Jumped the gun and took my first pill

Obsidian

Reaction score
Should I expect the shed about a month from now?

barcafan

Reaction score
Not if you dont expect it. Bryan thinks shedding is a myth, and so does dr proctor (according to him)

Felk

Reaction score
Finasteride could cause an initial shed, but as far as I know there is no evidence for it

zxAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
I never shed on finasteride. I just grew tons of thick shiny lovely hair. Pity finasteride made me critcially ill and I had to stop and go through the 'mother of all sheds'... :thumbdown2:

zxAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
philly said:
The loss of hair after quitting finasteride is not a shed my friend but a loss of hair due to DHT hormonal stimulation.

Yes, I suppose so. Strictly a shed would be hair kicked out by new folicles stimulated into growth? Coming off finasteride a just saw lots of healthy looking terminal hairs falling out left right and centre. Now, most of these seem to be growing back in given the volume of my hair is improving again - and thats expected right? Its not like the folicle which had been producing thick terminal hairs suddenly shuts down as soon as finasteride is stopped?

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
Finasteride could cause an initial shed, but as far as I know there is no evidence for it

How about the fact that people experience sheds on finasteride? Myself included. There are threads about this subject alone.

zxAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Must be some other hormonal change that hair follicles are sensitive too......and it must be individual as it didn't happen to me.

Felk

Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
Felk said:

How about the fact that people experience sheds on finasteride? Myself included. There are threads about this subject alone.

I've seen many of those threads before.

Anecdotal evidence isn't what I'm talking about, it's not strong enough, otherwise we'd have to conclude that finasteride causes flatulence and makes you homosexual :p

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Usually the major shed occurs between months 6-8. So you have plenty of time not to worry. If you are real lucky, it won't happen. Take photos once a month to compare.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
Anecdotal evidence isn't what I'm talking about, it's not strong enough, otherwise we'd have to conclude that finasteride causes flatulence and makes you homosexual :p

Taken from this forum. (If this info is outdated or incorrect I trust it would have been removed by now.)

"There have been multiple reports of excessive shedding several months after finasteride therapy. Typically, there is a good response to finasteride to prevent or reverse male pattern baldness. Then, around the 11th to 16th week, there can be sudden shedding, sometimes on a massive scale. The entire phenomenon fits the description of a telogen effluvium. It is a common observation that post-partum women often suffer the same temporary hair loss. In the case of finasteride use, the telogen effluvium appears to be a reaction to the sudden change in the systemic levels of the sex hormone, DHT."

I'm thinking that coupled with numerous accounts of this exact thing happening is proof enough that finasteride has the ability to cause a significant shed near the 4-8 month mark depending on the person. For as long as I've been on here I've heard about finasteride causing shedding. Why is this the first I'm hearing of it being a myth? I may have believed it if I weren't going through it myself but at this point there is no disputing it for me.

Felk

Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
Felk said:

Taken from this forum. (If this info is outdated or incorrect I trust it would have been removed by now.)

"There have been multiple reports of excessive shedding several months after finasteride therapy. Typically, there is a good response to finasteride to prevent or reverse male pattern baldness. Then, around the 11th to 16th week, there can be sudden shedding, sometimes on a massive scale. The entire phenomenon fits the description of a telogen effluvium. It is a common observation that post-partum women often suffer the same temporary hair loss. In the case of finasteride use, the telogen effluvium appears to be a reaction to the sudden change in the systemic levels of the sex hormone, DHT."

I'm thinking that coupled with numerous accounts of this exact thing happening is proof enough that finasteride has the ability to cause a significant shed near the 4-8 month mark depending on the person. For as long as I've been on here I've heard about finasteride causing shedding. Why is this the first I'm hearing of it being a myth? I may have believed it if I weren't going through it myself but at this point there is no disputing it for me.

Well I'm just going on Bryan and others' statements that there was weak evidence for it, and having never seen any evidence for it myself. But show me the source of that quote and I'll have a squiz, and my mind may well be changed :pint: