Looking for feedback: Dr Ray Woods

Lookingforsolution

New Member
Reaction score
0
I am from Sydney, Australia. I am considering a hair transplant with Dr Ray Woods. Can anyone please provide feedback if hey had any procedures by Dr Woods. Thanks.
 

Petchsky

Senior Member
Reaction score
12
Dr Woods is very well respected, been around for a long time, does FUE, body hair transplants, pioneered his own FUE technique...from what i have seen he is very good.
 

Lookingforsolution

New Member
Reaction score
0
Petchsky said:
Dr Woods is very well respected, been around for a long time, does FUE, body hair transplants, pioneered his own FUE technique...from what i have seen he is very good.

Thanks Petchsky:) When you said "from what I have seen", have you seen his work in photos? in real life? Could you please elaborate on this. Thanks again
 

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
0
Lookingforsolution said:
I am from Sydney, Australia. I am considering a hair transplant with Dr Ray Woods. Can anyone please provide feedback if hey had any procedures by Dr Woods. Thanks.
Dr. Woods is probably the originator of fue and has been doing it for a long time. On the other hand, he comes across as too paranoid, conservative and slightly behind times too. Best to contact as many doctors as possible.
 

Petchsky

Senior Member
Reaction score
12
Lookingforsolution said:
Petchsky said:
Dr Woods is very well respected, been around for a long time, does FUE, body hair transplants, pioneered his own FUE technique...from what i have seen he is very good.

Thanks Petchsky:) When you said "from what I have seen", have you seen his work in photos? in real life? Could you please elaborate on this. Thanks again

I've seen photos, and videos on youtube
 

badmaxx

New Member
Reaction score
0
Jason_2009 said:

Interesting... but, notice how the "reviewer" goes on and says the alleged problem is systemic? He rails against Dr. Woods, whether deservedly or not, and then suddenly every surgeon in the transplant business is a "rip-off merchant".

Which are you reviewing, Dr. Woods or the entire industry?

I've never met Dr. Woods, much less been to Australia. But, judging by his reputation from countless hours of online research, this claim seems out of character for Dr. Woods.

Note, the respondent at the bottom of the page claims that it's the right of the patient not to disclose photos. Fair enough. But, on the other hand, he spins it by claiming it's the INDUSTRY who misuses photos -- well, yes, that's well-known to occur... but, how does that relate to whether or not this disgruntled reviewer should post his own personal photos? :unsure:
 

Lookingforsolution

New Member
Reaction score
0
Thanks Jason and Badmaxx. Jason this link you gave me was an eye opener and I really appreciate that I read it now.

I felt strong about having a hair transplant with Woods. I have a consult and can clearly see what this complain is all about. My consult was at 5pm, when I got there (his practice is a house), he was the one opening the door! His assistant was not there. He took me upstairs where I was waiting without any idea where he has gone until his assistant turned up. She didn't even know what was going on as I waited for just over half an hour when she walked casually across the corridor to realise that i was still waiting in that room. She made the comment that she thought that Woods was with me, but apparently he went back to his patient! I was taken by her to another room to watch a DVD, the same as the one on his website! I waited for another 15 min before Woods came along and wasted time bad mouthing proscar and other products. I had written some questions to ask him, but he was so casual going on and on about proscar and other stuff! I felt that as of he had this salesman technique to make you feel desperate and realise that absolutely nothing will work except for his operation! By the time he finished, I started asking him questions and he appears uninterested, this is the usual routine sort of thing and telling me that what i should worry about is the cost of the operation! By the time we gone through some of my questions, he said " Look I have to go back to my patient, I have to go!". He didn't answer the rest of my questions and had to cut me short saying "do you want to see my assistant?" (he made it clear earlier that prices and booking is through his assistant ) The poor patient was still waiting!

Woods charges $8,250 for 500 (used to be 600) grafts. He can now do only 500 grafts per day (his old website still says 600). That is almost 2.5 times the cost with other surgeons here in Australia. I didn't care about the cost, but look how he was casually walking around the house, sorry i should have said practice, and the poor patient has no other option but to wait for his majesty!

Badmaxx, if you have read this, please read the complaint and make your own judgement. If you have been treated like that (and I can clearly see it in the just over 1 hour spent in his practice), you will hate all hair transplant, wouldn't you??There are probably good surgeons around, but when you see someone treating you like Woods and charging top $$$, you may feel a little bit emotional.

I went to Woods after reading the stuff in his website and thinking that I will be in good hands. I was a bit puzzled at the end of this consult. Reading this complaint, makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again Jason!
 

Petchsky

Senior Member
Reaction score
12
That really does not sound too great. Dr Woods has been known to do good work, but it's recent results that matter.

I definitely would not be using him after that experience, how about looking in on a Dr Martnick (sp?) think she's based in Oz, if not, then travelling will be your best option
 

Jason_2009

New Member
Reaction score
0
LFS,

Thanks for your reply..He sounds very shady to say the least
and comfirms my gut feeling about the guy.
At the end of the day what the hell are 500 grafts going to do for anyone thats asuming they even grow!

If your considering Dr Martnick check out charlieb work he had done on hair restoration forum..I would run a mile from her
Theres a few other negative posts to about her which im sure you could dig up if you have a look

Like ive said before i would love it if there was a top surgeon in Australia but After looking for the last year there is nothing that stands out to me.
 

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
0
Lookingforsolution said:
I am from Sydney, Australia. I am considering a hair transplant with Dr Ray Woods. Can anyone please provide feedback if hey had any procedures by Dr Woods. Thanks.

Woods is a good doctor. Arrogant and costly, but not bad. If you are in Sydney and can afford him, go ahead.
 

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
0
Lookingforsolution said:
Thanks Jason and Badmaxx. Jason this link you gave me was an eye opener and I really appreciate that I read it now.

I felt strong about having a hair transplant with Woods. I have a consult and can clearly see what this complain is all about. My consult was at 5pm, when I got there (his practice is a house), he was the one opening the door! His assistant was not there. He took me upstairs where I was waiting without any idea where he has gone until his assistant turned up. She didn't even know what was going on as I waited for just over half an hour when she walked casually across the corridor to realise that i was still waiting in that room. She made the comment that she thought that Woods was with me, but apparently he went back to his patient! I was taken by her to another room to watch a DVD, the same as the one on his website! I waited for another 15 min before Woods came along and wasted time bad mouthing proscar and other products. I had written some questions to ask him, but he was so casual going on and on about proscar and other stuff! I felt that as of he had this salesman technique to make you feel desperate and realise that absolutely nothing will work except for his operation! By the time he finished, I started asking him questions and he appears uninterested, this is the usual routine sort of thing and telling me that what i should worry about is the cost of the operation! By the time we gone through some of my questions, he said " Look I have to go back to my patient, I have to go!". He didn't answer the rest of my questions and had to cut me short saying "do you want to see my assistant?" (he made it clear earlier that prices and booking is through his assistant ) The poor patient was still waiting!

Woods charges $8,250 for 500 (used to be 600) grafts. He can now do only 500 grafts per day (his old website still says 600). That is almost 2.5 times the cost with other surgeons here in Australia. I didn't care about the cost, but look how he was casually walking around the house, sorry i should have said practice, and the poor patient has no other option but to wait for his majesty!

Badmaxx, if you have read this, please read the complaint and make your own judgement. If you have been treated like that (and I can clearly see it in the just over 1 hour spent in his practice), you will hate all hair transplant, wouldn't you??There are probably good surgeons around, but when you see someone treating you like Woods and charging top $$$, you may feel a little bit emotional.

I went to Woods after reading the stuff in his website and thinking that I will be in good hands. I was a bit puzzled at the end of this consult. Reading this complaint, makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again Jason!

Oops! I didnt read this. Thats bad. Woods should hire professional staff atleast. Its bad when a clinic starts cutting corners. I went to Dr. Arvind. Everyone was professional. During the consult, he made it a point to listen to my concerns and plan my hair transplant based on what I wanted. Most important, towards the end, he asked me if I had any questions and answered each of them in detail.
I went 2 more times with additional questions and each time I felt never felt any hint of arrogance. Just compassion and a will to help me.
 

fedup

New Member
Reaction score
0
Jason_2009 said:

Hi everyone,

I have the same dilemma as Devender and not hvaing much luck with anything. I can across this post on this forum so I thought I'd ask a few more things.

Instinct led me to think woods would be the best option because he has been doing this for so so many years and experience has to count for something. The problem however was there does not seem to be much patient or result info on him or his work after 2004.

I don't mind the cost, but I have seen messages, on a few random sites which are not hairloss forums, about this problem of him walking in and out of surgery and not really focusing on making you feel comfortable.

The whole selling point with woods was that all the work was done by him and his sister where as even the best of the best of other doctors ahve techs carrying out some of the work. But what is the good in it if he is just going to be breezing in and out of the room?

Devender, what did you decide on in the end?

Also Jason_2009, I can't seem to find any info on woods on that link you posted. Do you know if it still exists?
 

Wylie

Member
Reaction score
0
If this is the worst I'm going to hear about Dr. Woods, then I'm not the least bit worried about the kind of result I'm going to get. You dont think pioneers in ___ are not sometimes a little eccentric?

I've yet to visit the perfect clinic. In fact, I'm not sure too many exist. Its the results that matter, nothing else. And I do mean nothing else.
 

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
4
Mini&Micro said:
You dont think pioneers in ___ are not sometimes a little eccentric?

This is the quote you'll look back on after a sh*t job by someone who thinks they're too good to take their time and say to yourself, "I should have known better."
 

fedup

New Member
Reaction score
0
Hi Mini&micro - does that mean you are going to Woods soon? Do you have any links or info on his results - they don't seem to be as easy to find as those of other docs. I like the fact that he was a pioneer but it would be nice to have access to some more info.

Has anyone else on this forum been to him?

PersonGuy - who would you say is a good Doctor to consider?
 

fedup

New Member
Reaction score
0
Also just to add that I do think someone not paying attention to you when they are working on you surgically does seem like kind of a big deal. I am not saying that there aren't bad or even worse doctors out there, but it just isn't something you want to hear especially when there is already the added problem of a lack of information on that particular person.
 

banco

Member
Reaction score
2
I'm in Australia and I think you really have to go outside Australia if you want to find a decent doctor. There seems to be less than 20 good hair transplant doctors in the world and unfortunately none of them are in Australia.
 

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
0
If your in Australia one of the best places to go is Thailand. Good doctor well respected and having good results is there.

http://www.hairtransinter.com/

Dr. Pathomvanich, MD, is certified and recertified by the American Board of Surgery and is a Fellow of the IDHRS. He was honored as Pioneer by the International Hair Forum for his work with donor area harvesting, Asian hair, and with bringing state-of-the-art hair restoration to Thailand. He was on the original International Advisory Committee for the ISHRS American College of Surgeons

This is who i intend to use should i ever require a hair transplant.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Co ... p?DrID=502
 

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
4
fedup said:
PersonGuy - who would you say is a good Doctor to consider?

I really wish I had an answer to this question. The best way I can answer this is, if I were to have another hair transplant it would probably be with Rahal or H&W. Most likely Rahal.
 
Top