Life Of Hairpiece , 8 Weeks True Or False ?

munt

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi to all.

Please can anyone give some advise on the following question ?

I have been looking to book a consultation for the possibility of having a hair system , but when i spoke to the salon which was going to do the consultation i was told that the hair pieces only last for only 8 weeks.
They have said that i would need to keep going back to the salon every 8 weeks and buy a new system every time at a cost of £420 which includes the system , fixing of the system and styling .

I understand that they are in it to make money but is it true the systems only do last for 8 weeks ?

thanks
Munt

Noah

Reaction score
It seems unlikely. I get 5+ months from mine. Unless they are some ultra-fragile base material, in which case it's probably not a good buy, unless you are Ben Affleck.

munt

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah thanks for the reply

Maybe you could advise the following questions

• Which is the best system to use ( my aim is to have an undetectable hairline this is the most important issue i have , as im on stage every weekend and right in the public eye.
  • What are my options for the base material pros and cons ?
  • Which is more natural ?
  • Which will last the longest ?( or is it how you look after them. )
  • Why do they only last for so long and is there anything you can do to improve ( i would be so pleased with 5mth + )
thanks
Munt

Noah

Reaction score
  • Which is the best system to use ( my aim is to have an undetectable hairline this is the most important issue i have , as im on stage every weekend and right in the public eye.
Swiss lace gives the most undetectable hairlines in my opinion, and it is also breathable, which will be important if you are under hot stage lighting. For the most natural look get a graduated hairline and bleached knots.
  • What are my options for the base material pros and cons ?
Fundamentally there are only 2 materials worth considering - lace (mesh) and skin (silicone film). Each comes in different grades of fineness. A thin skin base also gives a good look. It is actually better at mimicking human scalp than lace when seen at very close quarters. But skin is not breathable, which is an issue if you are active or sweaty.
  • Which is more natural ?
See above.
  • Which will last the longest ?( or is it how you look after them. )
It is mostly how you look after them. There are very robust bases on the market (e.g. monofilament, which is a very coarse version of lace). They will last for ever, but they just don't look natural. Naturalness and undetectability require delicate fragile materials and construction.
  • Why do they only last for so long and is there anything you can do to improve ( i would be so pleased with 5mth + )
Usually either they shed hair and get thin looking or even develop bald spots, or the hair starts to get dried out looking, and maybe changes colour. You can lessen the chances of shedding by using knot sealer on the base before you start wearing - it's a transparent liquid which seals in the knots and makes them more stable. You can also lessen it by being careful when you remove the system, to ensure that the alcohol has done its job of fully breaking down the adhesive before you try to pull the piece off. You can protect the hair and make it last longer by staying out of the sun, using a hat, using a sunscreen in the hair, conditioning well when you shampoo the piece, and using a colour correcting shampoo or conditioner occasionally. To be clear, 5 months is the point when I retire my pieces BEFORE any of the deterioration gets to the point of being noticeable. The pieces would be wearable for a bit longer if you are less nitpicking about your look than I am.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My system is perfectly fine for the first 8-months. Months 8-12 are possible depending on the lace front.

£420 every 8-weeks is grossly expensive compared to alternatives. Sounds like a skin system