Losing hope with my hair loss reversal

roborob

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 46 and have had thin hair all my life. I had 2 FUT hair transplant's (10 and 23 years ago) totaling 2800 grafts and the only lasting image of them are the lovely scars in the back of my head:( I was on and off finasteride and dutasteride for about a year combined and didn't notice any change. I've been on 5% minoxidil foam for about 1.5 years and i guess i'm a non responder because my hair loss has gotten worse in the past year.

I don't have any bald spots however, you can easily see my scalp especially when my hair is wet and in well lit areas. i'm losing hope here. I always come to this board to see if there's anything else i can try and it gives me hope but usually in the end, it all fails for me.

So, the last item I added to my regime was using a derma stamp. I started in the end of January - 0.5mm once/week and since then do it twice a week with the second time being 1.25 mm. I've read a lot of good things about it and i'm hopeful despite the fact that rogaine has not worked for me at all.

below is my regime at the moment. I plan on continuing this until the end of the year. If i get no results, I give up. I want to shave my head but i have those 2 hideous linear scars. I can't afford to have a micropigmentation procedure to cover them and I have "Trump hair", meaning as soon as i go outside, my hair blows all over the place because it's so thin, exposing my scalp easily.

Regime:

minoxidil 5% foam twice daily at morning and night
1.25 mg finasteride daily
derma stamp 0.5mm once/week
derma stamp 1.25mm once/week
scalp massage when washing hair with Biotin infused shampoo
take omega 3 fish oil capsules daily
eat lots of protein
let hair dry naturally (used to use hair dryer daily but noticed i was losing more hair that way)

Is there anyone out there who's had any success with derma stamping and if so, how long did it take to see results?
The only encouraging thing I've noticed is that my shedding is not as bad as it was last year. It could be a coincidence but I noticed the improvement after I stopped blow drying my hair. Who knows.

*edited* I forgot to mention that I also have an underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism) which i'm taking Synthroid for it. i have to alternate dosages every other day between 0.088 and 0.1 mg. I'm not sure if my thyroid can be causing my hair thinning since my meds are keeping my levels under control.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you thought about a combination of 5/10mg oral minoxidil and 5/10ml oral castor oil? i have had decent results from this combination, if you just want to stick to topical minoxidil i suggest using a 1mm roller every night before applying it. Just use light/moderate pressure.

roborob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you thought about a combination of 5/10mg oral minoxidil and 5/10ml oral castor oil? i have had decent results from this combination, if you just want to stick to topical minoxidil i suggest using a 1mm roller every night before applying it. Just use light/moderate pressure.
i only recently heard about oral minoxidil. Is it available OTC or only prescribed? Something i may consider because it's easier than applying topical version. I actually used castor oil on my hair a couple of times but find it's too thick to apply. Didn't know an oral version is available as well.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
i only recently heard about oral minoxidil. Is it available OTC or only prescribed? Something i may consider because it's easier than applying topical version. I actually used castor oil on my hair a couple of times but find it's too thick to apply. Didn't know an oral version is available as well.
You could always try Proxiphen from Dr Proctor and see how you do. I have thyroid issues too.