Losing weight tips thread

G

I'm trying to lose about 10-15 pounds that I've put on and want to shed.

My main things that I've started doing are only eating junk food one meal a week one day a week.

And I've also stopped drinking all drinks with calories except for milk. I have milk in my cereal every morning and that's it.

I drink a lot of water and tea. I find that this helps. I was wasting so many calories per day on drinks that didn't fill me up. Now I can dedicate 99% of my calories to food.

I have also stopped drinking alcohol- beer has a lot of calories and drinking too much is bad for you anyway

I am also going to the gym more often- about 3 times a week and am also eating a ton of protein so I feel more full. Stuff like chicken tuna etc.

What tips do you guys have that you've used or you feel would be beneficial for everyone?

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jayman,
when was your last blood test. what is your fasting sugar level?
If you are a diabetic or a pre-diabetic it is very difficult to lose weight by cutting calories.

Alternatively a very low-carb food might help in that case. If your sugar level is very normal, then cut down on fat and you will lose your weight fast. Take a minimum of 100 grams of protein per day.

I understand your situation. I have gained 5 pounds after my hair transplant surgery. I hope to be able to start vigorous exercising soon.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you want to lose the weight quickly, do the Adkins diet for a week or two. I'd never recommend the Adkins diet to anyone for longer than a week or two since no carbs is bad for you IMO.

But for a few weeks, nothing will take the weight off quicker.

You're definitely on the right track though. Drink nothing but water or tea, no junk food except 1 time per week. That's the recipe for success. If you keep it up, but want the weight gone quickly, the Adkins for 2 weeks will do the trick.

That way when you add carbs back in, your body won't gain tons of weight back because you will still be eating sensible meals. Works great for losing 10lbs for a trip etc.

G

Harie said:
If you want to lose the weight quickly, do the Adkins diet for a week or two. I'd never recommend the Adkins diet to anyone for longer than a week or two since no carbs is bad for you IMO.

But for a few weeks, nothing will take the weight off quicker.

You're definitely on the right track though. Drink nothing but water or tea, no junk food except 1 time per week. That's the recipe for success. If you keep it up, but want the weight gone quickly, the Adkins for 2 weeks will do the trick.

That way when you add carbs back in, your body won't gain tons of weight back because you will still be eating sensible meals. Works great for losing 10lbs for a trip etc.

thanks for the tip harie but carbs are essential to me. i've cut out the fat and added the protein. ther are plenty of good carbs out there.

G

techprof said:
jayman,
when was your last blood test. what is your fasting sugar level?
If you are a diabetic or a pre-diabetic it is very difficult to lose weight by cutting calories.

Alternatively a very low-carb food might help in that case. If your sugar level is very normal, then cut down on fat and you will lose your weight fast. Take a minimum of 100 grams of protein per day.

I understand your situation. I have gained 5 pounds after my hair transplant surgery. I hope to be able to start vigorous exercising soon.

i have no clue about my levels tech, unfortunately.

i have diabetes history in my immediate family but it's type 1 and not II.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jay, if you can afford a blood test, do it. Talk to a general practitioner. Get some tests done before starting on a diet program. I wish I had done that before. I was crazy and burning 3000 calories a day (while I was a student) for a month or so and on an average burnt 2000 calories for a year. I seriously believe that this kind of crash exercise accelerated my male pattern baldness.

PS., he might write a script for dutasteride.

mu0325

Established Member
Reaction score
You want my advice head to the gym bro and workout and I mean workout.

I don’t watch what I eat but in the same time I don’t eat junk food I try to eat healthy food but I don’t calculate the carbs and fat and protein and that stuff basically I am not b**ch about it.

The trick is to burn enough calories and keep your body in anabolic condition.
When I said workout I don’t mean go run or do cardio no I mean resistance training which is proven to be more effective in weight loss. When I go to the gym I hit the free weights. Stick to hardcore stuff and forget about machines. Do deadlifts, squats, bench presses, and military presses and basic moves. Alternate between heavy low reps and moderate to light and high reps. do circuit and do cardio too.

Look at football players how they train they have the best of the two strength and mass and lean body (of course not all of them)

I train 4 days a weeks do heavy weights, cardio eat like a donkey I don’t do Atkins or Watson diets. I can say I am in good shape.

G

techprof said:
Jay, if you can afford a blood test, do it. Talk to a general practitioner. Get some tests done before starting on a diet program. I wish I had done that before. I was crazy and burning 3000 calories a day (while I was a student) for a month or so and on an average burnt 2000 calories for a year. I seriously believe that this kind of crash exercise accelerated my male pattern baldness.

PS., he might write a script for dutasteride.

he should be looking for diabetes in me?

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jayman
not necessarily diabetes. but sugar level can be elevated. if you tell him your family history, he might test your thyroid (if it not working properly, it can hurt your hair also) and sugar and other things in the blood.
good luck

G

Hmm, when I was 21 i lost about 25 kilogramms within nine months. I simply didn´t eat anything after 6.00 pm. I took dinner and that was it. I also ate a lot of fruits, mainly apples. You can eat as many apples as you want and will still lose some weight. Good Luck and congratulations to your decision!

CCS

Reaction score
the best thing is many small meals. I lost 12 pounds in under two weeks by eating a small meal every 2 hours and drinking lots of water. And i was doing very heavy labor 13 hours a day and making big money doing it. I'm sure i burned 4-5000 calories a day at least.

but small meals are key. Do 5-7 per day if you can, and stay above 2000 calories. this should be easy for you since you don't have to worry about stretching a scar on the back of your head, and probably don't have joint problems like I do.

Yeah, I drained the fat off my belly to see all my abs, but it made my ribs show too much on the mid sides, so i gained it back. I just need to put more muscle down there to show through the thin layer of fat. i don't know how to put muscle on the front sides of my ribs, about 10 inches below the arm pits and a little in front. Any ideas?

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What about a little trick??

I asked about weight loss in this forum some time ago, and some guy recommended me Red Acid Fat Incineration Matrix. Google it for greater detail.

It´s a pill routine that you have to take for a certain time. I took it for two weeks and it did wonders for me. It supressed apetite and increased my energy. Maybe a little too much, as I got a bit nervous while on it. Also, it is termogenic and sweating can be a problem.

Combined with exercise it does wonders. I lost weight wonderfully without starving (you don´t feel hungry), and without extra exercising (it raises calorie comsumption).

just inform yourself and decide...

Axon

Reaction score
Stick to lean proteins and simple carbs. White meat chicken, fish, vegetables. Not much else. Water only, maybe a cup of coffee with no sugar in the morning. Definitely no soda.

I'm surprised you say proteins fill you up more. I find the very opposite to be true: I have to take in more lean protein, on average, to feel "full." I can eat three hot dogs with buns and feel full for a good four hours, while I would need approximately 10 egg whites or 2 1/2 chicken breasts to stay satisfied for that long under my current diet.

Otherwise I recommend a good cardio regimen. The weight will be gone in 6-8 weeks if you stick with this, and maybe early depending on your body type. It will happen all at once; you will not drop two pounds one week, then two the next, and so on - rather, your weight will fluctuate. This will be frustrating, but one day you'll wake up and be 8 pounds lighter to stay.