JayMan's weight journal.

G

it's really not that skinny when you think about it. the healthy BMI range for someone of my height is 129-169 inclusive I believe, and I'm almost right at the median weight, only 3 pounds below. And they say that for health purposes, all weights in that range are considered to be equally healthy, so your average 5'9" 130 pound man would be presumed to be just as healthy for BMI purposes as a 5'9" 169 pound man. In reality though, the average 130 pound man is much more likely to have a lower resting heart rate(which is good as long as it's not too low) as well as a lower blood pressure, and probably lower cholesterol too. Hearts don't have to work as hard on smaller guys as they do on larger guys.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
JayMan said:
it's really not that skinny when you think about it. the healthy BMI range for someone of my height is 129-169 inclusive I believe, and I'm almost right at the median weight, only 3 pounds below. And they say that for health purposes, all weights in that range are considered to be equally healthy, so your average 5'9" 130 pound man would be presumed to be just as healthy for BMI purposes as a 5'9" 169 pound man. In reality though, the average 130 pound man is much more likely to have a lower resting heart rate(which is good as long as it's not too low) as well as a lower blood pressure, and probably lower cholesterol too. Hearts don't have to work as hard on smaller guys as they do on larger guys.

Yeah I get called skinny too although my BMI is supposed to be almost "perfect", right in the middle of the median for my height. But to call someone who is fat fat, that's another thing, not acceptable at all.

G

ghg said:
JayMan said:

Yeah I get called skinny too although my BMI is supposed to be almost "perfect", right in the middle of the median for my height. But to call someone who is fat fat, that's another thing, not acceptable at all.

in my experiences, the people who call other people skinny usually are people who are overweight. it's not an insult like fat is often used, because the skinny comment stems from envy rather than a desire to hurt.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Christ, that's skinny, Jayman. And you don't even exercise regularly?

I just thought the same thing when I read the above post. I'm not too familiar with the BMI range, but going on experience, I coached my high school's varsity basketball team this fall and the point guard on the team, who is really small even for a high school kid, is 5'9 and about 135...and he's really skinny. I didn't really read too many of the previous pages...are you trying to gain weight, or looking to stay at your current weight?

G

EasyEd said:
Aplunk1 said:
Christ, that's skinny, Jayman. And you don't even exercise regularly?

I just thought the same thing when I read the above post. I'm not too familiar with the BMI range, but going on experience, I coached my high school's varsity basketball team this fall and the point guard on the team, who is really small even for a high school kid, is 5'9 and about 135...and he's really skinny. I didn't really read too many of the previous pages...are you trying to gain weight, or looking to stay at your current weight?

Just maintain the current weight. 145 today.