Lose Of Visual Acuity Due To Oral Minoxidil

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tretinoin is a retinoid like Differin and the oral medication accutane, it's basically a easily absorbable hyper available version of vitamin A, it will make your skin look nice, and all retinoids and vitamin A itself can accelerate cellular turnover which means your hair and skin cycle will accelerate and the issue with that is that it seems to increase sensitivity to androgens while causing your hair to shed.

Another vitamin which is good for your skin but potentially bad for your hair is pantothenic acid, vitamin b5, it can help a lot for people with acne, but it again increases cellular turnover and can lock you in a perpetual state of shedding if you take it too much.

With retinoids, yes there are some studies that indicate promising results, but be warned retinoids are known to cause shedding in excess.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tretinoin is a retinoid like Differin and the oral medication accutane, it's basically a easily absorbable hyper available version of vitamin A, it will make your skin look nice, and all retinoids and vitamin A itself can accelerate cellular turnover which means your hair and skin cycle will accelerate and the issue with that is that it seems to increase sensitivity to androgens while causing your hair to shed.

Another vitamin which is good for your skin but potentially bad for your hair is pantothenic acid, vitamin b5, it can help a lot for people with acne, but it again increases cellular turnover and can lock you in a perpetual state of shedding if you take it too much.

With retinoids, yes there are some studies that indicate promising results, but be warned retinoids are known to cause shedding in excess.
I use this combination since 1998 . It was one of the key ingredientes in Xandrox, in fact, the first Xandrox of dr lee was just tretinoin plus minoxidil. This is the problem, when you use in vitro study to try to explain what already in vivo studies shows.
"vitamin A itself can accelerate cellular turnover" Yes sure, at what dose ? see, that is the problem with in vitro studies. Water, take it can actually kill you by simple take it to much. So anything when you over do it have a side effect.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ye dont use tret. Try searching around, there should be a threat talking about the dangers of tret for hair. Yes, it does improve the results of minoxidil, but it fucks up your hair long term and as we know min doesnt stop balding. I cant remember exactly why, but pls pls pls look into it. When i read the threat and all the studies in it i dropped that sh*t without a second thought. f*****g up your ability to grow hair for temporary min improvement is not worth it. Try finding it man. Id i come upon it again ill post it here tagging you
Use is since 1998 , none stop every single night. What you are telling have none sense at all and not a single study to back up what you are telling. There is not safer and better combination that have being use it for so long ( since the 80s ) .

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course it depends on each and everyone, I have astygmatism and myopia on my left eye, plus a kerataconus or irregular cornea (that can lead to losing the cornea and becoming blind), and slight astygmatism on my right eye.
If you have perfect vision and above 10/10 on each eye, like an airforce pilot, I bet you will not see the side effects.
I have keratoconus and my doctor strongly warned me against using minoxidil

el_duterino

Reaction score
Of course it depends on each and everyone, I have astygmatism and myopia on my left eye, plus a kerataconus or irregular cornea (that can lead to losing the cornea and becoming blind), and slight astygmatism on my right eye.
If you have perfect vision and above 10/10 on each eye, like an airforce pilot, I bet you will not see the side effects.
How much oral minoxidil did you take ?
IF you have keratoconus, one cause may be a lack of vitamin D. I use minoxidil, I have Keratoconus (k) , had intacs implanted in the worse eye and also had collagen cross link in both eyes, this was done 11 years ago, but I did not notice a correlation with minoxidil, and my K started to go worse at faster speed well before I started minoxidil.

I now take oral D3 vitamin 5000 IU a day and it has improved my K over the course of 6 months, astigmatism and shadows have improved a lot. I wish we knew this before. I am sure that my K was made worse by a lack of vitamin D but this link was not studied until recently. UV light can make K worse too so I prefer to avoid the sun and take oral vitamin D, which also helps with covid and infections.

Do a search and you will see the links between vitamin D and Keratoconus and reports from people using high vitamin D dosages to improve their K on forums

I also read a post here that balding men have a 53% drop in vitamin D level amongst other, based on latest studies so here is another link between losing hair and keratoconus

Maybe minoxidil has an effect on K via collagen reduction, the safest then is to only use topical, once a day and use gloves to massage it as a lot gets absorbed through the fingers. I use nitrile throw away gloves one size larger so you can re-use the same glove for a long time.

Regardless, If you only have mild K, you need to have a collagen cross link performed on the eye asap before it gets worse, because K can suddenly get worse at much higher speed, its not a linear disease progression. The cross link will strengthen the cornea and prevent K from getting worse, its a procedure which took 30 min per eye

Last edited:

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much oral minoxidil did you take ?
IF you have keratoconus, one cause may be a lack of vitamin D. I use minoxidil, I have Keratoconus (k) , had intacs implanted in the worse eye and also had collagen cross link in both eyes, this was done 11 years ago, but I did not notice a correlation with minoxidil, and my K started to go worse at faster speed well before I started minoxidil.

I now take oral D3 vitamin 5000 IU a day and it has improved my K over the course of 6 months, astigmatism and shadows have improved a lot. I wish we knew this before. I am sure that my K was made worse by a lack of vitamin D but this link was not studied until recently. UV light can make K worse too so I prefer to avoid the sun and take oral vitamin D, which also helps with covid and infections.

Do a search and you will see the links between vitamin D and Keratoconus and reports from people using high vitamin D dosages to improve their K on forums

I also read a post here that balding men have a 53% drop in vitamin D level amongst other, based on latest studies so here is another link between losing hair and keratoconus

Maybe minoxidil has an effect on K via collagen reduction, the safest then is to only use topical, once a day and use gloves to massage it as a lot gets absorbed through the fingers. I use nitrile throw away gloves one size larger so you can re-use the same glove for a long time.

Regardless, If you only have mild K, you need to have a collagen cross link performed on the eye asap before it gets worse, because K can suddenly get worse at much higher speed, its not a linear disease progression. The cross link will strengthen the cornea and prevent K from getting worse, its a procedure which took 30 min per eye
I got cross-linking this year and was pretty sad that I couldn't use minoxidil for beard growth (can't grow one naturally). Your keratoconus is stable despite years of minoxidil usage right?

el_duterino

Reaction score
Did the Doctor explain exactly why you cannot use minoxidil ? Do we have studies on minoxidil and Keratoconus ? I did a quick search but could not find anything

I started minoxidil 2 years after the cross linking , and my KC did not get worse. Sometimes I used a lot of minoxidil and even oral 5mg a day for 2-3 months without noticing, effect on KC but again, since I got the cross link I would imagine that it should halt KC whatever you do. My eye Doctor told me to avoid UV exposure, which I already was doing anyway, many years before KC. The only thing that improved my vision is being on 5000 IU daily of vitamin D, which I started early this year, is based on the most recent studies, see below

Conclusion: The patients with KC had lower serum vitamin D levels than those of age- and sex-matched healthy controls. The present study could be a valuable entry point for further researches investigating the potential link between vitamin D and KC.

KC progression varies a lot between people, and is also age related, I am in my mid 50's now. Just because my KC did not get worse on minoxidil does not mean yours won't though. KC causes are still very unknown.
You should try the vitamin D course for sure, there is a clear link between androgenic alopecia, keratoconus and vitamin D deficiency

Last edited:

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did the Doctor explain exactly why you cannot use minoxidil ? Do we have studies on minoxidil and Keratoconus ? I did a quick search but could not find anything

I started minoxidil 2 years after the cross linking , and my KC did not get worse. Sometimes I used a lot of minoxidil and even oral 5mg a day for 2-3 months without noticing, effect on KC but again, since I got the cross link I would imagine that it should halt KC whatever you do. My eye Doctor told me to avoid UV exposure, which I already was doing anyway, many years before KC. The only thing that improved my vision is being on 5000 IU daily of vitamin D, which I started early this year, is based on the most recent studies, see below

Conclusion: The patients with KC had lower serum vitamin D levels than those of age- and sex-matched healthy controls. The present study could be a valuable entry point for further researches investigating the potential link between vitamin D and KC.

KC progression varies a lot between people, and is also age related, I am in my mid 50's now. Just because my KC did not get worse on minoxidil does not mean yours won't though. KC causes are still very unknown.
You should try the vitamin D course for sure, there is a clear link between androgenic alopecia, keratoconus and vitamin D deficiency
I think he told me that minoxidil inhibited a precursor of collagen, therefore lessening the CXL bonds and progressing KC further