Lavender, Tea Tree both found to BLOCK the androgen receptor

michael barry

Reaction score
Malibu Joe,

I too have American Crew Thickening Shampoo.............................and I used to use it once a day and leave it in for 2-4 minutes. I hat bloating, less libido, and constipation also that ceased when I quit using it.

I know for a fact that peppermint internally will cause these side effects as men who drank peppermint tea in a Turkish study complained of no libido, perhaps Tonivoen, who seems really interested in Tea Tree Oil (maybe he's had a great result with it---its been known to be helpful for many with cuts and inflammation, even though it will kill your cat :) ), is right and it was something else in that shampoo that was effecting us both. Ive been briefly using the shampoo to wash my face since, quickly getting it off. I felt "blah" for about the two months I used it.

Tonivoen.................................
Whats important about my original post is the fact that both tea tree and lavender were shown able to dually stimulate the estrogen receptor (great) and block the androgen receptor (also great) in experiments---so both are potentially very effective against male pattern baldness if we can use them in such a way as to avoid systemic absorbtion. But the good news is that both are available without a prescription and lavender in particular is very cheap.

Im currently using cedarwood oil on one side of my chin to see if it will reduce beard hair there to see if it inhibits receptor uptake at the site of application. We have to be careful with some of the essential oils. Arnica, for example, is literally a poison internally...............even though experiments have shown it to inhibit receptor uptake. Oils are very small molecules and can in some instances go right through the skin. I think I remember reading about one essential oil that could be applied to the skin and it will be in every part of the body within 21 minutes or something..............meaning the difference between oral injestion and topical application for it (might have been orange oil or something like that, I forget which one it was) is very small. Dutasteride topically seems to be fully absorbed as does flutamide.......................which is a bummer of course.

Im glad if you've had a good experience with tea tree however, Ive read about its healing and anti-inflammatory effects and am sure they are quite useful.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, i understood what was your point, and even thoght at the middle of my reply, what the hell were we saying, when the most important conclusion was that they could be seen as of good use for fighting our greates "enemy" male pattern baldness :) ...if used with due care and advise, and always having the notion that everything for more inocous it may seem, can bring a certain risk.

I to think (and much inspired by people like you) that the possible answer will be found (besides futur genetic engneering) by mixing what we know in the present light of modern science, with what nature gave us, as a result of millions years of evolution...and i still do.
That's why in this moment (and for sometime now), i like the philosofy of Elsom (and NO, i don't gain anything in advertising), witch is using naturals with good backmark and potential, in a new/hi-tech way...not only by using eficacy and inocous vehicles of delivering, but by using optimal manipulations methods for those naturals....like said before, if any other company as imo the same philosofy or method, i gladly will try it.
But to not go way from the subject, i found the PERSONAL experience of using Tea Tree Oil products, a very good one, i was one of the people that always had a sensitive scalp/skin, and the more i applied topicals (some of them with good reputation or potential) the worst was the situation...since i've used Tea Tree shampoos (yes i've tried Nizoral, T/Sal....)and mind you, not all of them are top notch, you have to be carefull of the companys you use.

All the best...

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh..and the ones i've used and that i can say for PERSONAL experience are the best (like said before) are the Faith in NAture and Jason ones...the Elsom topicals i used are Juveline (that has a broad spectrum of action,like anti DHT, but mainly anti-oxidant, stimulating and anti-inflmatory use) and Nanoscalp (witch altough having the propertis of Juveline, as a more anti DHT aspect as main purpose)...but mainly the Juveline...with as fars as now goos results, my male pattern baldness as not progressed since almost 2 years, and since i use the last product, i can feel some hairs poking...but still not visible, i hope in the futur that i can confirm that feeling...till now, my current regimen are keepers....oh by the way, since some months ago i stop using Finasteride, and will stop in a near future ALL the internal DHT inibitors, besides feeling that they don't add-up anything to my topicals, i find that we should not mess with certain things, at least in such a strong way as internal suplements or drugs (and speaking with some scientists and medics of a vast comunity, that seems to be theire opinion to)...not even male pattern baldness "deserves" such radical aproach..IMHO of course.

Bye and ALL the Luck for you guys

helpme23

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am using lavender oil on my skin a lot for my adult acne on my neck. It has helped so much and I dont think I could stop using it now. Should I be worried?

Thx

:)

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but i don't think i'll be much wrong or you'll take much risks to follow this...if it's working and don't give you side effects, and till further more substantiated studys...keep using it! :) IMHO

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
helpme23 said:
I am using lavender oil on my skin a lot for my adult acne on my neck. It has helped so much and I dont think I could stop using it now. Should I be worried?

how do you apply lavender oil to your skin? you mix it in olive oil, water,...?

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
michael, do you think using a shampoo with tree tea oil or lavender in it is good enough? i mean would enough of that stuff absorb in the scalp to make any difference, since i'd be applying the shampoo for 2-3 minutes only. As compared to mixing the stuff in olive oil and using it before bed?

toivonen said:
Oh..and the ones i've used and that i can say for PERSONAL experience are the best (like said before) are the Faith in NAture and Jason ones...the Elsom topicals i used are Juveline (that has a broad spectrum of action,like anti DHT, but mainly anti-oxidant, stimulating and anti-inflmatory use) and Nanoscalp (witch altough having the propertis of Juveline, as a more anti DHT aspect as main purpose)...but mainly the Juveline...with as fars as now goos results, my male pattern baldness as not progressed since almost 2 years, and since i use the last product

toivonen, which product are you referring to by 'last product'? Also, I did a search for the shampoos that you mentioned and some people have complained about Jason's Dog shampoo like smell and that it caused irritation. Couldn't find reviews for the other shampoo though.

Guys help me out here, I want to order the stuff by tomorrow so let me know if shampoos are (or could be) as effective as oils. And which ones would you highly recommend, I'm leaning towards tree tea oil because it also has anti-fungal properties but, according to the study michael posted, is less effective in binding to ARs as compared to lavender. So maybe a shampoo with both, tree tea oil and lavender, in it or mixing my own oils.

Btw, which online retailer do you guys use for ordering essential oils? I'm also going to order some peppermint oil and try it on my arms, to get rid of the hair and possibly keep the arms chilly in the summer.

michael barry

Reaction score
lavender is soluble in ethanol........................i got it online from some aromatherapy store or another that sold many many other oils---cant think of the name of the place right off hand.

you can make a good mix of alot of oils in ethanol (everclear), and shake up..............maybe 3 to five percent or so......and then dilute with purified water -afterwards- and it will mix well. Alot of these oils wont mix with water very well alone at all (oil and water usually dont mix).....................the four 'classic' essential oils for hair were cedarwood, lavender, rosemary, and thyme........and i think all were ethanol soluble if my memory serves

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks guys,

one question still remains open....is 2-3 minute shampoo job good enough to get lavender & tea-tree oil in the scalp? I'm very interested in tea-tree's ability to knock-out mites, and I just think shampoo may not stay long enough to kill/remove mites. I have very itchy scalp, so just wanna put that mite theory to test.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
That i can't answer you...i guess no one can for sure really...altough so many things come in a daily basis, i always have the feeling that we're always dealing with a STILL very shadowed theme... :( ...just for the record, i keep mine for about 2-3 min..but have no clue if that's the correct time, it's just a personal routine.

xcvq

Reaction score
goata007 said:
thanks guys,

one question still remains open....is 2-3 minute shampoo job good enough to get lavender & tea-tree oil in the scalp? I'm very interested in tea-tree's ability to knock-out mites, and I just think shampoo may not stay long enough to kill/remove mites. I have very itchy scalp, so just wanna put that mite theory to test.

Lavender oil itself seems like it penetrates pretty fast:

"In a study to determine if lavender essential oil was absorbed from the skin following a massage, it was shown that the oil’s main constituents could be detected in the blood within 5 minutes and excreted within 90 minutes."

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
xcvq said:
"In a study to determine if lavender essential oil was absorbed from the skin following a massage, it was shown that the oil’s main constituents could be detected in the blood within 5 minutes and excreted within 90 minutes."

leaves pretty fast too :dunno:

rusty_y2k2

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that means it can be detected in excretion, not that it is all excreted by that point.

ygrec

Reaction score
Well, lavender and rosemary are known as traditional remedies for hairloss. What Malibujoe describes seems like purely anecdotal evidence, and I believe there's no way to determine that the tea tree oil had something to do with it. Anyway, I've been using a shampoo with tea tree oil for a while, at least 5 months, and also applying pure (undiluted) lavender oil to the scalp for at least half a year, as any other topical. I'm using Revivogen and minoxidil as well, and never used lavender oil on its own, so it's hard to tell how much the lavender has done for my hair, but there are definitely no side effects of any kind, and no gyno effects whatsoever. Btw. there are different grades of lavender oil, determined by the concentration of esters. I use the higher 50 grade Bulgarian lavender.

abcdefg

Reaction score
What shampoo was it your using that has tea tree oil in it? or what is a good shampoo with tea tree oil or some other powerful androgen receptor blocker?

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
CALOSOL Essential oil is good as a treat a few times a week just before retiring to condition your scalp.

Piroctone Olamine shampoo which I first mentioned many years ago on these hairloss forums is Very important.

A topical that helps with Inflammation is even more important.

Regards
Pete

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Although the Calosol 4h Topical spray is designed for Alopecia.
I think it should help with the inflammation component in male pattern baldness also.
I do also think that they may need to increase the strength of the current Calosol Spray so that it is more suited to male pattern baldness.

Regards
Pete