Lavender and Tea Tree compared to flutamide in study, chart

michael barry

Reaction score
https://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/356/5/479/F2

F2

Figure 2. Antiandrogenic Activity of Lavender and Tea Tree Oils in Breast-Cancer (MDA-kb2) Cells.

MDA-kb2 cells that were stably transfected with the MMTV-luciferase (firefly) plasmid were treated for 24 hours with increasing concentrations of lavender oil (Panel A) or tea tree oil (Panel B) in the presence or absence of DHT. The firefly luciferase activity was normalized to the total protein content for each sample. The data were averaged and plotted as the average (±SE) fold increase above vehicle control of three independent experiments performed in quadruplicate. The upper dashed lines in Panels A and B represent treatment of the cells with DHT alone, and the lower dashed lines represent treatment with DHT in the presence of flutamide. For the comparison between treatment with DHT and treatment with ethanol (the solvent control) alone, P<0.001. For the comparison between treatment with either DHT plus flutamide or DHT plus either lavender oil (at 0.001% and 0.005%) or tea tree oil (at 0.005%) and treatment with DHT alone, P<0.001. For the comparison between treatment with DHT plus tea tree oil at 0.0005% and treatment with DHT alone, P<0.05. For the comparison between treatment with tea tree oil at 0.001% and treatment with DHT alone, P<0.01. In Panel C, MDA-kb2 cells were treated with 0.1 nM DHT for 24 hours in the presence or absence of 0.005% (vol/vol) lavender oil, 0.005% (vol/vol) tea tree oil, or 1 µM of flutamide. Real-time PCR was performed to measure the steady-state mRNA concentrations of CYP4F8, C1orf116, UGT2B28, and SEC14L2. All values were normalized to β2-microglobulin, and each data point represents the average increase above vehicle control of the values obtained from three independent experiments performed in duplicate.

If you look at the chart.....................the oils could inhibit the androgen receptor (they didn't affect the expression of the receptor, so they must be blocking it) every bit as well as flutamide. A smaller volume of flutamide was used, but the values below the activity in the pure DHT culture were profound. Obviously something in these oils blocks the androgen receptor.

I wonder if topical application in an adult male will yield unacceptable side effects?

If you look at the lavender chart................you will see that when .01 nM of lavender was cultivated with DHT, the inhibition of DHT was equal to that of on pM of pure flutamide, indicating that lavender can (at a higher concentraion, but still very little of it as a substance) inhibit the androgen receptor equal to flutamide. It took MORE of tea tree to get the inhibition of the androgen receptor down to flutamide levels (and indeed it never got all the way down to flutamide levels, but it got fairly close).

I wonder if topical lavender (again) would have bad side effects though........

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess its a shame that they didnt compare it to hydroxyflutamide which is the much more antiandrogenic metabolite that is responsible for most of flutamides effects. I doubt it would be metabolised much in those cellular assays. Here in Australia you can get Tea Tree oil and Lavender oil at my local supermarket.
hh

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
Excellent post and study Michael!

I've been shampooing with my Lavender & Tea Tree Oil shampoo now for about a month and have not experienced any side effects from it. I also use Alpecin and Nizoral 2% so I think I've got my anti-DHT shampoo's covered lol.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
harold said:
I guess its a shame that they didnt compare it to hydroxyflutamide which is the much more antiandrogenic metabolite that is responsible for most of flutamides effects. I doubt it would be metabolised much in those cellular assays.

I'll remind everyone again that in one of the rare early human studies with topical flutamide, they used BOTH flutamide and hydroxyflutamide, and couldn't tell any difference in the antiandrogenic effect of the two (as measured by sebaceous gland inhibition). There would appear to be only a couple of reasonable explanations for that phenomenon: 1) the local skin cells were fully capable of converting the flutamide into hydroxyflutamide, so they ended up the same (as hydroxyflutamide); and 2) topical flutamide only works by systemic absorption, so it was converted into hydroxyflutamide in the liver before getting back to that area of skin where it was originally applied.

For all the people who are interested in using topical flutamide, I _hope_ the correct explanation is #1, and not #2! :)

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this study is of GREAT significancy...i wish someone make more complementary studys on these substances and indeed in others every beat as potential ones as Tea Tree or Lavender...it's more and more obvious now, that altough "natural", there are some very powerfull weapons out there in mother nature!...only a blind man can't see, or like they say..."the worst blind, is the one who don't want to see"!

Of course, there's the other side that everybody must have present on theire minds...NATURE is powerfull regarding the GOOD things, but it must be also dealt with care and knoledge...but the main point is...another road is opened for us to explore regarding our problem! :)

thinninglatino80

Reaction score
Hmm so our main concern are the side effects of a concentrated Lavender application? I guess its just a matter of who wants to be the guinea pig and try it out. Would be great as another option if not as a supplement for our regimen.

el_duterino

Reaction score
Matt27 said:

I've been shampooing with my Lavender & Tea Tree Oil shampoo now for about a month and have not experienced any side effects from it. I also use Alpecin and Nizoral 2% so I think I've got my anti-DHT shampoo's covered lol.

Not sure if that's very efficient, since you are exposing your entire scalp area to possible systemic absorbtion in order to treat only about a third of that area.

We do not bald from the two sides and back of the head, no point in using anti DHT drugs there.

To maximize the "local benefits vs. side effects" ratio, you might want to consider concentrating lavender oil on the thinning spots, and use a normal shampoo.

Any suggestion for a good brand or type of lavender oil ? I might add this to my regimen.
Cheers
El Duterino

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Michael for the study.

Lavender oil, tea tree oil...?

Ah, Oh Yes, they are components of my bet, Oropelum, others are thyme oil, camomille etc.

Armando

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
el_duterino said:
Matt27 said:

Not sure if that's very efficient, since you are exposing your entire scalp area to possible systemic absorbtion in order to treat only about a third of that area.

We do not bald from the two sides and back of the head, no point in using anti DHT drugs there.

To maximize the "local benefits vs. side effects" ratio, you might want to consider concentrating lavender oil on the thinning spots, and use a normal shampoo.

Any suggestion for a good brand or type of lavender oil ? I might add this to my regimen.
Cheers
El Duterino

Well I mix it 50/50 with my Nizoral and I don't think you'll find many objections to using Nizoral all over your head, so not sure why it's such a bad idea to use the other shampoo there as well.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
michael, i'm not good with reading all these studies and understanding the percentages. In laymen's terms, can you tell me how much lavender oil (same as extract?) should I mix in olive oil (or water?)? I'm willing to be the guinea pig for this one.

Btw, since it blocks androgen receptor, it should decrease sebum too, right?

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about Tea Tree (i know, i sound as i belong to the Tea Tree lobby of Australia, but don't worry besides being from Portugal, my only lobby is the United Brothers of the Follicle :jump: ), altough not having quite the same results, the diference was almost NOTHING, and we don't even know PRECISELLY in what % both components can be used....IMO one of the greates advantage of Tea Tree oil, is the fact that there is more concrete studys, not only with some time, but also some very recent...in almost all of them, the efficacy and safety were demonstrated (if used correctly) and also the spectrum of "goodness" is much larger than the antiandrogenic use...it's of great beneffit for people with sensitive scalp, inflamation, and even to a certain extent with tendency for dandruff...wich was my case and i suspect of many who have ultimetly HairLoss, also it's very helpfull cause when using a topical regime, often those same persons agravate those problems, and Tea Tree shampoo's can help deal with that...of course one must always choose the ones of guranteed origin, and tested!
Besides currently and for some years now, using Tea Tree as main ingredients of my shampoo, i also still have a batch of a custom product bcapop ordered from Elsom, and guess what's on it (besides other valid ingrdients)...Lavender and Tea Tree oil :hump: !! So i don't have any problem in using it in a particular place, like my foreheads (but i don't want to mix it with my current regime, cause i want to come to conclusions and that would only complicate)...don't know... :roll:

I always like everyone to remember, that EVERY ingredient/component can have diferent reactions, when used by diferent people, and that's valid for "naturals" as for "chemicals" of course!

michael barry

Reaction score
goata,

Since I was already testing cedarwood on one side of my chin, I added some lavender to it...........................in another couple of months I should be able to render a verdict.

Funny thing is.......................lavender actually stimulated hair on my big toe at three months about two years back. Stimulating the estrogen receptor might have caused that. If anything, the oils were even more effective at stimulating the estrogen receptor than blocking the androgen receptor-----which is a good thing for head hair. We will see.....................I wish some private entity would test these things in human skin and post the results for us.

BTW-----------------they used a little more lavender and tea tree than flutamide (pm comaperd to mm If I remember right), but you have to keep in mind that these oils are many things as there are probably eight or nine components in each at least. Rosemary supposedly has something like 300 different chemicals in it. Probably only one component therein has the androgen receptor binding property. If this component could be extracted, it might be drop-to-drop every bit as potent as flutamide.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course, i have no doubt that they would be as powerfull...if we think about it, most (not totally of course) of the chemical research as always been oriented to mimic the efects of natural components, but in a more economical/viable way...no more than that...as long as well study and well oriented, "naturals" have for me a great advantage, wich is beeing efective in a more "progressive" (don't know how to express better) way, maybe not as fast or stronger in the begining as "chemicals", but in a medium/long term, as efective and with less bad side-effects..IMHO.
I decided to test the bcapop elsom topical, both in my beard and in my almost steril temples :) ...so i can have a more clear view of the results and not mesed with other topical i use now...of course i'll report when i come to any conclusion...the Tea Tree shampoo, i'm already using, the only thing is that i've changed to another product, cause in Portugal i don't have access to the Jason's and Faith in Nature ones, but i've found a Optima Austalian Tea Tree, wich is very similar to the Faith In Nature one, seems and FEELS very good...a blessing to the scalp (at least in my case). :)

helpme23

Reaction score
Like I said in the other thread guys I use lavender on my skin to treat acne. I do not dilute it, I use it pure as a kind of moisturiser on my neck and I have not experienced any side effects, I am currently applying rogaine foam to my temples and then emu oil about 5 mins after the foam, Do you think I should also apply lavender with the emu oil and see if I get any results?

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
helpme23 said:
Like I said in the other thread guys I use lavender on my skin to treat acne. I do not dilute it, I use it pure as a kind of moisturiser on my neck and I have not experienced any side effects, I am currently applying rogaine foam to my temples and then emu oil about 5 mins after the foam, Do you think I should also apply lavender with the emu oil and see if I get any results?

You use lanvender (essential) oil directly on your skin? isn't it tooo strong...from what i know you're not supposed to put any essential oil on your skin?

Btw, did you see any reduction in your beard (density or thickness) from using lavender oil on your face? reduction in oiliness, acne?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
goata007 said:
helpme23 said:

You use lanvender (essential) oil directly on your skin? isn't it tooo strong...from what i know you're not supposed to put any essential oil on your skin?

Btw, did you see any reduction in your beard (density or thickness) from using lavender oil on your face? reduction in oiliness, acne?

Lavender essential oil is one of very few essentials oils that it is possible use pure in the skin. Thyme or rosmarinus essential oil are very "strong" to use pure, They need a carriel oil.

Armando

Jon80

Reaction score
michael,
would you mind explaining how you make your cedarwood solution, and what strength it is? is it just the oil in purified water, or with ethanol too? thanks.

michael barry said:
Since I was already testing cedarwood on one side of my chin, I added some lavender to it...........................in another couple of months I should be able to render a verdict