Just got a haircut - story

VWdude

Reaction score
So I went in for my haircut as usual...I found out that the lady I have been going to for years sold the business... I was reluctant at first to have this new lady cut my hair but I went for it...I told her exactly what I wanted and it turned out great.

Just as I am about to get up from the barbers chair and grab my hat after the haircut the hairdresser says "You shouldn't wear that hat too much, you need to let your scalp breath"... And I was like...okay, I didn't feel like I had to justify myself, so I said nothing..

Was that a indirect attempt from her to miraculously cure my male pattern baldness by telling me not to wear a hat from time to time? Cuz if it was...that was the worst advice i've ever heard.

Funny, she told me she was in this field for 25 + years, yet she says something like tat.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
it's an urban myth that hats cause hairloss. I've heard it before and read a statement from a doctor that totally threw that theory out the window. Yet still I wonder...

VWdude

Reaction score
Bash said:
it's an urban myth that hats cause hairloss. I've heard it before and read a statement from a doctor that totally threw that theory out the window. Yet still I wonder...

I still wonder sometimes too, but at the same time it's kind of hard to believe... everyone knows where male pattern baldness comes from. I think of it just like another excuse to say you don't have inherited male pattern baldness...

People often look at things in their life and are quick to come to conclusions of what MAY be causing it, instead of knowing the facts.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
as a guy whos been wearing a cap at least 10-12 hours every other day since the last 4-5 years...i can tell you if it doesnt cause male pattern baldness it doesnt make things better either. longterm usage definitely seems to change the texture of your hair. and i was wondering, would wearing a cap so long also hinder growth? i'm talking about P-caps here, or baseball caps rather.. if its pressing around your head for that long a duration wouldnt it cause your hair to grow slightly slower than it should?...

another very weird thing in my case... if i'm out and i feel an itch and a bruised sensation, the second i take the cap off it goes away...probably because the cap is putting pressure on the spot i guess which would explain the burning sensation, but why would the itch go away?... i itch HALF as much on days when i dont wear a cap.

Z

Established Member
Reaction score
Scalps don't breathe.

The only a hat can cause hairloss is if it is so tight that it regularly pulls the hair over time and causes traction alopecia. Which is very unlikely.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Z said:
Scalps don't breathe.

The only a hat can cause hairloss is if it is so tight that it regularly pulls the hair over time and causes traction alopecia. Which is very unlikely.

Yea but your skin does........scalp is skin

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
lol maybe you were just emitting a foul oudor from your head!

Did u ever think of that?? :lol:

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe she was just proud of her work, and was trying to say you look good and don't need to cover it up?

jeffsss

Reaction score
well, i think scalps do need fresh air.. i dont think that a hat is going to really have much effect..

but think of when you get a cast off or soemthing how rough the skin is...

VWdude

Reaction score
I adjust my hat accordingly so there is a decent gap between the inside of the hat and my scalp/hair... it really only makes contact on the forhead (but does not interfere with the hair/scalp), and around the sides and back of course. If I do get an itch, its either the sides/back... so I would like to think wearing a hat does F all.

I don't know why she said what she said... maybe she believes the old wives tale.

powersam

Reaction score
if it was made out of rubber or latex and airtight maybe. or if it increased the temp of your head by a lot maybe. its been said before that the head is the bodies heatsink. though you'd think the wrists, neck and ankles would do that a bit better.

wearing a hat all the time might hinder your acceptance of where you're at hairwise though. its something we're all going to have to deal with. on the haircut side of things it does pay to pay. ive been going to the best i could find and he's always managed to make my hair look far thicker than it is. i even look forward to haircuts now, as the look of my hair does get worse around week 5 or 6. i used to dread haircuts because everyone would see me with wet hair.

brevardo

Reaction score
I would take her advise. She sounds like she has been around for awhile so I'm sure that she's not stupid. She wasn't directly telling you that the cap is going to cause your hair loss but she probably was smart enough to notice that you had androgenetic alopecia and she probably knows that baseball caps aren't for people with androgenetic alopecia as our hair is weak and weak hairs are more susceptible of falling out more often then strong hair. And she's absolutely right when she tells you that your scalp needs to breath. The top of your head exhurts body heat. Haven't you ever been told to wear a hat when it's freezing cold out? That's because the hat will help keep body heat from exiting thru the top of your head and will keep you warm. Even when it's not cold out if you're working up a sweat and your body heat is high and you are wearing a cap you will start to develop bacteria which is wear that itching comes from. Believe me, I know from experience and I can guarantee you that if I had been wearing a hat regulary over the past 10 years that I would be a Norwood 4-5 instead of a norwood 1.5.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
haha. I wouldnt be worried if you wear a hat a lot....its not going to make your hair fall out faster/make your hair break off. If anything the hat is protecting the top of your head from getting sunburnt. I dont see how wearing a hat is negative in any way to male pattern baldness.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If wearing hats cost hairloss then you would see Major League Baseball players like Johnny Damon, Alex Rodriguez, David Wright, Chase Utley Etc. looking like Stone Cold Steve Austin. These guys have been wearing hats since probably 5 years old and they are 25-35+ years old and have a full head of hair. Yeah you can say they have so much money they can afford very nice Hair Transplants. But I have friends who wear hats every single day and they have a full head of hair.

I asked my doctor about this once, he said if hats caused hair loss then we would also have no armpit hair or crotch hair because you're always covering your armpit hair with your arms and you're always covering your crotch hair with boxers and pants.

Hats don't cause hair loss at all. If you're going bald then blame your dad or who ever you genetically go tit from, don't blame it on a hat and don't let anyone convince you that it's from wearing hats.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
i highly doubt wearing a baseball cap will have ANY affect on your hairs growth.

my hair on my *** will regrow if i shaved it, and that doesnt exactly see the light of day (very often).

Kyuu

Reaction score
I've done test on various things and I can say to a very small degree a ball cap can hinder your hair. It depends if they actually move it around alot, and how tight it is.

You can actually tell by looking at some men on what side they sleep on at night.

I did the test because I was thinning really bad in the temple area on one side. My other temple was alright, I'd sleep on it some so it was a bit thinned, nothing compared to the other side. At the time I didn't know if it was just the cause of genes or it was something I could correct.

I noticed when waking up in the morning (because I sleep on my side) that my hair was a mess there. I decided to do a test where I'd get a thin pillow and fold it so my temple area wouldn't come in contact with the pillow when sleeping at night. 2 years later I have almost all my hair back on my temples just by changing the way I sleep.

Another example is the watch on your hand, the location where my watch sits has removed and thinned the hair there.

I think I have sensitive hair, but I think the factors are maybe the degree of friction on the area over extended periods of time and the force applied. Over time I believe it will weaken your hair, but everyones different.

I'm going to include this in my story but I'm hoping not to make it to long.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Wearing a hat does not cause hair loss.

The best example that supports this is professional baseball players. They wear a hat or a helmet for a good portion of the day during the regular season. Several hours during a game, batting practice and warm-ups before a game and also during morning workouts.

Yet, you are able to find players who have great hair. Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter are two examples.

The wearing of a hat as being a cause of hair loss is one of the more popular hair loss myths out there.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
if you shave your head the more you relax follicles the more growth or a visble good growth .just try it i have defended it from shaving past from 5 years but it wont help you to surpass internal dht but you can wipe out dht from your scalp.