Losing hair from all over body

JudderMan

Reaction score
Hi there,

My doctor says it's not alopecia because the patterns of loss are wrong (ie. I don't have bald patches on my head, just general thinning).

I probably lose at the very least 100 head hairs per day and loads of eyelash and eyebrow hair. I can pull most any hair off the rest of my body with minimum effort.

I don't really look like I'm balding yet because I've always had thick hair, but finally gaps are becoming evident.

I also have bad dandruff and incredibly dry skin all over. White skin cells fall off anywhere I scratch.

Any words of wisdom anyone can give? I really don't know what to do about this. :dunno:

Edit - forgot to add: I'm a 20 year old male.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Your doctor's an idiot, but that's ok cause a lot of them are.

I think technically he means you don't have alopecia areata (considering alopecia just means hair loss which you obviously have), which he is mistakenly thinking has to come in the patchy variety. Alopecia areata can just as easily be experienced in a more diffuse form, wherein it's called diffuse alopecia areata.

The good news? It's not male pattern baldness. The bad news? It's still real difficult to treat in many cases. Most times this is a result of an autoimmune condition which means your number one concern now should be finding a new doctor who is capable of testing for/diagnosing and treating autoimmune conditions. This is not just a hair thing, the hair in this situation is most often just a warning sign of additional internal problems that have either already developed or are starting to develop.

Unfortunately with autoimmune conditions it's easier to get yeast infections on the skin which could worsen the issues you are experiencing so while waiting on your next doctor's appointment consider the use of antidandruff shampoos (which are almost all anti-fungal shampoos for this exact reason) along with hydrocortisone cream to get the itching under control. The topical hydrocortisone is not a permanent solution by far so be sure to be seeking an actual treatment for your condition.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Would going on a basic diet and taking a good multivit help Brains? The former more that the latter, as it might help to determine that food allergies are not behind the autoimmune reaction?

I believe other things can trigger them, but they are often genetic I think ._.

I believe it's referred to as "Alopecia Universalis".

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
An elimination diet can help if it turns out that it is a food related autoimmune condition but there are additional causes of autoimmune diseases (food related just happens to be the easiest to treat).

Food intolerances that can cause autoimmune conditions are genetic in origin so you can do the simple genetic testing for them which can tell you if you have the ability to develop the condition, or serological IgA/IgG tests that tell you (with not the best accuracy) if you have an active intolerance.

The genes tell your body what foods to mark as pathogens yet it's other aspects of your immune system that decide how effective that marking is at triggering a response.

LoosingHair

Reaction score
I have the same problem as you Judderman and I haven't been able to find a doctor who has been able to treat the problem. I have been taking hair vitamins but that has only helped strengthen my body hair. My hair has really thinned out. At the moment I lose easily 200 head hairs a day and can easily pull out 5-6 eyebrow hairs at a time. The hairs on the side of my head have become very sparse and the scalp is easily visible. And also I've lost the right half of my hairline. :(

JudderMan

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Brains Expel Hair said:
The good news? It's not male pattern baldness. The bad news? It's still real difficult to treat in many cases. Most times this is a result of an autoimmune condition which means your number one concern now should be finding a new doctor who is capable of testing for/diagnosing and treating autoimmune conditions. This is not just a hair thing, the hair in this situation is most often just a warning sign of additional internal problems that have either already developed or are starting to develop.

I've just looked up the symptoms of autoimmune conditions (http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/au ... cklist.htm) and reckon I suffer from at least half of the things listed.

I actually had an allergy test not too long ago and have eliminated all things I'm allergic too so I don't think it's food-related.

I'll definitely try to follow this up, preferably with a different doctor.

LoosingHair said:
I have the same problem as you Judderman and I haven't been able to find a doctor who has been able to treat the problem. I have been taking hair vitamins but that has only helped strengthen my body hair. My hair has really thinned out. At the moment I lose easily 200 head hairs a day and can easily pull out 5-6 eyebrow hairs at a time. The hairs on the side of my head have become very sparse and the scalp is easily visible. And also I've lost the right half of my hairline. :(

Yep, sounds like the same problem to me. :sobbing: I watched about seven eyelashes fall off me just yesterday. Have you considered it might be an autoimmune condition like Brains Expel Hair suggests?

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Allergies are only a specific subset of your immune system's response to foods. If you did have multiple food allergies then this additionally suggests an autoimmune condition. In order to completely rule out foods as a trigger you need to test for (through serological tests or an elimination diet) food intolerances as well.

Best of luck with your new doctor, many doctors still don't treat food intolerances as a serious ordeal unfortunately but that is slowly changing.

JudderMan

Reaction score
I've recently had a full blood test and hope to get the results soon. If I have an autoimmune disease will something weird show up in the results?

I seem to get 'attacks' at different moments of varying degrees. At the moment I'm sitting here shedding eyelashes, itchiness all over, stomach aches, head-hair loss... this is all after I've just had a bath (where the majority of hair loss happens). This is really irritating me and affecting my mood.

JudderMan

Reaction score
Woke up today, washed my face and found 5 eyebrow hairs on my hand. Straight after an eyelash got stuck in my eye and I lost a few trying to get it out (really sensitive and easiy irritated eyes).

My forehead also seems to have wanted to break out with teenage achne before a grey hair fell off my head.

*sigh*

Cambodia

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have alopecia totalis around 6 years now, and I have treatment that can help me to keep my hair . I knew how it feel when we have this disease. Anyway I'm free if you want to ask how to treat.

Puneet Sharma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly Same situation here...
Its too irritating
I m so depressed
Losing hair all over body except head...
Doctors says nothing is wrong
Hairs are becoming so thin
Totally fed up
Please tell me any solution ... :(

Thomas g

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have alopecia totalis around 6 years now, and I have treatment that can help me to keep my hair . I knew how it feel when we have this disease. Anyway I'm free if you want to ask how to treat.
Hi I am a 38 yr old male ,have been suffering for 3 years no hair on body ,what have you been doing to help keep the hair