Lavender, Tea Tree both found to BLOCK the androgen receptor

michael barry

Reaction score
http://www.achs.edu/news/news-detail.aspx?nid=76

The following is a review of a recent small study on lavender oil and its potential estrogenic effects (with associated breast enlargement in young boys) by ACHS Professor Dr. Arianna Staruch ND.

This recent experience highlights that essential oils contain biologically active constituents which can have physiologic effects when used topically. The use of these oils should be by those with appropriate training. Indiscriminate exposure of the public to essential oils may need to be evaluated for possible risks.

Is Lavender Essential Oil Associated with breast enlargement in young boys?

A study published in the NEJM this week raised the possibility that lavender essential oil found in common beauty products had caused breast enlargement (gynecomastia) in three young boys in Colorado. The breast enlargement resolved when the boys stopped using the products. The products all contained lavender essential oil, and included a healing balm, soap, body lotion, shampoo and hair gel. (The shampoo and hair gel also contained tea tree oil.) Hormone levels in all three boys remained normal throughout.

The researchers then tested tea tree and lavender oil in vitro, and both were found to stimulate the estrogen receptor and block the androgen receptor. This kind of disruption of hormone signaling pathways is thought to be responsible for gynecomastia and early puberty associated with known endocrine disruptors such as soy, pharmaceuticals, dioxins, furans, and organohalogens. Assessment of estrogenic activity of essential oil constituents has found that citral and geraniol can bind to estrogen receptors in vitro, but did not show estrogenic activity in a mouse model. Lavender essential oil contains geranyl acetate, a compound related to geraniol.

So was it the lavender that cased the abnormal breast enlargement? We can only suspect but not be sure. Because the gynecomastia resolved when the products were stopped, we can make a strong assumption that the products were the cause. None of the boys had been exposed to any known hormone disruptors including soy. The only obvious similarity in the products was the presence of lavender oil, however even the author of the study states that we cannot rule out that other components in the products also possess endocrine disrupting capability. Lavender essential oil was shown in vitro studies to bind to and stimulate the estrogen receptor but animal studies have not shown that this binding translates to estrogenic activity in vivo. However, children are extremely sensitive to estradiol, and no threshold has been established below which no hormonal effects can be seen in children exposed to known endocrine disruptors.

Does this mean that lavender essential oil is not safe for use in children? Compared to the number of children that are exposed to products containing lavender essential oil every day, only a very few may have had this response. In fact in the reported study, a fraternal twin brother of one of the boys also used the lavender skin lotion, but not the lavender soap, and did not show any signs of gynecomastia. However it is only prudent to be aware that the indiscriminate use of essential oils in frequently used household and beauty products may pose some risk to some children.

Should we change the way use lavender essential oil therapeutically? Lavender essential oil has long been viewed as an oil with few if any contraindications or side effects. In light of this study, maybe we should reconsider the use of lavender during pregnancy, nursing or in those with a history of hormone sensitive cancers.

This recent experience highlights that essential oils contain biologically active constituents, which can have physiologic effects when used topically. The use of these oils should be by those with appropriate training. Indiscriminate exposure of the public to essential oils may need to be evaluated for possible risks. It is recommended that the public seek out a Registered Aromatherapist (RA) by searching the Registered Aromatherapists Register at http://www.aromatherapycouncil.org/index.html. All RA’s have passed the national ARC Registration Examination in Aromatherapy and have completed a minimum of a one year Level 2 program in aromatherapy from a college or school that is in compliance with the current NAHA Educational Guidelines. Registration is a mark of the candidates dedication to the Aromatherapy field and to the safety of his or her clients and customers.

Footnotes:

How do environmental estrogen disruptors induce precocious puberty? Massart, et al; Minerva Pediatr 2006 Jun; 58(3):247

Assessment of estrogenic activity in some common essential oil constituents. Hoews MJ, et al; J. Pharm Pharmacol. 2002 Nov; 54(11):1521

Anticonflict effects of lavender oil and identification of its active constituents. Umezu T; et al; Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2006 Dec; 85(4):713

The sensitivity of the child to sex steroids: possible impact of exogenous estrogens. Aksglaede L, et al; Hum Reprod Update. 2006 Jul-Aug; 12(4):342

More......................[url]http://www.gg ... 2/ab19.cfm[/url]

"Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree Oils
« Back to Volume 23, Issue 2, June 2007 - Table of Contents

Print this article
E-mail to a colleague
Prepubertal gynecomastia is rare and should always be considered pathological and worthy of a compete assessment to determine the cause, even though the underlying pathology is not often determined. In the paper by Henley et al, 3 patients were reported in whom the development of gynecomastia was associated with repeated exposure to topical products containing lavender and tea tree oils. Gynecomastia resolved once use of the products ceased. The patients were 4 5/12, 10 1/12, and 7 10/12 years of age and presented gynecomastia of 2-3 weeks, 5 months, and 1 month duration, respectively. They had no exposure to exogenous estrogens (ingestants, salves, or ointments) and did not report using drugs, medications, soy products, herbal supplements, or lotions. Breast sizes were Tanner stage 2, ranging in size from 2.0 to 4.0 cm in diameter and genitalia were prepubertal Tanner stage 1. Laboratory data were unremarkable with normal serum concentrations of sex steroids and other hormones. The mother of one patient reported applying “healing balm†which contained lavender oil daily shortly before breasts were noted. Another patient was applying a styling gel to his hair and scalp every morning and regularly using shampoo, both containing lavandaula angustifolia (lavender) oil and maleleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil for 9 months. The last patient also used lavender-scented commercial skin lotions and soap intermittently. The gynecomastia was resolved in these 3 patents once these products were discontinued. Furthermore, the authors performed studies in human breast-cancer cell lines MCF-7 and MDA-kb2 to determine the estrogenic and antiandrogenic activities, respectively, of the oils used by the patients to determine if the oils were the culprit in the development of gynecomastia. These cells express estrogen or androgen receptors and were cultured with various concentrations of the lavender and tee tree oil. Luciferase assays, reverse-transciptase, and real time polymerase-chain reactions (PCR) analyses were performed. Both oils stimulated luciferase activity in MCF-1 cells in a dose-dependant manner. The estrogen receptor antagonist, fulvestrant, inhibited the transactivation of the luciferase, indicating that the activity of the oils was estrogen-receptor dependent. Further experiments indicated that the 2 oils modulated the expression of the estrogen regulated endogenous genes in a manner similar to the effect of 1nM 17 beta-estradiol. The potential antiandrogenic properties of lavender and tea tree oil were performed in the MDA-kb2 cells with androgen receptors trans-fected with an androgen-inducible reporter plasmid. Neither lavender or tea tree oil transactivated the luciferase reporter plasmid at any concentration tested; whereas the cells with the androgen-receptor agonist dihydrotestosterone (DHT) expressed an increase in luciferase activity that was almost 4 times greater than the controls. Transactivation of the luciferase reporter plasmid by 0.1 nM DHT was inhibited by both lavender and tea tree oil in a concentration dependent manner and inhibited androgen inducible genes. The antiandrogenic properties of the oils did not cause down regulation of the expression of the androgen receptors. The authors concluded that lavender and tea tree oils contain endocrine-disrupting activity that cause an imbalance in estrogen and androgen pathway signaling resulting in prepubertal gynecomastia.

Henley DV, Lipson N, Korach KS, Bloch CA. Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree Oils. New Eng J Med. 2007;356:479-85."

It would seem to me that both of these would give you side effects though.......................................just my opinion.

I seen a guy on one board who had pictures of himself after using tea tree oil shampoo for many months who had a "gut" and some gyno. He got off the tea tree oil shampoo and took his picture again several months later with no man-boobs and a relatively flat stomach. It made me think................

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
Did this guy also post before and after pictures of his hair or just his man-boobs?? Reason I ask is because one of the shampoo's I'm using now has both Lavender and Tea Tree Oil in it.

IBM

Reaction score
Matt27 said:
Did this guy also post before and after pictures of his hair or just his man-boobs?? Reason I ask is because one of the shampoo's I'm using now has both Lavender and Tea Tree Oil in it.

What is your results?

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well i use shampoo's with main ingredient Tea Tree Oil (one had aldo Lavender)...for 2 years (now i also use Micellarin Green from Elsom)and i can only say GOOD'S about them...i had always a sensitive scalp, and the lotions i've used almos always caused me bad reactions, so i had recorrent inflamation, dandruff.....and since almost a year to now, i completly STOPED having those problems...but than again, everybody reacts diferently to the same ingredients, so...
To be honest this study didn't proove anything, even the authors expressed they still didn't know in what way those ingredients caused the problems...IF in any way...i wonder if that was a direct consequence of the use of the ingredients, why the aborigenes that use Tea Tree Oil, since the "begining of ages" (and in much larger uses and quantaties than any of us)don't have reported problems like these...hey they even are among us, procriating and living more healthier than most of us...today there are many studys, we can easily pick for each component (chemic or natural), pro's and con's studys even with cientific "reported" basis...my opinion is read, listen...but take always in count that there are many interests out there to be defended and atacked...so take you own conclusions, based in your personal experiences and of course...always use comun sense to make decisions.

But it's alawys good to have these cases to analyse, but give them the importance they have and in the light of what they were made...and not make out of them, "biblical judgments" or see each "reported" studys as Holly Graals! :innocent:

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
toivonen, whats the name of the shampoo that you use?

michael, which oils/extracts would you recommend for topical use? I'm interested in stuff that has both ant-inflammatory and anti-androgenic properties. Currently, i'm planning on use olive oil (carrier) + arnica extract + cedarwood oil + lavendar oil...what do you think about this combo?

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
Calosol Oil Blend contains:
Jojoba, Calendulla, Grapeseed, Thyme Red, Basil, Lavender, Triticum Vulgare, Frankincense, Rosemary, Cedarwood, Benzoin, Vitamin E.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used only 2, Jason Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Shampoo and Faith in Nature Teat Tree Shampoo.. both of them SUPERB...let's say that the Jason one has also some other interesting ingredients...the Faith in Nature one, is almost Tea Tree and the minimum ingredients possible (witch is sometimes better for people that already use other topical products, cause it minimizes the possible bad interactions)...both SLS free and like said before TOP best for my scalp...it's a relief to have a healthy scalp, and not to worry about itching and dandruff or inflamation...besides, it gives me the possibility to use in a non stop basis my topical treatments without problems...oh, and don't forget the Micellarin from Elsom, witch may not have Tea Tree, but has some other similar and potentialy healty ingredients :)

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry also used PhytoApaisant +, from Phyto...it's very good for those situations and also has Tea Tree

michael barry

Reaction score
goata,

the four 'classic' essential oils were cedarwood, lavender, rosemary, and thyme.

be careful with arnica though...............internally its a poison and these oils can absorb very well.

scottish mummies (with ful heads of hair) were found years ago preserved in a peat bog from way back (B.C.), and they all had cedarwood in their hair...........................it made me wonder. Still does.

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
Matt27 said:

What is your results?

I've only just started using it about 3 weeks ago but I like it so far, it doesn't irritate my scalp and leaves the hair feeling very clean and healthy. It's the Hair Cycle shampoo. Here's a list of all of it's ingredients:

Purified Water, Polyglyceryl Laurate, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Aloe Vera Gel, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Arnica Montana, Extracts of Rosemary, Lavender, Saw Palmetto, Grapefruit Seed and Grape Seed, DI-Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Papain/Bromelain, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Vitamin K, Biotin, Fragrance.

I also use ACTIV-M, T-Gel, Body Shop (PTO) and Lee's 2% Nizoral.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Matt27 said:

i'm the guy who was using tea tree oil shampoo. no i don't have before/after pics of my hair cuz there was no real difference in it.

here are pics of my gut the day i stopped the shampoo and another pic 6mos later.

Attachments

• 7-1-07 a.jpg
    7-1-07 a.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,895
  • 1-7-08 a.jpg
    1-7-08 a.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3,131

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow thats quite a difference. Its amazing how much effect a shampoo can have. Gonna do another thread about transfollicular drug delivery (drugs crossing into the body via the hair follicle) and how 2 minutes is sufficient time for caffeine to be absorbed from shampoo. This was not thought to be possible before.
hh

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
i have to share some info regarding my shampoo usage. like many on this forum...i was a bit compulsive over hair quality back then (now buzz head and couldn't be happier). anyway, i was using this tea tree oil shampoo (american crew thickening shampoo w/tea tree oil extract) 4x a day minimum DAILY for 2.5 years before discovering the link that connects it to estrogenic effects. looking back realized my dip in libido and weight gain started about 3 months after using the shampoo so much.

i'd use it 2x in morning shower and 2x before bed. yeah, too much i know.

anwyay, i continue to lose weight and w/o. my libido is back. the jan pic (my after pic) was me at 187lbs or so..now im 175lbs and much leaner. chest fat is going away slowly and gut is pretty much non existant.

thx

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
malibujoe said:
Matt27 said:

i'm the guy who was using tea tree oil shampoo. no i don't have before/after pics of my hair cuz there was no real difference in it.

here are pics of my gut the day i stopped the shampoo and another pic 6mos later.

ive read your post in the past.... arnt i correct in recalling that in the post you showed these before and after pics of what you was like before you started getting in shape at the gym to what you look like now your at the gym?

you noted that you had shaved your head and stopped all hair treatment products and decided to get in shape to compensate for lack of hair?

So isnt it likley that your manboob and beer belly in the pic is just from lifestyle, before you got fit?

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well i'm very sorry for you...but mantain by view/point...there wasn't scientificly estabelished a conection..the only thing that was reported was a coincidence in the usage of certain products and your problems, but when trying in the light of science make a conection, the study says, it didn't came to any conclusion.

We try and take so many things these days, and interact with such strange products and sub-products in daily basis, that is almost impossible in a non-controled enviornment establish a direct conection...the proof is that, the number of people that uses Tea Tree Oil in a number of products without reported problems, it's much higher...so...and also like said before, it's beeing used by natives from Australia since thousands of years, and they are still here and i don't see them with the problems you had, the only thing that destroyed them was the human stupidity of the new comers, centurys ago...oh, not to mention that one of the uses of Tea Tree was directly over wounds!!...so the absortion would be much greater than in other product present in the market...not to mention also, they used the component in much higher concentrations (2% is the maximum advised in shampoo's and other cosmetics) than the allowed ones these days.

That said, i'm not saying i don't believe you...what i said is, or you did have an unfortunate coincidance with other factors that altered your organic behaviour, or that you are one of those 0,000000001% people that have side-effects with components, that are considered by the vast majority as SAFE...heck, even Paracetamol or plain water in abundance, are reported to cause problems in a small percentage of people, but that don't mean that they can be considered as DANGER ones.

My view is (untill scientificly prooven the oposit), that Tea Tree Oil, in the way that is safely dosed in our products and used in the advised way, it's a SAFE component, and even benefic for a number of things, specifcally in our great war against the problems of hair/scalp, and will continue to use with no reticence.

PS-I'm happy that, regardless of the causes, we are in the good road to be ok. :)

michael barry

Reaction score
tea tree and lavender soaps were shown to cause gyno in pre-pubertal boys

this is fact.....................an unarguable fact as a google search will show anyone.

so apparently the effects of these substances can be systemically absorbed through the dermis at least to some degree, granted a body wash gets a hell of alot more coverage of the dermis than a shampoo does, but the implication of the effects going deeper than the dermis is unchanged

Here is the pasted Google search for "tea tree and gynochamastia":

NEJM -- Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree OilsOriginal Article from The New England Journal of Medicine -- Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree Oils.
content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/356/5/479 - Similar pages

Lavender and Tea Tree Oils May Cause Breast Growth in Boys ...Jan 31, 2007 ... Reference: Henley D, Lipson N, Korach K, Bloch C. Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree Oils. ...
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Tea tree oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaIn all cases, the prepubertal gynecomastia reversed after several months. Use of the products containing lavender and tea tree oils were also discontinued ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] Neither lavender oil nor tea tree oil can be linked to breast ...File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
amount of tea tree oil in the hair gel, tea tree oil can be ruled out as a possible cause of. this boy’s gynecomastia. However, liberal use of a hair gel ...
http://www.naturalingredient.org/Articl ... mastia.pdf - Similar pages

Lavender oil and tea tree oil: A cause of gynecomastia ...Feb 9, 2007 ... Lavender oil and tea tree oil may cause breast enlargement (gynecomastia) in young boys.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tea-tree-oil/AN01555 - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Cropwatch Newsletter 4The development of enlarged breasts (idiopathic prepubertal gynecomastia) in five boys aged four to seven who had been exposed to tea tree oil and lavender ...
http://www.cropwatch.org/nlet4art1.htm - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Prepubertal gynecomastia linked to lavender and tea tree oils.In all three boys, gynecomastia coincided with the topical application of products that contained lavender and tea tree oils. Gynecomastia resolved in each ...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17267908 - Similar pages

the aromaconnection blog: Lavender/Tea Tree/GynecomastiaJust a note that the original article (February 2007) in the New England Journal of Medicine on Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree ...
http://www.aromaconnection.org/lavender ... index.html - 66k - Cached - Similar pages

Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked To Lavender And Tea Tree OilsFeb 19, 2007 ... UroToday.com- Prepubertal gynecomastia is uncommon and idiopathic in over 90% of cases. Not infrequently, urologists may identify ...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/63421.php - 59k - Cached - Similar pages

Green Fertility: Prepubertal Enlarged Breasts (Gynecomastia ...May 9, 2007 ... Yes, I think gynecomastia is probably more caused by industrial chemicals, but IF someone's using tea tree oil, hopefully it's something ...
greenfertility.blogspot.com/2007/05/prepubertal-gynecomastia-linked-to.html - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

That is just page one, there were other pages.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if i had "false" to your search i also find many opinions and even studys that go against that study...some more legitimated than others..of course....but let's focus in the study itself, cause that was in the origin of this, and altough my language it's not the English i SUSPECT (this is a very important word in the topic, as we'll further see) i got it right:

1-"The common use of products containing lavender oil, tea tree oil, or both by the three boys and the resolution of their gynecomastia within months after ceasing use of those products suggest that these oils may possess endocrine-disrupting activity that causes an imbalance in estrogen and androgen pathway signaling. Other components in these products may also possess endocrine-disrupting activity that contributed to the gynecomastia, but those components were not tested because we chose to evaluate only the component that was found in all the products used by the patients (lavender oil) and a chemically similar component that was found in some of the products (tea tree oil). "

So here we see that the ONLY comun component was only Lavender, and that even admit that there were other components that could be related..interesting..

2-"In Case 3, the patient was exposed intermittently to various over-the-counter personal-care products containing lavender oil. His twin brother used the same lotions but not the scented soap, and gynecomastia did not develop in him. "

Here we can see that besides beeing exposed to other products/factors, one of the case had a twin, that had NO PROBLEM whatsoever when using the same things...i find this in the minimum very interesting and perfectly in synthony when i said earlier that IF ANYTHING this coould be one of the 0,000000001 % cases where a generally safe component used by thousands or millions, can still cause abnormal reactions to a residual number of cases.

3-"On the basis of the three case reports and the in vitro studies, we SUSPECT that repeated topical application of over-the-counter products containing lavender oil or tea tree oil was the cause of gynecomastia in the three patients. "

Didn't i told you "suspection" will be an important issue?!? :hump:

Now least but not last, the authors even say in theire conclusion this:

"Until epidemiologic studies are performed to determine the prevalence of gynecomastia associated with exposure to lavender oil and tea tree oil, we suggest that the medical community should be aware of the possibility of endocrine disruption and should caution patients about repeated exposure to any products containing these oils. "

That is, that even they find necessary other more conclusive and enlarged scale studys on the subject.

I think i don't even bother in saying much since is the study itself, that speaks for me...the study the ONLY ONE STUDY performed in 3 PEOPLE!...i find it funny that such thing aroused such reactions, when prooven related things causing the same problems are taken many times in such a light way...like taking Finasteride/Antidepressents...or even ways of life, like the simple use of Marijuana or drinking alcohol...not to mention something we can't pass outside...AGING!!! http://www.ohiohealth.com/bodymayo.cfm? ... l&ref=3202

I don't want to abset anyone (much less
you Michael, that always been a guidance to me and others), just to advise people to always read and interprete things with a certain scpeticism, cause those of us that are here longer, have often found that the same things judged TRUE in one day, are FALSE/UNPROOVEN and vice-versa.

Point is, each one will always see the same thing with diferent eyes, and all of us have our tendencys, and that's what make this world and aproach so rich...at the end of the day, each one will choose his pathway, i'll certainly will and regarding Tea Tree with absolutly no fear and only personal good experiences of long regular/ADVISED use! (perhaps me, his twin brother, the native Australians that are the ones that more use and may i say "abuse" the use of tea tree, and that in this topic are still beein neglected AND the vast majority of people using that component, are jus LUCKY ones)...

...just expressing my views, not trying to "pull" them to others or flame anything, with i think all the legitimicy and as good as reasons as others.

Now, back to the basis, cause i don't like to spent so much time with such subjective unconclusive things...respect, good luck and Bye

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't read this thread but, I use the TTO from Hollywood Beauty from CVS. (so not shampoo form)

Includes: Soybean Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Safflower Oil, Vitamin E, Carrot Extract, Aloe Vera Extract, Rose Hips Oil, Peanut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Methylparaben (and) Isopropylparaben (and) Isobutylparaben (and) Butylparaben, Fragrance, D&C Red No. 17, D&C Yellow No. 11.

I have lost weight while on it, without episodes of gyno. It's very cheap also, and there quite a few benefits from using TTO. I will read this thread later but figured I'd at least post my own experience.. many people on many forums have used TTO or SBT for years (often for demodex, or itching, scalp health, etc).. without any unusual reports.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
chancer said:
malibujoe said:
Matt27 said:

ive read your post in the past.... arnt i correct in recalling that in the post you showed these before and after pics of what you was like before you started getting in shape at the gym to what you look like now your at the gym?

you noted that you had shaved your head and stopped all hair treatment products and decided to get in shape to compensate for lack of hair?

So isnt it likley that your manboob and beer belly in the pic is just from lifestyle, before you got fit?

i didn't have the belly and man boob fat before taking the shampoo...it just gradually started coming on (looking back it started about 3 mos after starting the shampoo only i never connected the two). actually i was working out during trying to eat healthy the while i was using the shampoo only i was never seeing results. i was always bloated and constipated all the while eating healthy and getting plenty of fiber and water. also w/o'd out at the gym but would stop after a month or so cuz i was never getting results and only putting on more fat. than would resume w/o a few months later to get the same result..which was nothing.

as soon as i stopped the shampoo i the constipation and bloated feeling went away within a week or so. the weight started to come down a little over the next 3 months w/no working out. that's when i got back into the gym and started seeing/feeling results within a few weeks which motivated me to step it up a notch.

haven't done anything for hairloss in almost 4 yrs now...other than excessive shampooing which was pointless looking back.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
ALL

I'm sure using TTO shampoo once a day or so won't cause harm to adult males...it may have caused some estrogenic effects to younger men whose hormonal balance may be easier to disrupt.

As of for the study..it merits credit as it was reported in the New England Journal of Medicine. My wife is a physician and I had a about 10 different diagnoses that I came up with cuz all my labs suggested I was fine. When I found about Tea Tree Oil possibly being the cause of my issues I stopped using it before I ran to her telling her I found out my problem. After 2 or 3 weeks I felt so good and hadn't bitched once about bloated/constipation in so long that she asked me what was going on and did my problems go away? I mentioned TTO being a factor and she was like 'what???'...i showed her the study and thought she was gonna roll her eyes but she kept reading. I mentioned I wasn't sure how legite it was and she said if its in the New Eng Journ of Med than it's legite. To this day she's amazed that I linked the two with help of that study. This dialouge w/my wife isn't relevant at all..but was fun for me to see her surprised as sh*t.

No, the study didn't confirm but it speculated which is enough to warrant a concern...only cuz they did controlled studies where they showed that TTO can attach to cells and have an estrogenic effect. I'm glad I came across the study and simply eliminated the shampoo....cuz it really gave me life back (i know sounds corny but soo true).

I'm happy, energetic, and feel like my old self again only with more confidence than ever and best shape of my life.

Thx for letting me share.