Let's discuss!

Kemp

Reaction score
Hello guys, i want everybody to share and discuss their experiences in regards to hair products and hairloss.
Do you think that hairproducts, waxes, gels etc increase the hairloss? Do they speed up the hairloss? Do you guys notice more shedding etc...
The reason for this topic is that a lot of people (including some dermatologists) advice you not to use hairproducts, but how much truth is there to these advices?

Kemp

Reaction score
So that means that either nobody on Hairlosstalk uses styling products or that you are totally indifferent of what they do to the hair.......

kar343

Reaction score
gels,waxes,hair sprays are not really good for those with hair loss.Its a fact that these products are not the cause of hair loss but they might make things worse.Your scalp should be as clean as possible without hair products.Worst thing is if you dye your hair with hair loss you will have a massive shed.
Just shampoo your hair,apply any topicals like minoxidil which you might use and have a healthy diet.

Kemp

Reaction score
But some men with male pattern baldness use waxes and hair products to make the hair look thicker.
My personal opinion is that if you use hair products that are water soluble and if you rinse out the hair well with water, then there should not
be a big problem with increased hairloss.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also agree they can do little harm for hair loss. Just be a bit conservative with the amounts you use and dont keep them in your head for hours. I remember when i was 15-16, i could keep the gel in my head for like 2 days. I just used some water and restyle.

Too bad i cant use gel anymore since it makes my hair look thinner.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
all hair styling products are not created equal.

i have a rule of thumb that i use... well actually 2:

1) the less "scent" in the product, the better.. whether it's perfumy or chemical scent.. both for my own health and my hair's health, i stay away from that. i never use hair spray, there's no need to use it for short hair imo unless you are creating some elaborate style.

2) when i rinse my hair in the sink, it should be quick... it should not feel like i am pulling my hair out or removing harsh gunk out of my hair which is the feeling that i get from certain gels and glues. i'm a big fan of pomades.. i seem to be the only one in this section that constantly touts how great they truly are. they're the best gel alternative imo and when i rinse my hair, it feels like pure silk.

ali777

Reaction score
I use brand name hair gels, with the occasional mess-up gum.

I envy guys that wake up in the morning and their hair looks fine. My hair goes all over the place, and I really need to apply something on my hair.

I agree with the scent comment. I prefer plain stuff, and I try to use as little as I can.