Longer Hair Is Getting Stuck On The Tape And Glue During Attachment

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One unexpected challenge I've had while attaching a longer haired system is that some of the hair (including parts of my bio hair) get stuck on the tape and glue during or before I attach the system. Is there an easy way round this? The obvious solution is to tie my bio hair back and clip the hair on the system up, but if there is a better way then I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
One unexpected challenge I've had while attaching a longer haired system is that some of the hair (including parts of my bio hair) get stuck on the tape and glue during or before I attach the system. Is there an easy way round this? The obvious solution is to tie my bio hair back and clip the hair on the system up, but if there is a better way then I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.
What I do regarding the system hair is: Get it wet and brush it back,then blow dry on cool...before removing...

when you install.. it will stay styled out of the way so you can see better and keep the hair from falling onto the tape.

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, get some spring clips and clip the hair up out of the way so that none of it is protruding beyond the edge of the base. You may need to use some elastic bands to create a loose ponytail, if there is a lot of hair. Don't do it too tight though - you don't want the base of the piece being distorted or wrinkled as you put it on.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Spray some isopropyl alcohol on the place where it's stuck and then pull the hair. I can easily free hair that's stuck in the glue without pulling it out of the scalp or the system and now I'm not even overly cautious whether they get stuck there or not while attachig. An easily fixable problem: just pull after isopropyl alcohol. Got it from a forum.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Spray some isopropyl alcohol on the place where it's stuck and then pull the hair. I can easily free hair that's stuck in the glue without pulling it out of the scalp or the system and now I'm not even overly cautious whether they get stuck there or not while attachig. An easily fixable problem: just pull after isopropyl alcohol. Got it from a forum.

Great idea, thanks. Will the bond on the tape still be strong after I remove the hair that was stuck on it? (I put the tape on my scalp first btw).

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, get some spring clips and clip the hair up out of the way so that none of it is protruding beyond the edge of the base. You may need to use some elastic bands to create a loose ponytail, if there is a lot of hair. Don't do it too tight though - you don't want the base of the piece being distorted or wrinkled as you put it on.

Clip it up, yes of course...the ponytail idea is the obvious one also. I can tie my bio hair back out of the way, as well as the hair on the system.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great idea, thanks. Will the bond on the tape still be strong after I remove the hair that was stuck on it? (I put the tape on my scalp first btw).
I don't know that that's the best idea. If you're getting hair on the tape or sandwiched between the system and your scalp/tape.... probably best to take a course of action that would prevent it rather than reacting after the fact, potentially damaging to the hair.

I agree with using Clips or styling it out of the way. You want to always be as gentle as possible with the system. Be proactive not reactive.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should be putting the tape on the system, not your scalp.

Agreed. That's a method many people learned from Curtis, applying it to your scalp. I always thought that was a bad idea.

Why's that? If you think about it logically and from the point of view of bonding, it should technically make NO difference either way. Or as Curtis puts in, 'the tape doesn't care'.

In my personal experience I get better precision and a better bond by putting the tape onto my scalp first. It didn't help that the stylist I went to resized the base of my first system too big, so it was very difficult to get the tape in the right place by putting it onto my system first. I found it much easier to put it on the scalp first. Ultimately I think it just comes down to personal preference.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why's that? If you think about it logically and from the point of view of bonding, it should technically make NO difference either way. Or as Curtis puts in, 'the tape doesn't care'.

In my personal experience I get better precision and a better bond by putting the tape onto my scalp first. It didn't help that the stylist I went to resized the base of my first system too big, so it was very difficult to get the tape in the right place by putting it onto my system first. I found it much easier to put it on the scalp first. Ultimately I think it just comes down to personal preference.
I love Curtis, but he even puts the tape on upside down. Don't get me wrong.
.. The adhesive is the same on both sides, but The ultra hold Tabs are meant to go white side up.... You remove the blue backing attach that to the base.

Applying the tape to your scalp instead of the unit creates a few problems:

You cannot precisely attach the tape right up to the edges.

If the system is turned and is not perfectly straight and parallel, you won't know until it's too late.... you'll either have to have live with it, or risk damaging the system pulling it off to reposition.

This could present additional problems.

You can damage or stretch the unit removing it as its a new and strong bond

It would reduce the adhesion/longevity if you Re-stick the same tape You just pulled. Off of your scalp.

You may possibly have to remove and install new tape all over again.

Lots of people do things unconventionally, but the reason there is "conventional" is because its tried and true......

I mean, this nicely and I am always here to help anyone. But I have never seen more of an abundance of MacGyver's than I have on this website. Everybody wants to do things differently than the manufacturers and professionals recommend. They want to use sketchy Sources for products.... use products for time frames outside of manufacturer's recommendation. Use non hair system toxic car chemicals to clean these delicate systems and expose their highly vascular Scalps to it... It's common knowledge that these are highly processed dyed hair. So it is best to use a gentle quality shampoo that is sulfate free. So we interpret that as let's use harsh dish soap, that's meant to remove burnt cheese from baking pans.....And just basically go against absolutely everything that has been learned over the last 30-plus years by people in the business and people wearing hair.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. That's a method many people learned from Curtis, applying it to your scalp. I always thought that was a bad idea.

I ONLY do this in the salon when I am appyling a long hair unit to a client.

Why? Because I can see what I am doing, and have full control.