept in your 30s. Still a young age.
20s is easier than teens. 30s is easier than 20s. 40s is easier than 30s. 50s is easier than 40s. Every decade that passes before onset of male pattern baldness means less psychological damage, more normalcy, less impact on your youth, career, love life and family life. I'm 30 and I can honestly say that if I went fully bald now, it would be a little less devestating than if I went fully bald at 20. 30 is still a bit young but you at least had a chance to study, date, travel and start a career before male pattern baldness kicks you in the bollocks.

shookwun

Reaction score
20s is easier than teens. 30s is easier than 20s. 40s is easier than 30s. 50s is easier than 40s. Every decade that passes before onset of male pattern baldness means less psychological damage, more normalcy, less impact on your youth, career, love life and family life. I'm 30 and I can honestly say that if I went fully bald now, it would be a little less devestating than if I went fully bald at 20. 30 is still a bit young but you at least had a chance to study, date, travel and start a career before male pattern baldness kicks you in the bollocks.
Hit it nail on.

male pattern baldness as a teenager will leave you devestated and affect you heavily in social, and psychological development. A stage where you absorb like a sponge and cultivate experience decimated by the crutch of hair loss.

It realy fucked me in the head and made me so self concious about myself. I avoided relationships like the plague and hid behind combo vets because I refused to let anyone see me for who I actualy was behind a makeshift hairline and hat. I can't even count the number of women I let to nothing because I couldn't work passed my hairline. They probably thought I wasn't interested but the truth is I could not let them find out.

Hair loss in your twenties is not that bad. Those critical teenage years where you form relationships and develop will help you transition more smoothly.

Dante reminds me of my former self. If he doesn't act now he is fucked. It will only get worse. The avoidance of others and hiding behind self-pity.

I have come a long way but I still have bursts of hesistnance and days where I feel terrible about myself. It rele is an on going roller coaster of emotions.

Balding in your 30s is an absolute joke in comparison to onset male pattern baldness as a teenager. If anything yu are privledged

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Even though I drew the short straw and was visibly balding in my mid 20s, at the very least, I made it through college and had a chance to develop in personality and confidence before that tonne of bricks fell on me. If Icould have made it to 30, 35 or 40 then even better.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let's be honest here, endomorph is the worst. You can't improve child bearing hips in the gym. I'm 180cm but I might get LL to put me at 185cm.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope. I'm of average height (175 cm), which is a disadvantage when you're balding, since you'll look shorter than you really are. I'm extremely skinny, too (ectomorph physique, the crappiest possible, with small wrists and narrow shoulders).

For an italian guy you are BIG:D:D

I was in italy saw much smaller guys. Normaly italian guys are less than average men in europe