Long Half Life Of Dutasteride - Why Daily Administration

Water White

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was told the terminal elimination half-life of dutasteride is approximately 5 weeks at steady state...then i wonder why it needs to be administrator per day rather than per week or even later.

I have been using finasteride but not very effective, i m thinking of adding dutasteride to boost the effect...anyone tried this route before?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was told the terminal elimination half-life of dutasteride is approximately 5 weeks at steady state...then i wonder why it needs to be administrator per day rather than per week or even later.

I have been using finasteride but not very effective, i m thinking of adding dutasteride to boost the effect...anyone tried this route before?

Because the half life is 5 weeks if you take it daily (0,50mg) for 6 months. If you take just one it has an half life of 3 days if i remember well.

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because it works by building up very high systemic levels. finasteride mg per mg is stronger than dutasteride if they had the same half life

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because it works by building up very high systemic levels. finasteride mg per mg is stronger than dutasteride if they had the same half life

Can you be bothered to provide a source for that?

I have a hard time believing it. You really think that DHT is lowered more with a singular dose of 1 mg finasteride compared to a 1 mg singular dose of dutasteride?

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you be bothered to provide a source for that?

I have a hard time believing it. You really think that DHT is lowered more with a singular dose of 1 mg finasteride compared to a 1 mg singular dose of dutasteride?

if you dont believe it then you dont believe it...

What do you think this is? I'm not gonna post sources for every claim I make on a hairloss forum. You have internet and a computer, do your own research... Dont ask others to do the work for you

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
if you dont believe it then you dont believe it...

What do you think this is? I'm not gonna post sources for every claim I make on a hairloss forum. You have internet and a computer, do your own research... Dont ask others to do the work for you

You want me to do research to verify information you literally just pulled out of your ***?

Ok.

From https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2008/021319s015lbl.pdfdutasteride Serum DHT.PNG

dutasteride surpasses finasteride for max serum DHT suppression in as little as 1 week. It works better than finasteride from the very first dose.

You made the claim, if you are not willing to provide a source, I will disregard it in the future and assume you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Water White

My Regimen
Reaction score
thank you guys for all the responses...i know its side is pretty strong and wonder if I can do less a dosage as a support to my daily finasteride's admission...also read some successful cases on this forum about some guys take 1-2 dosage(everythree days..or even every once a week) of Du while stay on daily finasteride, and its getting good outcome. ....finasteride is losing its effect on me.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thank you guys for all the responses...i know its side is pretty strong and wonder if I can do less a dosage as a support to my daily finasteride's admission...also read some successful cases on this forum about some guys take 1-2 dosage(everythree days..or even every once a week) of Du while stay on daily finasteride, and its getting good outcome. ....finasteride is losing its effect on me.

The longer half life just means you have more flexible dosing schedule. For instance, if you wanted to take 1.5 mg every 3rd day as opposed to .5 mg daily. However, taking .5 mg every 3rd day is not the same as .5 mg ED and will result in less 5AR inhibition which is still dose dependent.

If you are going to continue with Finasteride, most ppl seem to follow that one patient study where they did dutasteride once a week and finasteride on the other days.

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You want me to do research to verify information you literally just pulled out of your ***?

Ok.

From https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2008/021319s015lbl.pdfView attachment 120778

dutasteride surpasses finasteride for max serum DHT suppression in as little as 1 week. It works better than finasteride from the very first dose.

You made the claim, if you are not willing to provide a source, I will disregard it in the future and assume you have no idea what you are talking about.

You just proved my point and you don’t even know it. By one week dutasteride is at higher than 2.5 mg streaky state systemic concentrations whereas finasteride has around a 6-8 hour half life and fluctuates to below 0.4mg between doses. If you took both one pill at 0.5mg, finasteride would be more effective

Dutasteride reaches over 20mg systemic concentrations, that’s why it’s more “potent”. At low concentrations alike finasteride it is weaker

Next time you see my posts just disregard it and don’t even bother replying to me. I’m not your teacher, do you own research I owe you nothing

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You just proved my point and you don’t even know it. By one week dutasteride is at higher than 2.5 mg streaky state systemic concentrations whereas finasteride has around a 6-8 hour half life and fluctuates to below 0.4mg between doses. If you took both one pill at 0.5mg, finasteride would be more effective

Dutasteride reaches over 20mg systemic concentrations, that’s why it’s more “potent”. At low concentrations alike finasteride it is weaker

Next time you see my posts just disregard it and don’t even bother replying to me. I’m not your teacher, do you own research I owe you nothing

Except it doesn't take a steady state of 20 mg to reach 90% serum DHT inhibition though. Also, you will have less than 2.5 mg concentrations at one week. By the 7th day, some of the dutasteride from the first day will already have been metabolized. It takes 3 months to reach 90% steady state concentrations with dutasteride at .5 mg and it's only once steady state is reached that the half life for dutasteride is 5 weeks. If you take 1 dose, the half life is only a few days.

Your thinking with the half life is so flawed. You could dose more finasteride in more frequent manner than once a day so that serum concentrations, mg per mg match that of dutasteride .5 mg once a day, negating the half life advantage of dutasteride. It still won't inhibit more 5AR type 2 than dutasteride.

Thought experiment.

For single dose equivalency, let us use the elapsing of 4 half lifes to determine drug elimination.

For a single dose of .5mg dose of dutasteride, a half life of 3 days would be 12 days before drug is eliminated.

For Finasteride, you could dose .5 mg initially and then with every passing half life (6 hours or so) dose again. 2nd dose would be .25mg, 3rd dose slightly less than .25 mg, and so on so that it mirrors perfectly the elimination of the .5 mg dutasteride over the 12 days.

Dosing finasteride this way would completely negate the half life advantage that dutasteride has and you could even do this to try and match .5 mg ED with dutasteride with MUCH higher levels of finasteride but it won't matter because finasteride has a flat dose response at a certain point and it will never be able to inhibit as much 5AR type 2 as Dutasteride (even when dosing with every passing half life) because dutasteride has an affinity for the type 2 5AR enzyme that 3 times greater than finasteride, it's not just the longer half life. The longer half life does provide for less variation.

TLDR
You can dose finasteride in a more frequent manner so that it mirrors the half life of dutasteride but it still will not inhibit as much type 2 5AR as dutasteride due to the flat dose response.

But you won't listen to any of this. You are set in your way of thinking.

Water White

My Regimen
Reaction score
The longer half life just means you have more flexible dosing schedule. For instance, if you wanted to take 1.5 mg every 3rd day as opposed to .5 mg daily. However, taking .5 mg every 3rd day is not the same as .5 mg ED and will result in less 5AR inhibition which is still dose dependent.

If you are going to continue with Finasteride, most ppl seem to follow that one patient study where they did dutasteride once a week and finasteride on the other days.

HI Feelsbadman, so if I try to follow this practice, shall I go for 0.5mg of Du once a week? Or some other dosage?

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HI Feelsbadman, so if I try to follow this practice, shall I go for 0.5mg of Du once a week? Or some other dosage?

Dutasteride come in capsules, most notably available in 0.5mg so there isn't that much to choose from. You can take two a day I guess but no, stick to 1 per day.

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Except it doesn't take a steady state of 20 mg to reach 90% serum DHT inhibition though. Also, you will have less than 2.5 mg concentrations at one week. By the 7th day, some of the dutasteride from the first day will already have been metabolized. It takes 3 months to reach 90% steady state concentrations with dutasteride at .5 mg and it's only once steady state is reached that the half life for dutasteride is 5 weeks. If you take 1 dose, the half life is only a few days.

Your thinking with the half life is so flawed. You could dose more finasteride in more frequent manner than once a day so that serum concentrations, mg per mg match that of dutasteride .5 mg once a day, negating the half life advantage of dutasteride. It still won't inhibit more 5AR type 2 than dutasteride.

whatver i dont care enought to prove you wrong

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride taken 0.5mg per day builds up to 24.5-25mg of dutasteride concentrations in the blood after 178 days due to the 840 hour half life. At 24.5-25mg concentrations, dutasteride reduces dht by around 94.7%

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.35.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.35.05 PM.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 182

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sad to say that @hemingway_the_mercenary is right, at least this time :p . And if Dutateride once or twice a week can reduce DHT level up to 90% (still hard to believe) but its only the serum DHT (blood). Not the same within the tissues. That's why doses like 2-2,5mg/day Dutateride are a lot effective, even if the DHT serum is almost equally reduced.