Living Life To The Fullest With A Hair System

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a few months into the hair system experience, and there are things I like and things I don't like about it. Overall, however, I'm glad I've made this choice. Certainly the only thing preferable to a hair system would be to have a full head of naturally growing hair, and that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

One thing I'm still getting to grips with is just how far I can push the system. I play football (soccer) once a week with absolutely no issues whatsoever, and I've run a couple of half marathons in it, again with no problem.

I'd love to hear stories from others of how you've tested the resilience of a piece. Perhaps like me it's something in your regular routine, or maybe you've gone a bit further. I'm really keen to start scuba-diving again, and have been told it's possible with a system, but would love to hear from someone who's had the experience.

I think this could be useful for those who are on here who haven't taken the plunge. So many early questions centre around whether or not a hair system rules out certain activities.If these things are designed to 'give us our lives back' as the advertising always seems to suggest, then I'd hope there are plenty out there who are living their lives to the fullest.

Noah

Reaction score
I have scuba-dived, windsurfed, water-skied etc. - no real problem with any of those. You want a fresh attachment with a few extra lines of strong tape behind the hairline and you're good to go. Scuba is totally non-stressing on your system, but obviously you are pickling in salt water for an hour or so, so the bond is probably a bit weaker than usual when you get out. Just be a bit careful when you take the mask off, in case the clingy rubber band pulls the back of your unit up by accident. Stick your hand up under the rubber band and pull the band up over your hand and then over your head.

One thing I would say though: I think all these activities are safer with a lace system than with a skin system. Lace doesn't offer any resistance to on-coming wind or water - they can just blow or wash through it. A skin base, on the other hand, is a slightly concave impervious film, like a shallow dish, so it would be capable of resisting water or wind. That isn't a problem so long as it is firmly stuck on your head, but if a strong jet of water were able to get under the hairline, it would not have an escape route.

The only activities I would not do while wearing my system are ones where you get hot and sweaty AND there is actual head contact, such as rugby, wrestling, some martial arts. I think that is asking for trouble. The unit wouldn't come off, but the front hairline could be ripped loose or something, which would be very embarrassing. I would only do those if I was able to wear head protection to keep everything safe. You probably could for most of those sports. I know a guy who is very into jiu jitsu and wears a system. He uses head protection and hasn't reported any problems.

Noah

DesertFoxx

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a few months into the hair system experience, and there are things I like and things I don't like about it. Overall, however, I'm glad I've made this choice. Certainly the only thing preferable to a hair system would be to have a full head of naturally growing hair, and that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

One thing I'm still getting to grips with is just how far I can push the system. I play football (soccer) once a week with absolutely no issues whatsoever, and I've run a couple of half marathons in it, again with no problem.

I'd love to hear stories from others of how you've tested the resilience of a piece. Perhaps like me it's something in your regular routine, or maybe you've gone a bit further. I'm really keen to start scuba-diving again, and have been told it's possible with a system, but would love to hear from someone who's had the experience.

I think this could be useful for those who are on here who haven't taken the plunge. So many early questions centre around whether or not a hair system rules out certain activities.If these things are designed to 'give us our lives back' as the advertising always seems to suggest, then I'd hope there are plenty out there who are living their lives to the fullest.
I'm definitely taking the plunge this year, I got a wedding coming up I'd like to have gotten use to wearing one at least 3 months before. The one thing that scares the sh*t out of me is that It will look like some of the dudes on Lavivid's instagram page. Some of the hairsystems look great but a lot of them don't. Maybe its all in my head and I'm just terrified of a girl finding out. haha

Noah

Reaction score
I just had a look at the IG page you mentioned. I see what you mean. They seem to favour enormous bouffant "wall of hair" styles, like models at a hairdressers' convention. But the guy second row down on the right - "Samuel (not a hairdresser)" - has a very nice subtle piece. That is what I would be aiming for.

Last edited:

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It is interesting to see how far you can push a system (obviously without taking unnecessary risks where it could be damaged).

For me, I've recently started cycling to work, which means I'm wearing a helmet for periods of 15 to 30 minutes at a time. So far I have had absolutely no problems with this.

Today I was out in gale force winds (storms are hitting the UK right now) and again the hair system and bond remained totally intact. I would not necessary recommend this, because potentially really heavy winds could lift the back or sides, but I can say it wasn't any major kind of issue for me. It probably helped that I had my hair tied back, though. In these sort of conditions, I'd recommend wearing a hat or a hooded jacket to avoid any potential problems.

I've also been out in heavy rain and had no problems, though having waterproofs and/or an umbrella in these conditions is a good idea!

I've had times where I've sweated on my forehead (though not excessively) and not really had any major issues either. You can also work out in a gym even if you wear a system, but if you sweat a LOT then you'll have to take the system off, clean and reattach more often.

I also wash my system in the shower shortly after reattaching and this has not caused me any problems. I've used really strong hold styling products like ultra hold hairspray and spray gel and although this made the hair on the system a bit stiff, it certainly didn't seem to damage it.

I also tried leaving my system on for a week and a half instead of a week, and again didn't experience any problems. I still think it's safer to reattach no more than once a week, but I'm just saying what happened when I pushed the limits.

I'm not saying anyone should necessarily do the things I've done with my systems, but I'm just adding my experiences to this thread. I think hair systems are so good nowadays that you really can live your live almost as if it was your bio hair. However you still have to look after them, be gentle when brushing/combing them etc, take them off to clean then approx once a week etc. Use you common sense and you will be surprised at what you can do with them. As you get more experience, you'll get to to know what you can and cannot do with a hair system. As long as you don't take any really stupid or unnecessary risks, you'll be fine in most situations.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Fighting and f*****g are probably the riskiest, because another person wants to get fingers under the system, especially during sex, but if the edges are glued down and the front combed forward it's almost safe. How do you avoid hands that want to go through your hair from the front, from the forehead to the back? I think that's where it may feel the strangest to touch. Even with a fringe someone may feel like playing with it. Nobody has asked anything yet, though. Doesn't happen unbearably often. Life can still be lived.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I have scuba-dived, windsurfed, water-skied etc. - no real problem with any of those. You want a fresh attachment with a few extra lines of strong tape behind the hairline and you're good to go. Scuba is totally non-stressing on your system, but obviously you are pickling in salt water for an hour or so, so the bond is probably a bit weaker than usual when you get out. Just be a bit careful when you take the mask off, in case the clingy rubber band pulls the back of your unit up by accident. Stick your hand up under the rubber band and pull the band up over your hand and then over your head.

One thing I would say though: I think all these activities are safer with a lace system than with a skin system. Lace doesn't offer any resistance to on-coming wind or water - they can just blow or wash through it. A skin base, on the other hand, is a slightly concave impervious film, like a shallow dish, so it would be capable of resisting water or wind. That isn't a problem so long as it is firmly stuck on your head, but if a strong jet of water were able to get under the hairline, it would not have an escape route.

The only activities I would not do while wearing my system are ones where you get hot and sweaty AND there is actual head contact, such as rugby, wrestling, some martial arts. I think that is asking for trouble. The unit wouldn't come off, but the front hairline could be ripped loose or something, which would be very embarrassing. I would only do those if I was able to wear head protection to keep everything safe. You probably could for most of those sports. I know a guy who is very into jiu jitsu and wears a system. He uses head protection and hasn't reported any problems.

Noah

Great to hear you've dived with it on Noah. Can I ask, how many times a day did you dive? Did you wear a bandanna or anything?

It's going to be one of those things where I will be able to believe it truly when I've actually done it, but if I truly am able to get diving again, then it will cement the hair system as the best decision I ever made!

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have jumped into the ocean from a pier 10ft high and that's not caused any problems with the attachment. As Noah says above, it's always advisable to have a fresh strong bond. My system is fully bonded BTW, not just perimeter. It's UTS.

With oceans/pools you'll find that the water (and sun too) does more damage to your hair than the activity itself.

I'm not sure I would do something like water-skiing without a hat on!

FullyCool

My Regimen
Reaction score

That's really cool! What system and glue/tape are you using to run half-marathons?

señor coconut

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's your usual routine after you play football or training for half marathon? How does it feel after getting a good sweat on.
I'm planning to do a half marathon and I've got no worries about actually doing the activity while I'm wearing, it's just the days after training and sweating that are hindering me when I imagine it might be uncomfortable until the weekend when I can take it off and have a proper clean.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
That's really cool! What system and glue/tape are you using to run half-marathons?

I'm on Ghostbond Supreme with Walker Max Hold Sport scalp protector. I've got a perimeter bond with a mono middle, so there's really good ventilation.

What's your usual routine after you play football or training for half marathon? How does it feel after getting a good sweat on.
I'm planning to do a half marathon and I've got no worries about actually doing the activity while I'm wearing, it's just the days after training and sweating that are hindering me when I imagine it might be uncomfortable until the weekend when I can take it off and have a proper clean.

If I've got work the next day, I'll always do at least a hairline rebond after all that sweating, as I don't like the idea of waking up realising I need to do it, then having to rush it before work (which will totally happen one day).

I've just done a 10k run and I'm sitting here having just showered in my unit. It feels like it's going to settle as normal.

Essentially, I think you'll be fine. It may be best to do the clean up, but I don't think it will affect you badly if you have to wait a few days.