Long Hair In Hair Systems, Looking For Information

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am going for my first hair system, and it's going to be long... approximately 50cm (20").

Does anyone have experience with day to day life with a long-hair hair system? Washing, drying, grooming?

Would love to hear your experiences.

BB

Noah

Reaction score
Hi BB. I can't speak about long hair, because I have never done that. I wonder if you would get a better response from a board for women's systems and extensions?

What I will say is this: if you go to a decent vendor for your system, the hair will be very similar in texture and behaviour to your growing hair. The big difference is that your growing hair has sebaceous glands at the bottom, continually pumping oil onto it. Hairpiece hair doesn't. That has upside and downside. The downside is that the hair can get dried out more quickly, especially if it is over-washed. The upside is that it doesn't get dirty nearly as quickly (no oil to attract dust and dirt), so it doesn't need to be washed as often. Unless you spend a lot of time somewhere dusty or smoky, a system only needs to be washed with shampoo once a week (you can just let warm water run through it the rest of the time). When you do wash it with shampoo, use a mild shampoo, and afterwards use a rich good quality conditioner. But try to keep the conditioner off the base and the knots, because the lubricant effect of the conditioner can cause the knots to slip and the hair to shed. If, like me, you take your system off for maintenance weekly, you may find it easier to wash the system with shampoo only when it is off your head. That way, it is easy to put the conditioner on the hair shafts, keeping it off the base, and just leave the hairpiece in the conditioner for half-an-hour. Then, with the conditioner in it, you can grab hold of the hair just above the base, so that it is in a hank, and brush out any tangles which might have developed, without putting any stress on the knots.

Aside from that, long hair just does get tangled, whether it is real or prosthetic. Get a wide-toothed brush with bobbles on the teeth, a good quality detangler (again, keep it off the knots though), and a silk pillowcase. If it were me I would put it into a pony tail for sleeping.

Good luck with the project!

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, Noah, I appreciate your input, your suggestions are very helpful. I have been reading through many of your old posts. You are quite the pro.

Best,

Steve

Hairy bear

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Noah any chance of some help with good consistent sellers? Having some issues, never get the right density colour or that elusive graduated hairline :(

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update:

I met with two of the main people at the company that I am using for my hair replacement, along with their stylist.

I will say, that I got an amazing amount of personalized customer service. First of all, they had reviewed my requests, pics of intended styles, and pics of myself. Once I arrived, we reviewed everything, yet again.

The general consensus is that while it is indeed possible to create something that will give me the look of my dreams, it will be impractical, especially for someone new to wearing a hair system.

While this was not a surprise to hear, and certainly not new, what I appreciated was their willingness to explain the why. One of the looks I was considering required a full cap, which would be very hot and cumbersome, especially with the length we were discussing. As Noah hinted to, and others had mentioned, you need to get used to having hair, after no hair, and then long hair on top of that will be a nightmare.

The second style I was looking at would have shaved sides. This is also doable, but the mentioned that there are some male models out there who have it, and if the unit is not placed by the salon, it looks terrible, as just a bit off... and you look lopsided. Also, there is the added issue of having a lace "front" that goes almost all around the unit, you are basically dealing with the hairline from hell, with constant touch-ups, etc.

After getting over that conversation, they did agree that one of the photos I sent would work perfectly, allowing me to use my own natural hair, and hair color.

We discussed hairline, hair density, color density, and length. They decided to sketch the system freehand in white BEFORE doing a template, and then did the template, which was kind of wild experience.

We spent an hour tweaking the design, with the stylist and hair system guys going back and forth on mapping the hair system, and deciding which density would be most realistic for my face, natural hair, head shape, etc.

None of this was offered by any of the mail-order (Internet) places I contacted. Even other salons that I was going to visit in person, we're going to give me a 1/2 an hour and charge me for it (against the first order).

Right now, the template is on it's way to the factory, and with Chinese New Year coming up I am looking at about 12 weeks for delivery.

I am very excited, it's really happening. And I trust that these guys really know what they are doing.

I will post when I am ready to get it cut in, and installed.

Very excited!

BB

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
What did you order and the cost?

French lace, 16”, black with a range of 40%-80% grey (natural). The density is variable based on zone (like the grey percentage), and bleached knots. Approximately $1,340.

*Updated for final price

Last edited:

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I assume the cost includes the fitting and cut in.
Will you then maintain it yourself and go down the DIY route?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I assume the cost includes the fitting and cut in.
Will you then maintain it yourself and go down the DIY route?

That’s including the consultation, cut in, and free video support for on-going self-maintainance.

They actually encourage DIY. Are also willing to work with a stylist here to help them do haircuts on me while wearing the system.

Last edited:

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This seems the best way for you for the first timer, but definitely trying the DIY route after as you would be paying less than half with many suppliers

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
This seems the best way for you for the first timer, but definitely trying the DIY route after as you would be paying less than half with many suppliers

If I go through someone in Europe or N. America, how much will I really save? Their base price for a French lace system, 6” of hair, no grey is $795. The dinner in price is the length and high percentage of human grey hair.

Also, the system I am ordering is highly customized, in terms of hair density (6 zones and about 4-5 different densities) as well as the grey. And the cut-in is by one of the top stylists in Madrid.

I am fearfull about ordering directly from China, where I was quoted $395. It seems too cheap.

Steve

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, its the length of the hair that is the real cost driver and I don't recommend ordering direct from China.

I had tried it in my early days as an experiment and every piece was unusable. That said most if not all pieces be they retailing at $1,200, $3,000 or $300 are made in the same factories and areas in China for a couple hundred $$.

In almost a decade of wearing, the most costly system I have had was a 12 inch hair length system, with a slight wave, different in densities at front, temples, crown, sides, top, bleached knots and some highlights for $450.

It lasted 12-months

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, its the length of the hair that is the real cost driver and I don't recommend ordering direct from China.

I had tried it in my early days as an experiment and every piece was unusable. That said most if not all pieces be they retailing at $1,200, $3,000 or $300 are made in the same factories and areas in China for a couple hundred $$.

In almost a decade of wearing, the most costly system I have had was a 12 inch hair length system, with a slight wave, different in densities at front, temples, crown, sides, top, bleached knots and some highlights for $450.

It lasted 12-months

Thanks!

This is good to know, I wonder why ordering directly is such a disaster as when the salons order?

For me, not making a US salary... $300 for an experiment just won't work for me, I can't afford it. And, my family juju is such that whenever we go for a bargain, it NEVER works out.

Appreciate the input.

BB

Shewig.com

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am going for my first hair system, and it's going to be long... approximately 50cm (20").

Does anyone have experience with day to day life with a long-hair hair system? Washing, drying, grooming?

Would love to hear your experiences.

BB
Long Hair System ,silk base is much real and breathable .personaly like the clip hair system ,it is easy put on and put off ,for hair washing and drying and grooming ,i think just care them as your own hair is quite enough