Looking for feedback: Dr Ray Woods

Hiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Woods is one of the best doctors in the world. His manner may be a bit gruff, but when it comes to performing surgery he is talented and gives it his all. When it comes to FUE, he is the most skilled at it. He is expensive compared to most, but he does all the work himself. I wouldn't pay attention to his ranting about proscar. If you go strip, Russell Knudsen would be the only Doctor I would consider.

fedup

Reaction score
Hiker, have you been to woods? If you have, would be great to hear some more about it or see some pics.

fedup

Reaction score
Hi Hiker, Thanks for your help. Did you have FUE or BHT done? was it repair work? How many grafts each time, when were you there? Are you happy with your results? Do you have any pics?

Sorry about all the questions, it is just so great to find someone who is on these blogs who has been to woods.

Hiker

Established Member
Reaction score
One visit I had scalp fue and the other both scalp and BHT. Both grew well. It's best to mix the bht in with scalp to increase density.

HTGUY

Reaction score
Dr M Alam Melbourne Victoria for FUE?

That really does not sound too great. Dr Woods has been known to do good work, but it's recent results that matter.

I definitely would not be using him after that experience, how about looking in on a Dr Martnick (sp?) think she's based in Oz, if not, then travelling will be your best option

Has anybody gone to see Dr M Alam in Melbourne Victoria for FUE? Apparently he's had extensive experience in FUE since 1996 and has worked in the US, Europe and UAE, his prices are pretty good too and does densely packed FUE...

Pls share your experience with me on FUE surgeons here in OZ esp Dr alam above :)

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr Alam can't possibly have FUE experience "since 1996" since Dr Woods was developing the modern version of FUE then. Also, unless Dr Alam has a license to practice medicine in the US, he has never practiced here. Licensing requirements are different all over the world.

I see this is an old thread, so maybe not worth responding to, but there's so much misinformation and misunderstanding in here...

First of all, 600 grafts (what Woods does per day) doesn't give you "wow" results, because it's a tiny number of grafts (someone commented "what good is that going to do"). The point is that Woods goes slowly, to maximize yield. Yield is the percentage of grafts that grow (or grow healthy and strong) versus 'graft death' and most patients don't have a clue how important it is. Everyone has a limited amount of donor hair (not nearly enough) so every graft is considered important. It would be easier for Woods to do FUE the way others do it - have a team of assistants doing everything - then you can do big sessions. But what is the yield, and is it consistently high for patients no matter what type of hair they have? There's evidence that dense packing FUE sessions have a lower rate of survival. Small sessions insure against that. A lot of the things that patients complain about with Woods are actually designed that way for your protection (small sessions, no medical techs performing surgery, only the doctor). Yes, it's more expensive. Nobody considers that a plus. It's also a lot less stressful, as you're not being swarmed by staff members, like you are at other clinics. I find hair transplant surgery to be extremely stressful already, and my surgeries with Campbell and Woods were the least stressful by far.

Other stuff in this thread that irked me:
- a consultation at 5pm, and he's upset that the doctor left a patient alone to meet him, but then he's also upset because the doctor didn't spend as much time as he wanted.
- No receptionist (so what)
- Woods has the same reasons for not liking Propecia as many patients. You can still take Propecia, he considers it a personal decision. He won't tell you to stop, turn you down, etc
- Campbell and Woods left the operating room LESS than Dr Cole. You might notice it more because there's not a bunch of low-paid medical techs doing the doctor's job, like at other clinics
- There's not a ton of info about the clinic online, because Dr Woods is satisfied with the size of his practice, and he rarely posts online. Other doctors make thousands of posts to promote themselves (Cole, Arvind Poswal, etc).
- This is a small practice, with the doctors doing virtually everything themselves. Go to a big clinic instead, if you don't value getting personal attention from the doctor.

I don't care if people choose Woods/Campbell or not (if you look at my posts, I often discourage hair transplant in general). I'm not promoting any doctor, and I think the hair transplant procedure is terribly flawed and a bad decision for many guys. But Woods and Campbell have the most FUE experience by far, and they go out of their way to protect the patient with small sessions. If you want FUE and are in Australia, they are an obvious option to consider.

jaa1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. Has anyone had any experience with Dr Alam FUE in Melbourne?

I like in Melbourne and am possibly looking for an alternative to traveling to Dr Woods in Sydney.

Any feedback on other FUE surgeons would be much appreciated. Thanks

tom.m

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Jason and Badmaxx. Jason this link you gave me was an eye opener and I really appreciate that I read it now.

I felt strong about having a hair transplant with Woods. I have a consult and can clearly see what this complain is all about. My consult was at 5pm, when I got there (his practice is a house), he was the one opening the door! His assistant was not there. He took me upstairs where I was waiting without any idea where he has gone until his assistant turned up. She didn't even know what was going on as I waited for just over half an hour when she walked casually across the corridor to realise that i was still waiting in that room. She made the comment that she thought that Woods was with me, but apparently he went back to his patient! I was taken by her to another room to watch a DVD, the same as the one on his website! I waited for another 15 min before Woods came along and wasted time bad mouthing proscar and other products. I had written some questions to ask him, but he was so casual going on and on about proscar and other stuff! I felt that as of he had this salesman technique to make you feel desperate and realise that absolutely nothing will work except for his operation! By the time he finished, I started asking him questions and he appears uninterested, this is the usual routine sort of thing and telling me that what i should worry about is the cost of the operation! By the time we gone through some of my questions, he said " Look I have to go back to my patient, I have to go!". He didn't answer the rest of my questions and had to cut me short saying "do you want to see my assistant?" (he made it clear earlier that prices and booking is through his assistant ) The poor patient was still waiting!

Woods charges $8,250 for 500 (used to be 600) grafts. He can now do only 500 grafts per day (his old website still says 600). That is almost 2.5 times the cost with other surgeons here in Australia. I didn't care about the cost, but look how he was casually walking around the house, sorry i should have said practice, and the poor patient has no other option but to wait for his majesty!

Badmaxx, if you have read this, please read the complaint and make your own judgement. If you have been treated like that (and I can clearly see it in the just over 1 hour spent in his practice), you will hate all hair transplant, wouldn't you??There are probably good surgeons around, but when you see someone treating you like Woods and charging top $$$, you may feel a little bit emotional.

I went to Woods after reading the stuff in his website and thinking that I will be in good hands. I was a bit puzzled at the end of this consult. Reading this complaint, makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again Jason!

tom.m

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have had 3 separate FUE translants with Dr Ray Woods in Sydney (2016-2014) and, in my view, he is the best in Australia at what he does. I have had previous strip procedures in a Brisbane clinic that were not effective. By contrast, Dr Ray Woods' FUE procedures were very effective for me. FUE was relatively painless compared to the strip procedures. Unlike strip surgery (which involves a twilight anesthetic), with FUE, you are fully aware and conscious of what is happening. The FUE procedures are minimally invasive, compared to the strip method. Accordingly, I had a very fast recovery for all of the 3 FUE procedures with Dr Ray Woods.

The strength of Dr Ray Woods FUE procedure is that he does it all, extraction and transplantation. It may take longer as there is no team involved, but Dr Ray Woods' approach ensures better quality control, a high standard of work, and more effective results. By contrast, my previous (around 5) strip procedures involved a team of one Doctor and a nurse(s) and I think (I was under twilight anesthetic) both of them did the transplant work which gave differential and less effective results.

Dr Ray Woods has a unique personality, which some may find "different" but I found him very likeable, very honest, very ethical and trustworthy. Based on my experience, I would recommend Dr Ray Woods to anyone considering FUE.