jimmyjames's story - (24 and losing hair (pics))

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Tainted - Sorry, but I've got another minoxidil question for you: how long do you wait before you feel the minoxidil has dried on your head? Is it a real pain in the *** waiting for it to dry? Has it changed your lifestyle at all? I'm not looking forward to sitting around, drumming my fingers and waiting for this goop to dry, but I guess it's worth a shot.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
hair006.jpg
hair005.jpg
hair004.jpg
hair003.jpg
hair002.jpg
hair001.jpg

Could anyone tell me where I am on the Norwood scale? Have I waited too long to tackle this and get my hair back (especially when it comes to my receding hairline)? These pictures were taken with a flash when my hair was dry - when it's wet, you can see more scalp on top. My left side has receded the most - it doesn't grow right there anymore.

Tell me what you think and please be honest.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Jimmy,

I know you don't want to hear it, but judging by those pics, you'd be an ideal candidate for propecia I think. I'm only going by the dramatic progress I have seen from other users on this site, with hair that at baseline was very similar to yours. I don't personally use Propecia (yet), although I am probably going to start it soon. In terms of side effects, I think it is one of the safest meds out there. It's exceptionally unlikely you'll get side effects or anything bad would happen.

To answer your original question, I would say you are NW2.6, and it's definitely not too late to reverse most of it, provided you get on propecia.

I don't think there has every been a case of a Propecia user fathering a deformed child (above regular statistical probability anyway). There are millions of propecia users worldwide... besides, by the time you want to have kids (if you do!) better treatments will be available.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You need Propecia.

Dr. Lee (Minoxidil.com) sells Minoxidil 5% to Canada and marks it a Free Sample so you can pay the taxes yourself.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
propecia

Thanks for the advice, guys, but I'm still not sure about Propecia. I'll do some more research, though, and maybe talk to a doctor. I bought a month's worth of 2% Rogaine, too - I'll try a month and see if I have the discipline to use the stuff twice a day. Then maybe I'll get on the 5%.

G

Using stuff like tricomin and minoxidil without a dht inhibitor means your regimen is seriously lacking.

G

jimmyjames said:
is there a DHT inhibitor other than Propecia?

there's spironolactone which isn't as effective and which is applied topically. you can get it from minoxidil.com.

avodart is another dht inhibitor but it's oral like propecia so you probably wouldn't want it.

CCS

Reaction score
there is also revivogen, if it is actually high in GLA like they imply.
If money is not an issue you can hedge your bets.

Yeah, you are a NW3v, though not slick anywhere.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
applying rogaine

Hello again,

After two days of using Rogaine, I'm having some problems applying the stuff. I've looked all over this forum, but I still haven't figured out the best way to apply it with the amount of hair I have. I don't want to shave my head because I'm pretty sure I'd look ridiculous. But with the amount of hair I have now, it seems like a lot of it is just getting absorbed into my hair. Mainly I'm trying to apply it to my crown area and along my hairlines.

I've been trying to part it into rows at my hairline to get in there, but if I let it dry that way my hair gets "stuck" in the rows. Needless to say, that isn't a good look for me.

And can I spray on Tricomin soon after applying Rogaine?

Thanks.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well just keep your head tilted back and apply a bit of minoxidil every inch or so aprt along the hairline. The minoxidil will become even sprad in the horny layer of the skin so no worries about applying some even line across your forehead.

Do the same on your crown..a drop here, a drop there.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Folically - I appreciate the advice.

And how long should I wait before I style my hair? I've been styling it almost immediately because if I wait too long, the Rogaine keeps my hair sticking out at weird angles.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
xandrox

Can anyone tell me anything (positive or negative) about XANDROX? It's available at http://www.minoxidil.com. It claims to be both a growth stimulator AND a DHT inhibitor. As someone who doesn't want to use propecia and who doesn't want to spend half his day applying topicals and waiting for them to dry, this 2 in 1 combo seems too good to be true.....

templemonk

Established Member
Reaction score
im about to order my first batch of finasteride( propecia/proscar), but i admit i am worried abit.. i heard IF im the one of the people who get sides, it could be pretty bad. more than sides.. messing with hormone at this age seems little too dangerous.. but imma give it a try and see what happens.
jimmy, i heard all the topical stuff gets you hair for that moment but its better to stop letting it fall out first and grow it out. i don't really like popping pills either but whats the point if you get hair from topicals but you keep losing more hair?

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Templemonk - I know exactly what you're saying and to tell you the truth, I'm just starting to get really frustrated and confused with all of this. After using Tricomin for awhile, I decided to start Minoxidil because Tricomin obviously won't fix the problem on its own. But the Minoxidil is really greasy and makes my hair look like crap. So now I'm going to order Dr. Lee's quick drying stuff. But I'm still not addressing the DHT, which means I MIGHT grow hair but won't stop it from falling out. This whole process is just starting to make me feel ridiculous.

As far as Propecia goes, I just can't do it. It doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to me. BUT, before people bite my head off for saying that, I'm not saying it's not worth a shot. Lots of people use medication that hasn't been tested long term for a variety of health problems. Millions of people use Propecia worldwide. There are a whole bunch of satisfied users on this site. The side effects apparently disappear if you stop using the drug. So why not give it a shot?

I'm not encouraging you either way because I'm not a doctor and I've never tried Propecia. So I guess what it comes down to is how important keeping your hair is to you. As for me, I'm sticking to the topicals (maybe I'll try spironolactone) and hoping for the best.

Good luck.

G

templemonk,

if you get sides, you can try decreasing the dosage to around 0.5 mg a day which is almost nearly as effective as 1 mg. that might get rid of the sides. if it doesn't work give it a month to see if they go away. if they don't then you can go off the drug. finasteride has a short half-life so the drug will be out of your system in a matter of days and your libido will go back to normal.

but like others have said, only 4% of people got sides after starting on finasteride in the study and 2% of placebo did, so only about 2% of people's sides were attributable to finasteride.