Just Shaving It--what Are Your Thoughts?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have always loved my hair, it was always kept long and I got a lot of compliments and it has always been an emotional, along with the physical, part of me. But I am starting to wonder if shaving it and confirming I look good might be better. Then I can take some steroids/Testosterone to bulk up (with supports), get a good spray tan and grow my facial hair and then look extremely sexy. My fear is the unknown. If I go down that rabbit hole then there is no going back. The hair is gone. It seems to beat using an antiandrogen for life, Minoxidil, possibly needing to use other things later, pay 10k for a hair transplant, etc.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where are you on Norwood scale? Also, what percentage of your hair do you guess you've lost?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where are you on Norwood scale? Also, what percentage of your hair do you guess you've lost?

I am not bad off yet. It is not noticeable when my hair is long. Maybe I am a Norwood 2.5. It is definitely salvageable. I just think it would also be nice to not have to worry.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some peoples direction of hair growth and head shape determines what hairstyle would look best on them. My advice to you is don't shave your head to see if you can accept a more bald look later. Enjoy what you have now and cross that other bridge when you get to it. I would kill for a N2.5 now and when I was when age 25-30, it had zero impact on my social life. Also, and I have experience in this, do not take steroids or testosterone for body building. I can't emphasize this enough.

On the other hand, if you just want to try out the shaved look for fun, at least it will grow back to your 2.5. Chill out man, go pump some iron. ;)

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have always loved my hair, it was always kept long and I got a lot of compliments and it has always been an emotional, along with the physical, part of me. But I am starting to wonder if shaving it and confirming I look good might be better. Then I can take some steroids/Testosterone to bulk up (with supports), get a good spray tan and grow my facial hair and then look extremely sexy. My fear is the unknown. If I go down that rabbit hole then there is no going back. The hair is gone. It seems to beat using an antiandrogen for life, Minoxidil, possibly needing to use other things later, pay 10k for a hair transplant, etc.

I doubt you will look better bald + muscles. I did that mistake. Keep up with finas+minoxidil..if your baldness is not aggressive you will be able to hold your nw2,5.
Enjor your life!

Chromedome1990

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About 1 in 100 guys can really pull it off. I shaved it all once when I was 21, and I looked absolutely terrible with it. If you really want motivation to fight for your hair, try visiting Slybaldguys.com and look at some of the delusional guys there.

Capture.PNG

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Just shaving it would be brilliant if it actually worked. It doesn't. You won't get anywhere in life without hair even if you look good with a shaved head. But NW2.5 you can go with anything. You have hair. I'm talking about somebody with aggressive crown loss and lack of a hairline.

My recommendation is to keep the combover as long as possible. Use concealers if necessary. Seriously you sometimes see a combover guy doing fine in life but it's very rare to see a bald (even bald and shaved guy) doing well or looking happy.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
£10k for a transplant? No way. Half that in Turkey and you’ll find exceptional results.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Just shaving it would be brilliant if it actually worked. It doesn't. You won't get anywhere in life without hair even if you look good with a shaved head. But NW2.5 you can go with anything. You have hair. I'm talking about somebody with aggressive crown loss and lack of a hairline.

My recommendation is to keep the combover as long as possible. Use concealers if necessary. Seriously you sometimes see a combover guy doing fine in life but it's very rare to see a bald (even bald and shaved guy) doing well or looking happy.

given, being bald does hinder you in some aspects of life. But lets be realistic, you cant blame being bald for all your shortcomings in life lol

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score

I think that is pretty harsh. I do not think people judge bald guys if they OWN it.

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

incredulous.gif

Have you ever been outside your house? I guess guys like Jeff Bezos, Patrick Stewart and Bruce Willis never got your memo.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
incredulous.gif

Have you ever been outside your house? I guess guys like Jeff Bezos, Patrick Stewart and Bruce Willis never got your memo.

For me, the purpose of life is not money and material success, but love, family and belonging. I.e. giving and receiving love to/from others in your life, raising or having a family and feeling needed or important in some capacity. The latter 3 are not possible if you're bald and young because you won't be able to marry and have kids. I don't know what it's like to be bald and over 30; I may find out one day. I also don't know how Patrick Stewart did it. But it seems like you'd advise a young bald guy to forego traditional education and careers in order to become a massive success like the three of these. A bald guy working a regular job like lawyer, banker, consultant, engineer etc. is not going to have a chance in this day and age. This is what my experiences indicate but I'd be happy for somebody to give me an example of me being wrong.

I think that is pretty harsh. I do not think people judge bald guys if they OWN it.

They won't judge him, but he will be ostracized and will 'feel' every day of life as a bald man. Once again, this is what my experiences indicate; I could be wrong.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i never had problems in my career with males, or with friends as a bald guy, but women is where the problems come in.
my face doesn't suit the shaved look, so girls went from staring and flirting with me to just ignoring me and being chatty and flirty with my handsome friends.
and at work the girls give me less respect / less leway when something goes wrong, especially the middle aged women. they are a lot more criticial towards a bald guy.

i work in a school and the young female pupils were always well behaved and they listened to me and smiled at me etc when i had my NW1 long black wavy hair. they would almost see me as one of them and chat about music etc. now i am bald they mess around and treat me like any other 40+ year old, old man teacher.

i am quite short, 5'8" so getting buff will just make me look short and stocky. getting tats and growing a goatee will just be comical making me look like a try hard.

basically saving for a hair transplant. i am lucky in a sense in that i actually am getting a bit of regrowth now on finasteride (i was never slick bald just very sparse)

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i never had problems in my career with males, or with friends as a bald guy, but women is where the problems come in.
my face doesn't suit the shaved look, so girls went from staring and flirting with me to just ignoring me and being chatty and flirty with my handsome friends.
and at work the girls give me less respect / less leway when something goes wrong, especially the middle aged women. they are a lot more criticial towards a bald guy.

i work in a school and the young female pupils were always well behaved and they listened to me and smiled at me etc when i had my NW1 long black wavy hair. they would almost see me as one of them and chat about music etc. now i am bald they mess around and treat me like any other 40+ year old, old man teacher.

i am quite short, 5'8" so getting buff will just make me look short and stocky. getting tats and growing a goatee will just be comical making me look like a try hard.

basically saving for a hair transplant. i am lucky in a sense in that i actually am getting a bit of regrowth now on finasteride (i was never slick bald just very sparse)
well by ur description it was like u went from nw1 thick to slick bald in a year, which seems not to be the case with both time span and recession depth

doubleindemnity

Reaction score

Have you checked that you are a good candidate for a hair transplant? I recently heard from a few world renowned hair transplant practitioners that I am not a good candidate. I had saved up and had dreams of improving my life and actually being happy. Now I don't know what to do.