lack of sleep and hair loss

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, Ernie was a famous poster with the theory that body hair steal nutrients to scalp hair.....
Androgens, without doubt play a important key in hairloss but before the effect ofandrogens, exist some process that predispose certains hairs to loose.
OTOH there is problems to solve with androgens, the antagonism between body and scalp hair or the different incidence in women/men when the important androgens are produced in the same pilosebaceous unit.

resu

Reaction score
I thought about that too early on because I only experienced hair loss when more body hair started growing everywhere in my mid 20's, up until that point I didn't even have chest hair. It was like the body could only produce so much hair and some had to go, of course it isn't exactly like that.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think genetics determines the receptors locations on all the different hairs and that as just a very simplified version is kind of what controls how fast or slow someone hair loss is along with of course androgen levels. So which hairs miniaturize is controlled by genetics which determine how many receptors and how they interact with the androgens which is where the sensitivity each hair has to them comes from. My opinion is people are over complicating the androgen step of male pattern baldness with tons of whacky theories to account for things which have simpler explanations.
Of course like in 8th grade we are told each atom has 8 still electrons, as you get older you realize they are actually probability clouds that move. These diseases are like that where it just gets more complex depending on how deep you want to go. DHT is just one tiny piece of it.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
abcdefg, do you think that genetics determines different hairs over the scalp? what Common Sense dictates at this aspect?

I am with you: "people are over complicating the androgen step of male pattern baldness with tons of whacky theories to account for things which have simpler explanations."

abcdefg

Reaction score
Well my personal opinion is the sensitivity of each hair is determined by genetics for hairs that are susceptible in the normal male pattern baldness pattern maybe with receptor layouts in scalp, but I think hairs can change their sensitivity to androgens over time such as developing more receptors or the existing receptors bind more strongly to left over androgens if say you took finasteride. I also think testosterone can miniaturize hair and if you lower DHT then T can take over in continuing the male pattern baldness process. I think upregulation or the receptors adapting to the remaining androgens does happen its just not completely understood yet why this is. The same thing seems to happen with prostate cancer so I think researchers are aware of this and its kind of the same problem they are trying to tackle. Just my opinion I dont know all current research on this

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks abcdefg,....

I am with you "I think hairs can change their sensitivity to androgens over time"
but, I think that healthy scalp hairs are determined equally at first
I don´t think in the normal and genetic male pattern baldness pattern, I think that exist something, not genetic, that predisposse to certains hairs to be "more" sensitivity to androgens.

On the other hand, do you know if pilosebaceous units in scalp healthy hairs make androgens years before puberty?
Or in other words, do you think that prepubertal children have sebum in scalp hairs?

Thanks for your patience and willingness

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks abcdefg,....

I am with you "I think hairs can change their sensitivity to androgens over time"
but, I think that healthy scalp hairs are determined equally at first
I don´t think in the normal and genetic male pattern baldness pattern, I think that exist something, not genetic, that predisposse to certains hairs to be "more" sensitivity to androgens.

On the other hand, do you know if pilosebaceous units in scalp healthy hairs make androgens years before puberty?
Or in other words, do you think that prepubertal children have sebum in scalp hairs?

Thanks for your patience and willingness

Dr. Kligman’s probe that exist sebum in hair scalp in childrens, years before puberty.

INHIBITION OF KERATIN FORMATION WITH UNSATURATED COMPOUNDS *
PETER FLESCII, M.D., Pa.D.

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v19/n5/pdf/jid1952109a.pdf

The author is greatly indebted to Dr. Donald M. Pillsbury for his constant interest and
encouragement in this work; to Dr. Raymond R. Suskind and the Procter and Gamble
company for their generous gift of samples of skin lipids extracted from T-Shirts; to Dr.
Stephen Rothman for a sample of a hair fat fraction; to Dr. Albert M. Kligman for the children's sebum

This fact put the actual androgenetic theory of hairloss questionable