Long Time Lurker Have Some Questions

argo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am reading and watching videos about hair systems for more than a year. I can't get a hair transplant because of my health condition. I am 36 and my balding is at around Norwood 5A/NW6, shaving my head bald. I know what kind of hairstyle I want (attached 2 pictures). I get a lot of attention from other people on the street or in shopping malls etc, (maybe because of how I dress or my facial features or both), so it's very important to me to get a hair system that looks very realistic, especially exposed hairline. So I don't need to think about "do I get that additional attention now because I look even more interesting and attractive or because my hair looks fake?". So I have a couple of questions:

1. What kind of base I need for hairstyle like this on the photos? Lace? This is the best hairline I've seen for undercut hairstyle in hair system, looks really realistic with unregular (not straight line) shape and receding hair. Money is not a problem and I would be visiting saloon probably every 7-10 days for reattachment and get new piece when needed.

2. I am reading a lot about lifting hairlines on this forum and I am really scared of that, how does this "lifting" looks like? Can anyone post some example pictures of lifted hairline? Is it visible to other people? Does lifted hairline move on wind? Do you feel when it's lifted?

3. Is a lifting hairline something common and you can't avoid it or it depends on base or the type of adhesive you use? Can you do 7-10 days without hairline touch ups ?

4. In your experience is it common for hair system to lift/move while you sleep?

5. Is glue, tape etc safe for your health?

6. Anyone can share their experience with women met AFTER getting the hair system? Especially very attractive/intimidating with their looks type of woman. What were their reaction after you told them? When did you told them?

And thank you guys for taking your time and sharing your experience and knowledge here on this forum, It really helps newcomers like me!

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 75_n.jpg
    75_n.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 220

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Argo

1. What kind of base I need for hairstyle like this on the photos? Lace? This is the best hairline I've seen for undercut hairstyle in hair system, looks really realistic with unregular (not straight line) shape and receding hair.

I think Swiss lace is best for a hairline like that. Make sure it is graduated, and that the colour of the lace blends well with your skin tone. If you order a custom unit you can design your own hairline contour to suit yourself.

2. I am reading a lot about lifting hairlines on this forum and I am really scared of that, how does this "lifting" looks like? Can anyone post some example pictures of lifted hairline? Is it visible to other people? Does lifted hairline move on wind? Do you feel when it's lifted?

Normally it is only a tiny area of base which lifts. It can be visible, but unless someone knows you wear a system it is unlikely they would register what they are looking at. It is pretty easy to mistake it for an odd swatch of hair or some dry skin.

I don't have any photos of a lace-lift of the kind that might commonly occur. Here is rather horrendous example of a whole hairline coming loose - not something that I have ever experienced, and not really lace-lift as such - probably caused by getting the adhesive wet before it was properly cured. But it will give you an idea of what loose lace looks like.

IMG_2091.jpg

3. Is a lifting hairline something common and you can't avoid it or it depends on base or the type of adhesive you use? Can you do 7-10 days without hairline touch ups ?

I get a tiny bit of loose lace probably about once every 3 or 4 week. It almost invariably occurs while sleeping, so I notice it when I check my hairline in the morning, and I can repair it with a toothpick and a tiny blob of glue in a couple of minutes. It has never really been a significant issue for me.

I can normally do 7-10 days without a hairline touch-up, although if you have a fully-exposed hairline as in those photos I would say you would be safer to count on 7 days.

4. In your experience is it common for hair system to lift/move while you sleep?

No.

5. Is glue, tape etc safe for your health?

In my view yes. Men have been using these adhesives for at least 40 years. If there was a medical problem with them we would know about it by now.

6. Anyone can share their experience with women met AFTER getting the hair system? Especially very attractive/intimidating with their looks type of woman. What were their reaction after you told them? When did you told them?

I haven't found it necessary to mention it to casual dates etc. but I have disclosed it in a few longer-term relationships. Invariably I have found the women accepting. Also most of the other wearers I have talked to about this issue have had the same experience. I think we men are overthinking the female reaction. Most women are very comfortable with a bit of harmless artifice to improve their looks. They actually like the idea that you have gone to the trouble to improve your looks for them (as they see it). Women are very competitive with other women. They want to be walking down the street with the good-looking guy. Provided it looks good, and won't embarrass them, they are fine with it. That's been my experience, anyway.

Noah

argo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Noah,

Thank you for your great response!

I think Swiss lace is best for a hairline like that. Make sure it is graduated, and that the colour of the lace blends well with your skin tone. If you order a custom unit you can design your own hairline contour to suit yourself.
I want to go with a custom unit for sure. I think I've picked a good clinic for that, maybe even the best in my country, they've been doing pieces for TV/Movies stars etc for the last 20 years. I've seen results of some of others but they were subpar. We will see how this will go but I need to wait as they want me to grow my hair for at least one or two months before first consultation.

I haven't found it necessary to mention it to casual dates etc. but I have disclosed it in a few longer-term relationships. Invariably I have found the women accepting. Also most of the other wearers I have talked to about this issue have had the same experience. I think we men are overthinking the female reaction. Most women are very comfortable with a bit of harmless artifice to improve their looks. They actually like the idea that you have gone to the trouble to improve your looks for them (as they see it). Women are very competitive with other women. They want to be walking down the street with the good-looking guy. Provided it looks good, and won't embarrass them, they are fine with it. That's been my experience, anyway.

I agree with most of you wrote. For example my last relationship was with a beautiful looking girl, head turner type, her mother had a problem with hair so she got a hair piece. When my crown was receding pretty badly my girl suggested to me to just visit a clinic to get it fixed, she didn't mind as she was wearing hair extensions herself etc. but we were together couple of years so it is a little different than meeting someone new.

I live in a country where there is a strong mentality type of "just shave the head and be a real men" so it's important for me to get a hair system that looks good and realistic.
I don't mind telling others about the hair system if they would comment on my hair and if system actually looks good.

I think Swiss lace is best for a hairline like that.

And glue for hairline, right? What about perimeter or the rest of the scalp? Do you use glue only ? My clinic will probably suggest something but I always like to get a second opinion, they are selling me something and you guys actually use that product so a different perspective.

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, glue gives the best look for the hairline. I use tape for the back and sides of the system, and glue for the hairline. That's really a convenience issue - the glue gives the best result where it is most needed, but the tape is more convenient where the look is less of an issue.

For a totally exposed hairline like that, you would ideally want to opt for a custom piece, in order to get a really snug fit, to avoid any gaps or wrinkles. That hasn't been easy in the last few months, because the virus has shut down the supply of custom units, but my sense is that it is opening up again now, so your timing may be good.

Last edited: