Lets talk oral minoxidil- experiences, opinions, anyone?

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so I may be on the track to getting a script for oral min. What are peoples experiences? Im reading, as usual, mixed results.
Do people get other body/facial hair growth every time? More or less than head hair? Other sides? Doses?

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on topical 5% for years, had some heart palpitations that went away after a couple weeks, never really noticed any improvements to be honest. Just recently started 2.5mg oral minoxidil and had small off/on headaches and now I have none :D

As far as results, haven't noticed anything yet. No shed difference either that I can notice.

Veyorokon

Banned
Reaction score
I've been on it for about 5 years and had decent results. I've been losing my hair since I was 18 but minoxodil with fun has stopped the progression.

Never had heart palpitations thankfully.

I just combine it with Nizoral shampoo for the best results. And use Bromane hair filling fibers for increasing hair density.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone get ED on oral Minoxidil. I stopped after Dr. warned that it could make it hard to hold erectiksn.

rippedgenius

My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried oral Minoxidil and the side effects were too much for me so I switched back to topical. I've also looked into Adenogen which is meant to work similar to Minoxidil but with less sides.

I think as long as you're trying to address hair loss, anything oral is going to give you systemic side effects which you don't want apart from anti inflammatory supplements like Curcumin, fish oil, etc as inflammation plays a big part in hair loss. Thats why sugar intake should be at a minimum.

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried oral Minoxidil and the side effects were too much for me so I switched back to topical. I've also looked into Adenogen which is meant to work similar to Minoxidil but with less sides.

I think as long as you're trying to address hair loss, anything oral is going to give you systemic side effects which you don't want apart from anti inflammatory supplements like Curcumin, fish oil, etc as inflammation plays a big part in hair loss. Thats why sugar intake should be at a minimum.

What were your side effects?

rippedgenius

My Regimen
Reaction score
What were your side effects?
Mainly the rapid heart rate, less so the dizziness. You know your own body so when my heart was pounding consistently, I knew it wouldn't be worth the possible trade off of it being more effective.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking 10mg a day - drinking Kirkland. No side effects I've noticed so far , except increased body hair slightly

rippedgenius

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking 10mg a day - drinking Kirkland. No side effects I've noticed so far , except increased body hair slightly
How are your results? Is this part of a regime or just Min only?

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairestorationetwork.com/topic/26036-anybody-here-use-oral-minoxidil/

This was from 2011 and D. Pathomvanich MD FACS comments:

When I started my private practice 20 years ago, I have seen a large number of patients who were taking oral minoxidil other thanminoxidil lotion from other physicians and some patients even took on their own. I was entirely against taking oral minoxidil since it is not approved by the FDA and encouraged those patients to change to minoxidil lotion only, in fear of the side effects from oral minoxidil. After many years of practice, I have realized the remarkable effect on hair growth from oral minoxidil compared with the lotion. In many patients the result has changed from minimal hair over the scalp i.e. miniaturized hair to the cosmetic fullness of hair i.e. more terminal hair growth over both the front and the crown areas. Some have responded only at the crown but not at the front; also, there were patients who did not respond other than hypertrichosis.

I have a few patients, whom I turned them down for hair transplantation surgery since they were poor candidates’ i.e. poor donor and severe degree of hair loss. One of them took oral minoxidil on his own and I was amazed when he returned to see me in four months, his temples hair was full with moderate hair growth at the crown but not at the front and made him a candidate for hair transplantation. Please see the attached photograph below. I did two sessions of hair transplant surgery on him and he was happy with the final results.

I prescribed oral minoxidil for hair loss treatment in less than 1% of patients in my practice over past 20 years. These are those hopeless patients who have the hair loss problem with no response from finasteride, dutasteride and minoxidil lotion but the patient wants to have some treatment option to treat the hair loss. I use it with caution, since there is no study regarding the dosage and safety in treating androgenic alopecia.

I do not prescribe this medicine to patients who are known to have cardiovascular disease, history of deranged blood pressure, liver and kidney dysfunction.

What is the optimal dose of oral minoxidil for the hair growth with minimal side effects?

I have learned from other physicians, who have prescribed minoxidil extensively to treat androgenic alopecia and was informed that 5 mg daily was enough to stimulate the hair growth without any effect on blood pressure and heart rate. One of my patients, who took oralminoxidil tablet and lives close by the clinic, came to the clinic twice a day for blood pressure monitoring for one month and all the reading were within the normal limits of his baseline; therefore, I am no longer monitoring the blood pressure as often as I did in the past. I have been using 5 mg daily for years and in some patient taken a low dose such as 2.5 mg tab per day or 5mg every other day still reported significant hair growth and stopped the hair loss to his satisfaction.

The most common side effect in my practice was puffy eyelids, leg swelling. Similar to any other forms of hair growth product, the gain hair will shed in 3-4 months on stopping the pill. This oral form should not be used in women due to hypertrichosis, it may persist in cases even on discontinuing the drug.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

When I started my private practice 20 years ago, I have seen a large number of patients who were taking oral minoxidil other thanminoxidil lotion from other physicians and some patients even took on their own. I was entirely against taking oral minoxidil since it is not approved by the FDA and encouraged those patients to change to minoxidil lotion only, in fear of the side effects from oral minoxidil. After many years of practice, I have realized the remarkable effect on hair growth from oral minoxidil compared with the lotion. In many patients the result has changed from minimal hair over the scalp i.e. miniaturized hair to the cosmetic fullness of hair i.e. more terminal hair growth over both the front and the crown areas. Some have responded only at the crown but not at the front; also, there were patients who did not respond other than hypertrichosis.

I have a few patients, whom I turned them down for hair transplantation surgery since they were poor candidates’ i.e. poor donor and severe degree of hair loss. One of them took oral minoxidil on his own and I was amazed when he returned to see me in four months, his temples hair was full with moderate hair growth at the crown but not at the front and made him a candidate for hair transplantation. Please see the attached photograph below. I did two sessions of hair transplant surgery on him and he was happy with the final results.

I prescribed oral minoxidil for hair loss treatment in less than 1% of patients in my practice over past 20 years. These are those hopeless patients who have the hair loss problem with no response from finasteride, dutasteride and minoxidil lotion but the patient wants to have some treatment option to treat the hair loss. I use it with caution, since there is no study regarding the dosage and safety in treating androgenic alopecia.

I do not prescribe this medicine to patients who are known to have cardiovascular disease, history of deranged blood pressure, liver and kidney dysfunction.

What is the optimal dose of oral minoxidil for the hair growth with minimal side effects?

I have learned from other physicians, who have prescribed minoxidil extensively to treat androgenic alopecia and was informed that 5 mg daily was enough to stimulate the hair growth without any effect on blood pressure and heart rate. One of my patients, who took oralminoxidil tablet and lives close by the clinic, came to the clinic twice a day for blood pressure monitoring for one month and all the reading were within the normal limits of his baseline; therefore, I am no longer monitoring the blood pressure as often as I did in the past. I have been using 5 mg daily for years and in some patient taken a low dose such as 2.5 mg tab per day or 5mg every other day still reported significant hair growth and stopped the hair loss to his satisfaction.

The most common side effect in my practice was puffy eyelids, leg swelling. Similar to any other forms of hair growth product, the gain hair will shed in 3-4 months on stopping the pill. This oral form should not be used in women due to hypertrichosis, it may persist in cases even on discontinuing the drug.

There is also and advantage to oral minoxidil over what topical could not do at least in chemo patients with "permanent" alopecia.

Abstract​

Chemotherapy-induced alopecia is a well-established cause of major distress to patients.

Permanent chemotherapy-induced alopecia (PCIA) is the absence of or incomplete hair regrowth lasting longer than 6 months after the cessation of chemotherapy and it does not respond to standard treatments of scalp cooling or topical minoxidil.

The increasing numbers of reports of PCIA highlight the need for research into an effective treatment. We report a case of a 39 year-old woman with cosmetically significant regrowth after continuous therapy with oral minoxidil.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Add this excellent graph:

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

The side effects of taking nitric oxide donors can almost be guaranteed to mitigated by taking steps to stop peroxynitrite(breakdown product of nitric oxide) formation.

In vivo, peroxynitrite generation represents a crucial pathogenic mechanism in conditions such as stroke, myocardial infarction, chronic heart failure, diabetes, circulatory shock, chronic inflammatory diseases, cancer, and neurodegenerative disorders. Hence, novel pharmacological strategies aimed at removing peroxynitrite might represent powerful therapeutic tools in the future. Evidence supporting these novel roles of NO and peroxynitrite is presented in detail in this review.

Things to stop peroxynitrite:

Phycocyanobilin of spirulina, ferulic acid, long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, good vitamin D status, promotion of hydrogen sulfide production with taurine and N-acetylcysteine, caffeine, epigallocatechin-gallate, butyrogenic dietary fiber, and probiotics may have potential for blunting microglial iNOS induction. Scavenging of peroxynitrite-derived radicals may be amplified with supplemental zinc or inosine. Astaxanthin has potential for protecting the mitochondrial respiratory chain from peroxynitrite and environmental mitochondrial toxins. Healthful programs of nutraceutical supplementation may prove to be useful and feasible in the primary prevention or slow progression of pre-existing PD

Here we come back to nlrp3 with peroxynitrite being the trigger. Search nlrp3 on this forum.

Peroxynitrite activates NLRP3 inflammasome and contributes to hemorrhagic transformation and poor outcome in ischemic stroke with hyperglycemia​