Lavender, Tea Tree both found to BLOCK the androgen receptor

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
ygrec said:
Well, lavender and rosemary are known as traditional remedies for hairloss. What Malibujoe describes seems like purely anecdotal evidence, and I believe there's no way to determine that the tea tree oil had something to do with it. Anyway, I've been using a shampoo with tea tree oil for a while, at least 5 months, and also applying pure (undiluted) lavender oil to the scalp for at least half a year, as any other topical. I'm using Revivogen and minoxidil as well, and never used lavender oil on its own, so it's hard to tell how much the lavender has done for my hair, but there are definitely no side effects of any kind, and no gyno effects whatsoever. Btw. there are different grades of lavender oil, determined by the concentration of esters. I use the higher 50 grade Bulgarian lavender.

WHere did you buy it?????????? :dunno:

alkulk

Established Member
Reaction score
Matt27 said:
I've only just started using it about 3 weeks ago but I like it so far, it doesn't irritate my scalp and leaves the hair feeling very clean and healthy. It's the Hair Cycle shampoo. Here's a list of all of it's ingredients:

Purified Water, Polyglyceryl Laurate, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Aloe Vera Gel, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Arnica Montana, Extracts of Rosemary, Lavender, Saw Palmetto, Grapefruit Seed and Grape Seed, DI-Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Papain/Bromelain, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Vitamin K, Biotin, Fragrance.

I also use ACTIV-M, T-Gel, Body Shop (PTO) and Lee's 2% Nizoral.

Hey Matt, where do you get this shampoo from?
Thanks

cravinghair

Reaction score
So what do you guys use to replace the tea tree oil? i am looking for a good moisturizer for my scalp as i get a lot of itching and flakes.

malibujoe said:
i have to share some info regarding my shampoo usage. like many on this forum...i was a bit compulsive over hair quality back then (now buzz head and couldn't be happier). anyway, i was using this tea tree oil shampoo (american crew thickening shampoo w/tea tree oil extract) 4x a day minimum DAILY for 2.5 years before discovering the link that connects it to estrogenic effects. looking back realized my dip in libido and weight gain started about 3 months after using the shampoo so much.

i'd use it 2x in morning shower and 2x before bed. yeah, too much i know.

anwyay, i continue to lose weight and w/o. my libido is back. the jan pic (my after pic) was me at 187lbs or so..now im 175lbs and much leaner. chest fat is going away slowly and gut is pretty much non existant.

thx

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
cravinghair said:
So what do you guys use to replace the tea tree oil? i am looking for a good moisturizer for my scalp as i get a lot of itching and flakes.

Use Lavender essential oil, it doens't have the smell, but could really dry up your skin. I used to have oily scalp but have been using lavendar oil mixed in olive oil every night, now I have a really dry scalp BUT no itching or acne anymore.

cravinghair

Reaction score
goata007 said:
cravinghair said:

Use Lavender essential oil, it doens't have the smell, but could really dry up your skin. I used to have oily scalp but have been using lavendar oil mixed in olive oil every night, now I have a really dry scalp BUT no itching or acne anymore.

so do you mix it yourself? do you mix 50-50? and do you use extra virgin olive oil?

cravinghair

Reaction score
goata007 said:
cravinghair said:

so just to confirm here, after reading these posts, and the guy who somehow got man boobs and a gut and lost his libido after using tea tree oil, I should AVOID tea tree oil?

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
cravinghair said:
goata007 said:
cravinghair said:

so do you mix it yourself? do you mix 50-50? and do you use extra virgin olive oil?

just add 3-4 drops in the amount of oil you'd need to massage your entire scalp. yea extra virgin olive oil.

I used tea tree oil for about two months as well - primarily to kill any fungal/parasitic infection on my scalp. The reason I dropped it was because it smelled a lot. As of the man boob thing, actually I think I had very very slight nipple buldge but was just checking it the other day - it's gone!

In short, don't worrry about sexual sides & man boobs. Just do regular checks and you should be fine.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I believe Rosemary, is a anti androgen as well

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
lol @ tea tree causing gyno... :nono:

I've been using tea tree shampoos and conditioners for almost 4 months now with 0 change to my figure.

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no sides, period.

The shampoo and conditioner I use is from "Thursday Plantation"; though it doesn't give a definite percentage of how much Tea Tree Oil is used, the smell is very strong.

I may do some experimenting with liquid Tea Tree Oil in other types of shampoo, but again -- how often does one get sides, especially libido sides, with a topical?

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
like I said earlier...I used tea tree oil (about 5 drops) everyday for several months and no side effects. The only reason I've switched to lavendar is because of the strong smell of tea tree oil. Other than that, they are equally effective at inhibiting dht.

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you just put lavender oil in your conditioner or do you mix it with alcohol?

CCS

Reaction score
bump

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
SoThatsLife said:
Do you just put lavender oil in your conditioner or do you mix it with alcohol?

I add 3-4 drops in some olive oil and apply it before going to bed.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
Topically, lavender oil is cytotoxic as well as photosensitizing.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_oil

could lavender oil damage hair follicles in the long run?

A study demonstrated that lavender oil is cytotoxic to human skin cells in vitro (endothelial cells and fibroblasts) at a concentration of 0.25%.

although it was in vitro and no specific mention of hair cells, so I dont know, I want to use lavender oil since tea tree oil reeks but I do not want to take the chance of damaging my hair follicles.

opinions?

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i read that tea tree oil help the skin to heal by promoting scar formation. not sure if that is a good thing for scalp.

CCS

Reaction score
diffuse propecia said:
Topically, lavender oil is cytotoxic as well as photosensitizing.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_oil

could lavender oil damage hair follicles in the long run?

A study demonstrated that lavender oil is cytotoxic to human skin cells in vitro (endothelial cells and fibroblasts) at a concentration of 0.25%.

although it was in vitro and no specific mention of hair cells, so I dont know, I want to use lavender oil since tea tree oil reeks but I do not want to take the chance of damaging my hair follicles.

opinions?

Alcohol is damaging at those percentages too. 0.08% and you are drunk. Alcohol messes you up, and makes your face red by damaging capilaries, but it is OK as a topical. I'm sure if your topical is 0.25%, and you add it to your skin, only a small amount goes in, and the amount in your skin is much less than 0.25%. You got to use drops of this stuff. 1mL is about 20 average sized drops, or 30 minoxidil drops. 1mL in my shampoo will burn my scalp bad. Tea tree oil burns even worse. So if you just use a few drops in your minoxidil, you will be fine. I put 5 drops in my shampoo.

Just about all of these essential oils will mess you up bad if you don't dilute them. Cytotoxic is relative and concentration dependent. If you put straight hot chillis in your mouth, you can burn your tounge, and not just taste. That is why you are supposed to mix it with beans.

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
Just about all of these essential oils will mess you up bad if you don't dilute them

Is it enough to just mix 2-3drops with conditioner or should one use something like jojoba oil(used in the Scottish study)?

CCS

Reaction score
SoThatsLife said:
CCS said:
Just about all of these essential oils will mess you up bad if you don't dilute them

Is it enough to just mix 2-3drops with conditioner or should one use something like jojoba oil(used in the Scottish study)?

sounds safe to me. I put about 1/2 mL in my 200mL shampoo bottle.