Lasercombs? ALL experiences and opinions here pls!

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Lasercombs!

One of the very few hair loss therapies i've overlooked in my quest to stop my hair loss for the past 5-6 years! I always seen these things as a farse but now, looking at results for hairmax lasers etc, i see some people have had decent success with them. I suppose there is some technology to it, right?

Anyway, im a complete noob is this category. Can anyone enlighten? What combs are good, which aren't? What is one's best bet?

I've heard of guys building these themselves, anyone here?

As regards budget combs - here is one i keep seeing : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-POWER-G ... 56426bf647

Power grow. I wonder if this is any use whatsoever or a mere sham?

I'm eager to hear opinions on this area. Basically, ive got nowhere else to turn - finasteride isn't an option (nor did it help).

Jacob

Reaction score
You're probably better off looking into a helmet type one if you're going to go the LLLT route. It has to be a pain holding a fricken comb in one spot..then moving it a bit..then holding it again.......

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
the general consensus seems to be that much more coverage is needed.

a laser comb only has 9 (at the most, usually just one reflected to 9 positions) laser diodes. @ 5mw wavelength 650 nm

clinics that use lasers use the same diodes but generally use hoods with around 100 diodes all over scalp.

so as jacob said if u want to try it, find a helmet somewhere (google it) with 100 or more diodes. Its not as expensive as u think and its easy to make ur own believe it or not.

lasercombs havent had much success and wats worse is when the lasercomb doesnt work for someone they assume no lasers will work for them, but the reality is clinics use them and they can work for some. U just need more than 9

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
never heard anything good about the combs. i've heard once in the past that a helmet might do the trick but i didn't know they actually existed. but definitely wouldn't advise the comb, from the dozens of opinions i've heard.

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
If laser combs are effective, why are they? What's the theory behind their hypothetical success? I'm not being critical, just enquiring.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
cyberprimate said:
If laser combs are effective, why are they? What's the theory behind their hypothetical success? I'm not being critical, just enquiring.

The laser apparently nourishes the follicles thereby increasing local DHT metabolism in them and letting the follicles enjoy the more healthy things flow to the hair. That's the theory anyway.

I keep being told its easy to do. I'd love to buy one off someone who made a good one. Surprised nonone on here really has used them much.

I think alot of people never fully comitted to the lasers due to time and effort required.

s.a.f

Reaction score
As far as I know its a rip off, the modern version of the 80's 'head massagers'. I've only known about people who have gone to the Lazer clinics like AdvancedHairStudio and lost £1000's. Theres a reason why they dont give money back gaurantees.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
A lot of nonbelievers here but most of this is made up from people who never used lasers.

There's certainly a lack of enterprise on this forum in this respect. No sure why. You'll notice that over on HLH there's alot of laser users, albeit with varied results.

What i CAN conclude is that for a good chance of success you need the HELMET.

I've lined one up and will be investing. I'm getting it at a good price (its second hand) so it's worth a shot. It will carry some resale value, anyway. I'm not expecting miracle results but hoping for atleast a degree of maintainance.

Ultimately, at this point i've tried almost everything and my male pattern baldness is pretty intend on "finishing the job". I can live with that i guess but i can't live with not atleast trying. I now know finasteride doesn't work for me. In 12 months if i have to stike laser helmets off that list - so be it. I'd rather know i tried.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
finfighter said:
Mens Rea said:
Ultimately, at this point i've tried almost everything [/quote

Hey man if you want to try the helmet than go for it! I have never had much faith in LLT, but I understand that you start trying things that you wouldn't have otherwise when you have to quit finasteride. I can't take finasteride or minoxidil, so I understand where you're coming from.

But, I can think of a few things that have a lot better science behind them than LLT. Take a look at the link in my signature, read through the pages, there are other options that work! Me and a few others are throwing in on an order of CB-03-01 and Raw Bimatoprost. Read about them in the link and let me know if you're interested.

I'll have a look but ultimately i don't trust any anti-androgens anymore due to risk of sides.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
I understand that, but Bimatoprost is not an antiandrogen at all, and CB is not an antiandrogen systematically, it has been proven to break down into a neutral biological chemical, once it enters the blood stream, look at the clinical trials for it, in page 8 of the link in my signature.[/quote]

I also read that fluridil etc similarly "broke down" in the blood steam but yet people have had different experiences. My main issue is that any decent treatment requires life-time commitment. Applying something even semi-dangerous for a life-time isn't a smart idea.

I'll look into Bimatroprost, though. I'll monitor the CB progress as well.

Established Member
Reaction score
to add my 2 bits to this...

I have made a laser helmet. did it out of pure morbid curiosity and figured it wasn't a big ongoing investment if the thing did work (ad I like building sh*t).
Used an old bike helmet that I drilled holes into then constructed a helmet with about 200 diode lasers in it (looks pretty spaceballs cool to be honest.. but I do hide it in case of visitors as I'm sure their reaction would be pretty WTF!!).

results... well.... I obviously use my balls too much and create too much androgen activity.. as they have not exactly been noticeable. next to nothing is without sides for me though...
used the helmet for 6 months a min of 4 times per week.

One thing I will give it though... it definitely helps when I feel that scalp/ hair-loss itch on my head .. put the helmet on and get almost immediate itch relief as if it creates immediate healing.

re-growth... hmm ... skeptical... but I still use it to keep the itch under control... which is the one thing that drives me insane the most. Not the hairloss... the constant farking itch!

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Insightful.

I too don't expect huge results but even marginal maintainance/ scalp health, is better than nothing. Anything else is a bonus. I do belive some people will get somewhat decent results from laser usage.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Ok i got my helmet no Monday there (14th). I've to use it every day for the first two weeks.

Three days already, and almost all my hair has grown back!!

Nah, really though, it seems like a good job. Very well constructed, im glad im giving it a try.

Will post up any progress ill use it for a year and see how it goes!

Established Member
Reaction score
MR -
good luck mate..
am not sure it'll be your hair loss saviour... but as I said.. I believe it has some health benefits for the hair.. and I know that for me, it definitely reduces scalp inflammation as soon as I start using it...
Problem is you can't run around with it on your head the whole time.... (and that is not recommended either).
will have to try remember to post a pic of the zany old helmet I crafted up... sci-fi..
keep fighting the good fight

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a new premium hairmax laser comb about 6 weeks ago.

My breakdown so far from using it twice a day has been

- The lasers clearly stimulate blood circulation instantly on contact.
- My comb has around 12 lasers I think (not quite sure).
- There doesn't appear to be any side effects from using it.
- The more lasers you have, the faster you can get done.

Do I think it is a scam?
No. It does circulate the blood.

Does it regrow your hair?
Possibly, but it is pure speculation.

I didn't expect this to be a miracle solution, but I wanted something other than the standard comb I am using. Unfortunately, the only flaw with using it when combing your hair is that the laser can reflect off the mirror and hurt your eyes and at the same time the comb is really not that good for actually combing your hair.

Without any side effects though, there really is no harm in trying to use this.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Cool.

I'm a number of weeks into things now. No changes yet maybe slightly less shedding but probably not even.

Dont think it's gonna stop me for being a big baldy head! Not on it's own anyway!!!

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
Cool.

I'm a number of weeks into things now. No changes yet maybe slightly less shedding but probably not even.

Dont think it's gonna stop me for being a big baldy head! Not on it's own anyway!!!

My true reason I bought this is that almost any type of circulation of blood in your body is good. Even though the tests may have been fabricated online to trick people in believing this is all you need, I still see it as doing something that can help stop shedding even if it is very little.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
smitysmity said:
Mens Rea said:
Cool.

My true reason I bought this is that almost any type of circulation of blood in your body is good. Even though the tests may have been fabricated online to trick people in believing this is all you need, I still see it as doing something that can help stop shedding even if it is very little.

Yeah

I dunno though. With my helmet the lasers are just like red lights. I kinda wonder if its doing anything whatsoever. LOL.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
smitysmity said:
[quote="Mens Rea":19kdfbwe]Cool.

Yeah

I dunno though. With my helmet the lasers are just like red lights. I kinda wonder if its doing anything whatsoever. LOL.[/quote:19kdfbwe]

The laser presses against your skin which is what causes the blood to move. The laser definitely helps at that but you shouldn't really expect more with a laser helmet or comb so it's not one of those items that you buy and think it can replace the actual topical solutions.