Looking For Prevention Rather Than Cure. dutasteride/finasteride + Min?

Curcelli

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, hoping to find some answers to my questions and get a better understanding of hair loss and prevention and this seems like the best place!

Basically I am a Norwood 2 at worst I would say and I am 24 years old, I monitor my hair every 3 months by taking pictures and measurements and in the last year there seems to have been virtually no change.

My dad is 62 and for his age has pretty decent hair, his recession is strange, he has his temporal points and sides very much intact but just the top has lost depth and thickness. And overall I don't really come from a family of male pattern baldness (not that it means I can slack off).

As it stands I take some precautions like I make a Coconut oil, Castor Oil, Emu Oil and Argan Oil mix then I drench my hair in it and massage my scalp quite harshly with a scalp massager, I also use the scalp massager in the shower with conditioner.

Now I wanna get a proper routine that I know will prevent me from loosing my hair but also maintain it's thickness and temporal points and hopefully get it back to how it was when I was 15 (wishful thinking :rolleyes:)But you get the idea.

From the research I have done I have come to the conclusion that Dutasteride (0.5mg3x a week?) plus Rogaine (Minoxidil) is the best option to achieve this?

My thought process is this will eliminate a potential future loss and keep it how it is and maybe even improve it a little?

So hoping any guys or gals on here can guide me int he right direction and give me some knowledge also I am in the UK so if anyone knows any places to buy legit stuff it would be greatly appreciated!

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well you can start with the standard regimen finasteride + minoxidil.
It will frozen your hair loss for a lot of time and give you some regrowth/thickness. If after a time you notice you are worsening you can add some duta pill weekly or change the finas to dutas.
You can also use ketonozolol 2% shampoo every other day, it has some anti androgen and anti inflammatory propoerties to help with prevention and thickness . Good luck

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At 24 just live your life... be smart and proactive and just keep a check on things every 3-6 months only when you start to see big changes introduce some of the treatments. No point subjecting your body to unnecessary things right now

Curcelli

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Is there a reason to start om finasteride instead of dutasteride?

Everything i've read points to dutasteride being superior?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Post pictures of your hair. Personally I would start on finasteride as it is cheaper and has less possibility of side effects. Save dutasteride for when sh*t really hits the fan.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is also ru, an local androgen receptor blocker. The advantage would be that you are safe from DHT and testo. Some ppl are more testo sensitive, so just inhibiting dht does less to nothing to them depending on the extend.

DiffThinner35

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Is there a reason to start om finasteride instead of dutasteride?

Everything i've read points to dutasteride being superior?

Dutasteride is stronger than finasteride, so it might have stronger side effects.

You could start with 0.5mg propecia daily to see how you respond to this medication. And if you can maintain your hair with this dose and don't experience any major side effects, you could take it for years and years.

If your hairloss gets worse, you can do 1mg propecia daily or even go with 0.5mg dutasteride.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride may do the job for you so there is no reason getting on a much more potent anti androgen when it is not required.

Curcelli

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is stronger than finasteride, so it might have stronger side effects.

You could start with 0.5mg propecia daily to see how you respond to this medication. And if you can maintain your hair with this dose and don't experience any major side effects, you could take it for years and years.

If your hairloss gets worse, you can do 1mg propecia daily or even go with 0.5mg dutasteride.
So is propecia Finasteride?

Curcelli

My Regimen
Reaction score
Post pictures of your hair. Personally I would start on finasteride as it is cheaper and has less possibility of side effects. Save dutasteride for when sh*t really hits the fan.
12193632_1069202356431634_7536321340719315524_n.jpg

I'm in the grey, don't really have many pics on hand but that one you can see better because my hair is combed back

Curcelli

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was just implying that you're good looking and probably slay mad pussy.

Bad pic to judge your hair by. Take some close up pictures on your hair line.
Thanks dude ;)

998493_1099800363371833_2450278424220913919_n.jpg

I'll have to take some, you can kinda see a better angle there I guess but still not great.

Curcelli

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right chaps, i've read finasteride can ruin your skin and face? Is that right?

Also anyone get it in UK? Where is a good place for good product?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right chaps, i've read finasteride can ruin your skin and face? Is that right?

Also anyone get it in UK? Where is a good place for good product?

Finasteride won't, minoxidil is more likely to do that (it messes with collagen production). Hop on a skincare routine if you aren't already (i.e., Retin-A, Vitamin C serums, sunscreen, & a moisturizer).

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It does not f*** your face up at all, but Rogaine (minoxidil) will. Stay away from that sh*t, would be my advice.

You can get a script for Propecia (finasteride) from Boots online, there are other places (cheaper), but I'm saying Boots to you as they can be 100% trusted.

Propecia is the main branded version, there are third party generic versions, however I'm a brand wh***.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly OP if you do have hair loss (post some better pictures of your hair), it's very minor. I would just get on finasteride (1 mg or 1.25 mg if you get a script for 5 mg) daily and not even bother with minoxidil. It's not worth the hassle for your stage of the game. I would also recommend my skincare routine I posted earlier if you really are trying to keep yourself looking youthful.