Light Density Bases? Something Not Too Visible?

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've just gotten my first ever light density piece. Swiss lace.

This is a change from my medium density French lace with a poly horse shoe.

I'm a huge fan of tape around the perimeter and I'm not comfortable so much with lace tape there. Will a poly rim be too visible with light density?

Noah

Reaction score
I would say a poly rim is OK down to about the density of these systems (described as "medium light" by the vendor). Below that you are risking the poly being visible.

51E8A12C-23D4-48ED-A45C-E4C98C4F4A5C-704-0000011212DBEB88.jpg 110B3BB3-C0FA-489A-A590-CAE5BD66548B-704-0000011259A1C941.jpg

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
On lower density, you do need to be careful. Under certain commercial and lift lights it can be harsh.

If you really want to try poly there, you could ask for the poly to be set back from the front hair line. This way I can use tape at the hair line and a strip on the poly just behind for double grip.

Do you currently use a low shine tape?

Last edited:

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On lower density, you do need to be careful. Under certain commercial and lift lights it can be harsh.

If you really want to try poly there, you could ask for the poly to be set back from the front hair line. This way I can use tape at the hair line and a strip on the poly just behind for double grip.

Do you currently use a low shine tape?
Good advise grincher. I wear light density with poly side and back and for custom pieces I ask that the poly starts an inch back on each side...at ear level instead of temples.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It sounds as though I will be forced into a slightly higher density. This will be fine as well.

Does anyone here just use an all lace base and still use tape?

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, I use tape for the back and sides of my all lace pieces. No problems to report, except that when you take the piece off you have to take care to allow the alcohol to fully break the adhesive bond, otherwise you get hairs being pulled through to the underside of the base.