kc444's story (24/advanced diffuse) 4 month update

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
MONTH 4 UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE

Hello,
I'm 24, going on 25. I wasn't going to post my story, but I think I owe it to this forum because these stories are what made me finally decide to go on treatments. I never went on anything consistently before this because I was afraid of finasteride's side effects and didn't feel it was worth trying anything else without finasteride. I started noticing shedding in the shower at 16-17 and it went downhill from there. I thought I would just accept losing all of my hair, but then I realized that it was getting really depressing waking up every day only to have less hair. I wish I started treating it sooner, but oh well.

Treatments:
1mg finasteride daily
2mL/full cap of minoxidil (foam in the morning, liquid at night)
Nizoral 1% every other day
3000mcg Biotin (started a week ago)

I put 2.5-3 months into the title because I started finasteride on 1/1/2012 and minoxidil on 1/16/2012. Since minoxidil typically shows its effects sooner, I assume that most of the effect that I've seen so far has been due to that. I began using Nizoral on 1/26/2012. I started taking Biotin because the new hairs growing in are mostly still about 1/5 of the length of my normal hair and I hope to grow it out long enough to get it cut again around this time next month so that they are equal length. I may add MSM soon. I think this will show an even greater improvement, so expect more pics in a month or so.

As far as side effects... from finasteride, I thought that I was getting a bit of gyno, so I began taking .25mg of Arimidex every other day. I've always had a little bit of gyno from puberty. It may have been because I began eating more than usual and gaining weight, so I may go off of it soon to see how that works out because I started losing weight again. Pretty sure it was the finasteride though. My sex drive was bad before and it's still about the same. Arimidex may have helped a bit. Semen quality is fine.

When I started, I could rub my hand across my head in certain spots and feel my smooth scalp. About a month ago, I realized that it was no longer smooth.. there was hair growing there. I also noticed a lot of new hairs coming in in the frontal region, which is the only area I can really inspect closely in the mirror. As you can see in the pictures, my hair line was not that bad relative to the diffuse thinning before I started, but there is a lot of new hair growing there, which is nice. Along the hair line is where its been most effective apparently, looking at the pictures.

I tried to get pictures that are as representative as possible, hopefully in similar lighting and angles. Hair length should be the same. When I took them today, I wasn't expecting that much honestly, but I was pleasantly surprised and apparently didn't realize how bad it is was before. Both pictures were taken after a shower after towel drying my hair completely.

And now.. the moment you've all been waiting for. Pictures on the left were taken right after started Propecia and the right, today. I didn't take any pictures of the vertex because I didn't want to look at it, but I don't think its any worse than the rest of my head.

73874719.jpg

74705514.jpg

54788878.jpg

52282261.jpg

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: kc444's story (24/advanced diffuse) 2.5-3 month pics

definite improvement.... you're a good responder to finasteride. Too bad that you didn't start treating it earlier...

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score

Still seeing improvements I think. It's hard to tell by looking in the mirror. One question. I've seen others talking talk about losing hair from their sideburn area (around the ears). I definitely have this. Has anyone noticed regrowth in this area on Propecia? Should I apply minoxidil to it?

Also, part of the reason I didn't go on it earlier was because I'd always see people on other websites saying things like, "Propecia will only maintain the hair the have. You need a transplant to get more hair." I've since realized that they were just promoting hair transplant doctors. It's a shame these sites exist.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score

Well, the MSM/Biotin has been making my hair grow really quickly so I was going to wait until I got a haircut this week to post again, but I got bored today and the results are pretty astounding so far.

Month 4 on finasteride, 3.5 on minoxidil

48177937.jpg

61308550.jpg

No scalp showing by month 6?

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the support :)

Here are some more post haircut pictures (god it looked terrible before)

77856719.jpg

86735627.jpg

Overall, it's worked much better than I thought it would.

cuebald

Reaction score
damn. have you tried concealers like toppik? with a bit of that in you could probably look like a thick NW1 with no loss, especially with all of that good regrowth you have had

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I've looked into it, but I think I'd be worried about missing a spot one day or running out, etc. We'll see where I'm at in a couple of months.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to renew my driver's license today and there is such a huge difference. I had to post it. What makes it so shocking is that I was exactly FOUR years younger in the picture on the left and never started on any hair loss medications until five months ago. The reason it looked like I had a badly receding hair line in the one on the left is because the hair was so fine that it didn't show up in the picture.

Attachments

• drivers.jpg
    drivers.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 511

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
Holy sh*t dude. We're twins.

Did you start using minoxidil and finasteride at the same time?

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
KO1 said:
Holy sh*t dude. We're twins.

Did you start using minoxidil and finasteride at the same time?

I started minoxidil about two weeks after, so yeah basically.

I haven't been taking Biotin/MSM consistently so my hair hasn't really grown out enough for a haircut, but I'll post month ~5 updates in a couple of weeks.

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
Out of curisotiy why did you wait till now to take meds? Your loss does not seem recent, did u experiment with meds earlier?

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I took Accutane as a teenager and had really bad side effects. I was turned off of finasteride for that reason and I didn't think it was worth it to use other stuff without finasteride. I did try minoxidil when I was 18 or so but I wasn't consistent because it made my hair so greasy.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know. It looked great pre-haircut but post-haircut, it doesn't seem to look as dense as last month. The person who cut it did a very poor job this time though, so that may be it. You can tell that the hair is longer in some areas because there is an overlap. My head looks like a staircase. It may also be that my hair has gotten a lot thicker, so less minoxidil is reaching the scalp. I'm inclined to think that it's the haircut though. I'll get pics up soon.

andersonlynch

Established Member
Reaction score
you should try other treatment for that hair loss.