Lactate, Possibly A Cheap Simple Addition To Improve Results

dietcoke1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is the study.
https://stemcell.ucla.edu/news/ucla-scientists-identify-new-way-activate-stem-cells-make-hair-grow

Thought this is relevant to bring up for discussion. Lactic acid topically is clearly out of the question. Sodium lactate is a fairly common cosmetic additive that is ph neutral and acts like glycerin to increase hydration of the area and apparently the skin already makes it and can break it down to lactate. So essentially sodium lactate could provide a slow release fuel of lactate throughout the day and night to encourage more hair stem cell proliferation while improving the condition of the scalp at the same time by hydrating it. I assume soduim lactate would be the best choice but maybe there is a better option? This seems like a very low risk thing to try with potential benefit at the very least of a better hydrated scalp with maybe less irritation because of it. Usage rate is commonly around 1-5%, a person could easily just add that to an existing topical. Incorporation is easy too, no special solvents or anything needed. It's like 4 dollars for the crystals on lotioncrafter.com

Last edited:

dietcoke1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was really hoping this was going to be a breast milk thread. With pics.
Oh god, that never even cross my mind. Now that's all I'm gonna see haha. It was actually a fluke I even came across the study, I was looking up how to formulate a toner with lactic acid in it.

dietcoke1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
So do you guys think Sodium Lactate is the best chemical choice? Also to use around the standard 1-5% commonly used for it's humectant properties or to actually increase that amount further? I think the post got lost because of when I chose to post it lol.

vlados

My Regimen
Reaction score
On that article they talk about using some substances which increases lactate in the cell. Don't you think that if simply applying lactate(eg sodium lactate) to the skin would work, they would have mentioned it ?

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This forum goes around in circles..
Just use the research function, not that difficult.
There is already a thread with 20+ pages about that, where Lactate is tested and discussed
"BaldBaldyBalder" is the name of the member if I remember well.

Guess what? It didn't work.

dietcoke1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
This forum goes around in circles..
Just use the research function, not that difficult.
There is already a thread with 20+ pages about that, where Lactate is tested and discussed
"BaldBaldyBalder" is the name of the member if I remember well.

Guess what? It didn't work.

I just went through a year and a half of posts. There are like 2-3 specific threads and they only have 2-3 pages each. Out of all the posts on lactate there was only one person Mage, who said they were even going to try anything and it was sodium lactate and he never said how he was using nor any other treatments he was using with it if any nor did he give an update. He posted after saying it wasn't long enough and he would update at a later date to which he stopped being active on the forum. So I think this is still a relevant thread. The point of the topical sodium lactate was not full replication of the study for best possible HFSC activation but an easy to use/get/low risk addition to other treatments. Also to discuss if sodium lactate indeed would be the best topical substance and what concentration would be best.

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just went through a year and a half of posts. There are like 2-3 specific threads and they only have 2-3 pages each. Out of all the posts on lactate there was only one person Mage, who said they were even going to try anything and it was sodium lactate and he never said how he was using nor any other treatments he was using with it if any nor did he give an update. He posted after saying it wasn't long enough and he would update at a later date to which he stopped being active on the forum. So I think this is still a relevant thread. The point of the topical sodium lactate was not full replication of the study for best possible HFSC activation but an easy to use/get/low risk addition to other treatments. Also to discuss if sodium lactate indeed would be the best topical substance and what concentration would be best.

Wtf, there was like a 10+ pages bout it, by a belgium member.
Where did it go ? Amazing.