Laser Cap Purchase - Hairmax, Kiierr or Illumiflow

Will44

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have spent the last several weeks researching laser caps and still cannot decide on which one to purchase. Of all the caps I researched, the three that looked the best to me and cost under $2,000 are the Hairmax Powerflex 272 (cost $1,650 with coupon), Kiierr 272 (cost $800) and Illumiflow 272 (cost $800). Has anyone purchased any of these laser caps? The Hairmax looks more comfortable to wear then the other two devices and has medical grade lasers, but cost double the price. Also, Hairmax has been around for a long time compared to Kiierr and Illumiflow. The reviews for each device are 4 out of 5. I am skepticle if these reviews are legitimate and do not want to buy the wrong product.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I purchased the Hairmax Powerflex a month and a half ago. It is now gathering dust at customs thanks to Brexit. :confused:

I decided on the Hairmax because of the flexbile cap, which I find innovative and looks very comfortable and will probably fit my head better than the helmets. But the Illumiflfow also looks decent, and does the Kiierr 272 have only laser diodes or does it also contain LEDs?
I’ve used Hairmax devices before and no complaints.

Will44

My Regimen
Reaction score
The Kiierr only has laser diodes and is very similar to the Illumiflow cap.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t think there will be a lot of difference between these three to be honest .. 272 laser diodes is how it should be.

Will44

My Regimen
Reaction score
All three are very similar. I know Hairmax also has a cheaper version of their hat called Regrow MD that also has 272 laser diodes and cost $800. The main difference between these caps is the HairMax PowerFlex LaserCap uses lasers with +/- 1% accuracy medical grade lasers, and the Regrow cap uses standard commercial lasers with +/- 15% accuracy. Kiier and illumiflow use medical grade laser diodes, but do not specify what the accuracy percentage is. I also want to add that I am not sure what accuracy percentage is required for a laser to be considered medical grade.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct me if you think otherwise but I don’t see how any of them would matter if the lasers aren’t hitting the skin and instead getting blocked by hair. Why not the laser band 82 or whatever it’s called? At least it parts the hair for the laser light to reach the skin.

Will44

My Regimen
Reaction score
I decided the purchase HairMax PowerFlex LaserCap. I have diffuse thinning, so I think it will work better for me then some of the other devices. I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Will44

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard lots of positive stuff about these laser devices. We will see if it is a Snakeoil device. If it does not work for me in one year I can return it and get 75% of my money back.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
By what process is laser supposed to improve hair? I bought a laser comb for $300 about 7 years ago and it seemed to do a whole lot of nothing. It didn't even have teeth or bristles so it was hardly any sort of comb. It's up in my closet somewhere. This especially but also PRP are two things I would be wary of, even if you have the bucks to spend.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A laser comb will not do much, a laser helmet offers a longer treatment time.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
A laser comb will not do much, a laser helmet offers a longer treatment time.

I don't deny that but I have seen several people post that they only did laser treatment after their providers pushed them into it as it is apparently quite profitable. Several of these folks were essentially of the opinion that this treatment is a scam but I haven't used it or researched. My feelings are though that any benefits are likely to be minimal plus how will you tell if you are on finasteride and Min at the same time. So I definitely wouldn't advise it at the same beginning time with Min/finasteride. Maybe later if a person has the bucks and hair growth has stalled, then it could be evaluated fairly but I have seen no person allege any sort of cosmetically significant regrowth and in general, perhaps with the exception of oral min, male treatments only provide maintenance while growing at best peach fuzz.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't deny that but I have seen several people post that they only did laser treatment after their providers pushed them into it as it is apparently quite profitable. Several of these folks were essentially of the opinion that this treatment is a scam but I haven't used it or researched. My feelings are though that any benefits are likely to be minimal plus how will you tell if you are on finasteride and Min at the same time. So I definitely wouldn't advise it at the same beginning time with Min/finasteride. Maybe later if a person has the bucks and hair growth has stalled, then it could be evaluated fairly but I have seen no person allege any sort of cosmetically significant regrowth and in general, perhaps with the exception of oral min, male treatments only provide maintenance while growing at best peach fuzz.
No I am sure it’s not a scam. I have used laser therapy for years, and have had results from it. But I do not recommend it to other people because it so expensive, and I also know that a lot of people don’t see results from it, for whatever reason. If you have diffuse thinning, it can make your hair healthier, thicker, and you can get some degree of regrowth. I was on minoxidil/laser therapy for years, but sometimes I went without laser therapy for months (laziness, or broken device), and I always noticed the difference. Laser therapy, like microneedling, works better if you don’t use it as a standalone treatment. I also think minoxidil/microneedling works better than minoxidil/LLLT.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No I am sure it’s not a scam. I have used laser therapy for years, and have had results from it. But I do not recommend it to other people because it so expensive, and I also know that a lot of people don’t see results from it, for whatever reason. If you have diffuse thinning, it can make your hair healthier, thicker, and you can get some degree of regrowth. I was on minoxidil/laser therapy for years, but sometimes I went without laser therapy for months (laziness, or broken device), and I always noticed the difference. Laser therapy, like microneedling, works better if you don’t use it as a standalone treatment. I also think minoxidil/microneedling works better than minoxidil/LLLT.
Yeah. I was just providing hearsay accounts, as we say in law. PRP results seem to be similarly controversial and it too is expensive.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. I was just providing hearsay accounts, as we say in law. PRP results seem to be similarly controversial and it too is expensive.
I would not try PRP, the results are too controversial indeed.

whitecoatblackhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Putting the argument of whether or not LLLT helmets work to the side, most (if not all) of these branded helmets are optimised for business and profit margins. They are not optimised for effectiveness.

Meaning, they have a few LLLs and the rest is LEDs which are indistinguishable from the LLLs, hence the scam.

Unless you are an electrician yourself and you can take the helmet apart and verify that all of the lasers in the helmet are actual lasers and not just LEDs, then you'll never know if what you purchased is legit or not.

There's this guy online who creates bespoke LLLT helmets from scratch and actually puts the most high-quality lasers on the market.

You can choose yourself the number of lasers and how you want them positioned.

The helmets are quite expensive but they're your best bet when it comes to LLLT.

Not sure what the policies of this forum are and whether or not I can share his website.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing about laser that gives me pause--and maybe I have missed it since I bought my laser comb--is that there is no articulation as to how it works. Is it melting accumulated sebum, or what exactly does it do to make the hair growth environment more conducive to renewed hair growth?

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing about laser that gives me pause--and maybe I have missed it since I bought my laser comb--is that there is no articulation as to how it works. Is it melting accumulated sebum, or what exactly does it do to make the hair growth environment more conducive to renewed hair growth?
There are some explanations in the links I posted. Increased ATP production, activation of wnt/beta catenin pathway..

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score

Been doing LLLT for 2 years, and it’s done a good job with maintaining my existing hair with slight regrowth

I think the key to it, is to use a high powered helmet which off the rack devices are not