Lose Of Visual Acuity Due To Oral Minoxidil

darsith

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello I have been experiencing a lose of eye sight on my 2 eyes due to oral minoxidil.
I have been taking oral minoxidil for only 3 months, and I am in my late 30's
Of course I am going to stop taking it, as I dont see the point in becoming blind to grow more hair.
I will continue to use topical minoxidil , it is fair less systemic than oral minoxidil, with oral dutasteride.
I would like to know if anyone experienced visual acuity reduction?
It seems that medicine against hyper tension like minxoxidil could make prebyopia come faster.
Anyways, I hope to recover some visual acuity in the next few months.

Last edited:

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes this is a side effect that people on this forum have had in the past and has been scientifically observed as well as it is listed as a possible side effect of Minoxidil

darsith

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes this is a side effect that people on this forum have had in the past and has been scientifically observed as well as it is listed as a possible side effect of Minoxidil
Did you recover your visual acuity after stopping oral minoxidil or is it permanent?

darsith

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never had this side effect myself, I was saying that other people on the forum have had this side effect
Well your are lucky, it sucks to be this sensitive to oral minoxidil.
It works quite well, but oh well I don't see the point in damaging my eyes for hair.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where this side effect was scientifically observed? I read almost every study on oral minoxidil, not just for hair loss but for hypertension too, and non of it show any sides effect linked to eye sight. There is one case of study of NAION but its make vision suddenly worse rather than at constant rate.

darsith

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where this side effect was scientifically observed? I read almost every study on oral minoxidil, not just for hair loss but for hypertension too, and non of it show any sides effect linked to eye sight. There is one case of study of NAION but its make vision suddenly worse rather than at constant rate.
Minoxidil side effects are listed as blurred vision or changes in vision.

darsith

My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course it depends on each and everyone, I have astygmatism and myopia on my left eye, plus a kerataconus or irregular cornea (that can lead to losing the cornea and becoming blind), and slight astygmatism on my right eye.
If you have perfect vision and above 10/10 on each eye, like an airforce pilot, I bet you will not see the side effects.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Of course it depends on each and everyone, I have astygmatism and myopia on my left eye, plus a kerataconus or irregular cornea (that can lead to losing the cornea and becoming blind), and slight astygmatism on my right eye.
If you have perfect vision and above 10/10 on each eye, like an airforce pilot, I bet you will not see the side effects.
How can you be so sure when you already have an eye problem like keratoconus that can cause a decrease in visual acuity at any time. Maybe your left eye is starting to show signs of keratoconus too. If minoxidil does cause some swelling of the cornea which it might since it can cause water retention, then you will have a problem with your vision. If anything, I think it might be causing your corneas to swell and that is not good for someone with keratoconus. Minoxidil is going to be absorbed into the scalp and temples that share the same blood supply and lymphatic system with the eyes so it is very possible you are noting some type of visual problem.

darsith

My Regimen
Reaction score
How can you be so sure when you already have an eye problem like keratoconus that can cause a decrease in visual acuity at any time. Maybe your left eye is starting to show signs of keratoconus too. If minoxidil does cause some swelling of the cornea which it might since it can cause water retention, then you will have a problem with your vision. If anything, I think it might be causing your corneas to swell and that is not good for someone with keratoconus. Minoxidil is going to be absorbed into the scalp and temples that share the same blood supply and lymphatic system with the eyes so it is very possible you are noting some type of visual problem.
I went to the ophtlamologist yesterday and he told me to stop minoxidil orally and even topically to avoid further eye problems.
I will follow the doctor's advice for the time being.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
What did you expect ? And extremly old drug, not longer use it for hipertension cause the amount of side effects. It is safer, works at least as good doing oral, but some stupids started , again cause it is nothing new, to use it oral, and all the lambs go after that .
There is not a single study, not in 4 decades, showing that oral minoxidil is more effective than topical . Not even one.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What did you expect ? And extremly old drug, not longer use it for hipertension cause the amount of side effects. It is safer, works at least as good doing oral, but some stupids started , again cause it is nothing new, to use it oral, and all the lambs go after that .
There is not a single study, not in 4 decades, showing that oral minoxidil is more effective than topical . Not even one.
To responders to topical minoxidil, it is no different. But nearly 60% of people don't respond to the topical version at all and it is like pouring water onto their scalp. Whereas OM is metabolized in the liver and is easier transformed into minoxidil sulfate which works for everybody. I tried topical twice for 6months each and nothing, oral at 5mg has definitely improved my hair, although I will be stopping lol. Will try min +tret + needling.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
To responders to topical minoxidil, it is no different. But nearly 60% of people don't respond to the topical version at all and it is like pouring water onto their scalp. Whereas OM is metabolized in the liver and is easier transformed into minoxidil sulfate which works for everybody. I tried topical twice for 6months each and nothing, oral at 5mg has definitely improved my hair, although I will be stopping lol. Will try min +tret + needling.
First it is not 60 % , more like 40 %. And this is cause minoxidil must be convert to minoxidil sulphate to work. For this , you need to have an enzyme active. Well. tretinoin, as you can search on pubmed, active that enzyme ( that is a study from 2019 but it have being use it with success since early 90s ) . So, This is the reason why the combo tretinoin/minoxidil is so, so good and so , so much better than minoxidil alone. Plus, tretinoin per se, have anti hair loss properties.

So, IF, and only IF, oral works better will be ( we are talking about minoxidil ) cause more minoxidil is convert it inside the body to minoxidil sulphate, but, existing tretinoin , is a brainless idea to use oral minoxidil oral .

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO minoxidil is a terrible f*****g drug for hair loss, and should only be used topically if you can handle it without it causing premature aging effects, if you observe those or anything else such as an allergic or inflammatory response, you need to stop using it immediately.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO minoxidil is a terrible f*****g drug for hair loss, and should only be used topically if you can handle it without it causing premature aging effects, if you observe those or anything else such as an allergic or inflammatory response, you need to stop using it immediately.
allergic/inflammatory response from minoxidil is most likley from propylene glycol which is in topical version. I read a lot of studie on oral minoxidil and I was surprised how safe this drug is, most drugs which are even consider safe in medicine in long term can cause cancer etc. while minoxidil can cause edema but mostly in people with some kidney impairment or with hypertension because hypertension in it's self can cause edema in the body.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
And don't you think it is smarter to use tretinoin topical ? As most of the top doctors have being use it since lates 80s and last year we got this wonderfull incredible study ? :
Tretinoin enhances minoxidil response in androgenetic alopecia patients by upregulating follicular sulfotransferase enzymes

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop repeating stupidities . I am 42 years old, using none stop since 1998 ! every single night . It don't cause "premature aging effects" !

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
allergic/inflammatory response from minoxidil is most likley from propylene glycol which is in topical version. I read a lot of studie on oral minoxidil and I was surprised how safe this drug is, most drugs which are even consider safe in medicine in long term can cause cancer etc. while minoxidil can cause edema but mostly in people with some kidney impairment or with hypertension because hypertension in it's self can cause edema in the body.
"I read a lot of studie on oral minoxidil and I was surprised how safe this drug"
Yes, so """""""""safe""""""" that they took it out of the market for treat blood pleasure cause the side effects.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop repeating stupidities . I am 42 years old, using none stop since 1998 ! every single night . It don't cause "premature aging effects" !

The precise reason why minoxidil manages to age some people and others it does not is still not fully understood, if I were to be honest I think it has to do with a complex arrangement of factors including growth hormone levels and especially estrogen. It could also have to do specifically with the kind of collagen synthesis that is unique to your body.

There are people with medical conditions such as Ehlers Danlos who have very specific collagen synthesis peculiarities but others out there are perhaps more subtle, there is absolutely nothing stupid about what I'm saying, many many many people have complained about the aging effects of minoxidil, it may not affect all people but it absolute does have an effect on a respectable percentage.

Furthermore, ANY medication which messes with bloodflow and vasodilation can cause vision problems, in fact sildenafil which I use in the winter to improve blood flow for my hands and scalp due to cold intolerance - can cause vision problems and even permanent vision damage if it is abused.

Absolutely nothing stupid about what I'm saying, stop being triggered, if for you it doesn't apply let it fly.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And don't you think it is smarter to use tretinoin topical ? As most of the top doctors have being use it since lates 80s and last year we got this wonderfull incredible study ? :
Tretinoin enhances minoxidil response in androgenetic alopecia patients by upregulating follicular sulfotransferase enzymes
Ye dont use tret. Try searching around, there should be a threat talking about the dangers of tret for hair. Yes, it does improve the results of minoxidil, but it fucks up your hair long term and as we know min doesnt stop balding. I cant remember exactly why, but pls pls pls look into it. When i read the threat and all the studies in it i dropped that sh*t without a second thought. f*****g up your ability to grow hair for temporary min improvement is not worth it. Try finding it man. Id i come upon it again ill post it here tagging you