JayMan's weight journal.

G

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm losing weight by following a 600-700 calorie a day diet along with some cardio and weight training.

I'm using an ECA stack(25 mg of ephedrine 3x a day, 200 mg of caffeine 3x a day(no doz) and 3 regular-strength aspirin a day) along with it to help burn fat and increase energy.

I've lost 8 pounds and am now on day 5 of the diet. I have about 30 more pounds to lose. I might decide to go lower than that to say 135-140 pounds, but we'll see when the time comes.

I started at 185 pounds am now at 177. Goal weight is anywhere in between 135 and 145. I am 5 foot 9 inches.

I know that I can follow through with this because I did it a couple summers ago and lost 45 pounds on it(without the ephedrine, so this should be even easier, and i wasn't exercising then either). I have sick willpower when it comes to sh*t like this, and maybe I'll even post some before-after pics when I'm done.

Updates will be posted regularly with my weight.

docj077

Reaction score
Wow, Jayman.

That's really dangerous.

That's the least recommended route...by far.

G

docj077 said:
Wow, Jayman.

That's really dangerous.

Doctor, would it be safer if I ate 1000 calories a day and did more cardio and exercise? I did do it 3 summers ago as I said and I had no adverse health effects although my hair loss did seem to start around that time, I guess, hah.

Do you think the ECA stack is unsafe? is that why you said it's unsafe? thanks.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
You did this before and you gained it back it seems. This is a starvation diet and isn't healthy.

Wuldn't the best thing to do be to just eat a healthy lower carb/fat diet and continue with the exercise so that you lose weight and keep it off for life?

Unless you are trying to lose weight really quickly or something, I do not see the point.

Jm0311

Reaction score
why do u wanna lose that much weight? that is so stupid..you dont need to take all that sh*t......hit the roads....do some PT

docj077

Reaction score
JayMan said:
docj077 said:
Wow, Jayman.

That's really dangerous.

Doctor, would it be safer if I ate 1000 calories a day and did more cardio and exercise? I did do it 3 summers ago as I said and I had no adverse health effects although my hair loss did seem to start around that time, I guess, hah.

Ephedrine and caffeine is a deadly combination, sir. Don't mess around with ephedrine in such a way.

It would be much, much, much safer to do a low calorie diet with more cardio and exercise. Start counting calories. Give yourself so many for breakfast, so many for lunch, and so many for dinner. Pay incredibly careful attention to what you eat for snacks. I hate to say this, because I'm used to eating them, but eat only baked chips and soy chips for snacks or have some lowfat yogurt. Eat this with an apple.

Stay way from the Lean Cuisine's and all that other supposed "healthy" crap you can find in your freezer isle. That stuff is so incredibly unhealthy it makes me nauseous just to read the nutrition information on the back.

Wake up in the morning, have some cheerios with some low-fat or 1% milk. Take an apple or an orange with you. When you get hungry for the first time, eat that apple or orange. For lunch, eat something simple, but healthy. Personally, I like the four dollar 6 inch turkey and ham at Subway. Otherwise, have a peanut butter sandwich or eat some yogurt. For supper, eat what you want, but eat in moderation. Whatever you eat, make sure that you have soluble fiber with it in some shape or form. Eat A LOT of vegetables and grains.

What your food labels for saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, etc. Just pay attention. Most people don't realize how nasty most the food that you buy at the grocery store truly is.

Eating like I stated above might not give you the energy that you need for maintaining throughout the day. Especially, if you're exercising. I like to eat Powerbars for that extra boost when I need it.

Fruits and vegetables need to become your life. Once that happens and you start exercising, you'll drop the weight and keep it off. Fast food is off limits.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jayman, restricting your caloric intake below healthy minimums only forces your body into starvation mode. Your body will actually hold on to fat, and eat muscle first. You'd also be greatly lowering your bodies metabolism by starving yourself, exactly opposite of what any good diet is trying to accomplish.

But if you want to do something as drastic, try eliminating all sugars and refined carbs from your diet, which will greatly increase thermogenesis, or your bodies ability to burn fat. I also agree with Doctor about the need to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables, and fiber in general.

docj077

Reaction score
Eliminating all sugars from the diet will simply due the same thing. It'll cause muscle breakdown, so the body can use the necessary amino acids for energy. However, fat breakdown will also eventually occur with the end result being him urinating out the breakdown products in the form of ketones.

Essentially, he's going to make his body function like the body of a diabetic. No access to glucose for metabolism, so the body will use whatever it can find. Fat included.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You get all the sugars you need from fruits and complex carbohydrates, which are broken down one chemical step away from sugar. Complex carbs are also broken down more slowly, which also allows blood glucose to rise more gradually. I would substitute all sugar with stevia.

G

docj077 said:
JayMan said:
docj077 said:
Wow, Jayman.

That's really dangerous.

Ephedrine and caffeine is a deadly combination, sir. Don't mess around with ephedrine in such a way.

It would be much, much, much safer to do a low calorie diet with more cardio and exercise. Start counting calories. Give yourself so many for breakfast, so many for lunch, and so many for dinner. Pay incredibly careful attention to what you eat for snacks. I hate to say this, because I'm used to eating them, but eat only baked chips and soy chips for snacks or have some lowfat yogurt. Eat this with an apple.

Stay way from the Lean Cuisine's and all that other supposed "healthy" crap you can find in your freezer isle. That stuff is so incredibly unhealthy it makes me nauseous just to read the nutrition information on the back.

Wake up in the morning, have some cheerios with some low-fat or 1% milk. Take an apple or an orange with you. When you get hungry for the first time, eat that apple or orange. For lunch, eat something simple, but healthy. Personally, I like the four dollar 6 inch turkey and ham at Subway. Otherwise, have a peanut butter sandwich or eat some yogurt. For supper, eat what you want, but eat in moderation. Whatever you eat, make sure that you have soluble fiber with it in some shape or form. Eat A LOT of vegetables and grains.

What your food labels for saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, etc. Just pay attention. Most people don't realize how nasty most the food that you buy at the grocery store truly is.

Eating like I stated above might not give you the energy that you need for maintaining throughout the day. Especially, if you're exercising. I like to eat Powerbars for that extra boost when I need it.

Fruits and vegetables need to become your life. Once that happens and you start exercising, you'll drop the weight and keep it off. Fast food is off limits.

Ah I see Doctor. Thanks for the tips. Here's what I've been eating for the past 5 days:

Morning: bowl of all-bran with skim milk(170 calories total)

Lunch: 2 bologna and cheese sandwiches with fat-free bologna and light bread(320 calories)

Dinner: 2 veggie burgers with mustard(200 calories)

Multivitamin once a day

690 calories

You don't think I can keep this up without messing myself up, for real? I did do it 3 summers ago and I wouldn't do it for more than two months.

docj077 said:
Eliminating all sugars from the diet will simply due the same thing. It'll cause muscle breakdown, so the body can use the necessary amino acids for energy. However, fat breakdown will also eventually occur with the end result being him urinating out the breakdown products in the form of ketones.

Essentially, he's going to make his body function like the body of a diabetic. No access to glucose for metabolism, so the body will use whatever it can find. Fat included.

You say make my body function like a diabetic, and I think I understand what you're saying, because my dad is one, and I don't want to join him.

How about eating 1100 calories a day with cardio 3x a week and weight training twice a week?

One final question for you: you say that the ephedrine and caffeine is a deadly combination, but bodybuilders use the ECA stack all the time I've read?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
You say make my body function like a diabetic, and I think I understand what you're saying, because my dad is one, and I don't want to join him.

How about eating 1100 calories a day with cardio 3x a week and weight training twice a week?

One final question for you: you say that the ephedrine and caffeine is a deadly combination, but bodybuilders use the ECA stack all the time I've read?

I guess you didn't read my follow-up reply to Doctor. Actually, one the best things to prevent diabetes, and better regulate blood sugar, would be to switch from all simple sugars to complex carbohydrates, perhaps with a lower glycemic index. What he wrote eludes the fundamental nutrition that is taught most school children. Of course, it takes a firm commitment to re-teach the brain, since in many ways sucrose is a drug. In fact, if every adult were to re-read the below text, it would avoid many of the misconceptions about carbohydrates that arise over dieting, in general.

Learning about carbohydrates

Simply put, a large amount of sucrose (and even fructose, and high glycemic foods) leads to increased insulin production. Excess insulin blocks thermogenisis, or you bodies ability to convert fat into heat. Excess glucose and insulin eventually numb cells, and become poisonous to your system, thus diabetes sets in. Diabetes is currently a irreversible biochemical phenomenon.

And as far as caloric intake, the rule of thumb for dieting is no less than 1000-1200 calories, and I generally agree. Starvation mode is a very real metabolic phenomenon, where your body slows down to preserve every single calorie. A diabetic would probably experience the effects much quicker than someone with normal blood sugar levels. Over time, starvation mode can have very serious health consequences.

Effect of starvation and very low calorie diets on protein-energy interrelationships in lean and obese subjects

I would also break up those 1000-1200 calories over a period of 4 hours a clip to maintain a super-high metabolism.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SkylineGTR said:
Glycemic Index...
atkins will kill ya....

Yeah, I generally agree, and wouldn't mess with low carbohydrate ratio diets. You'd be better off, and much healthier, to tweak carbs, and glycemic index overall. That's not to say glycemic index itself is always accurate or completely scientific, but the concept certainly has a lot more validity.... in my mind.

docj077

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Atkins, phase one.

Exactly.

Low carb diets will make your body appear as though it functions similar to the body of a type I diabetic. Ketoacidosis and the excretion of ketones in the urine will ensue.

That's how you lose the weight on the Atkins diet.

Since a type I diabetic does not produce insulin, the body is forced to get energy wherever it can. Thus, the muscle wasting and breakdown of fat occurs.

Atkins is the natural diabetes.

Zeal

Reaction score
I hope none of the advice I'm about to give comes across as condescending, I'm not sure what you know or what your exercise/diet history is other than what you said about dieting three years ago. I'm just going to rehash tried and true advice here:

-You need to eat at least ~1600 calories per day.
-eat 5-8 times per day, or every few hours to jack up your metabolism and turn yourself into a human blast furnace.
-cut off carbs with the exception of veggies in the last few hours of the day
-Eat some form of lean, complete protein protein at every meal (chicken, beef, eggs etc. as opposed to grain based proteins which are incomplete) go for at least 1g/lb of body weight in protein. some would argue to eat even more than that.
-focus on eating low g.i. carbs for energy. brown rice, oatmeal, berries, whole wheat bread and pasta (watch out for high fructose corn syrup), yams, etc. avoid sugars like the plague
-do some heavy weight training to hold on to as much muscle mass as possible. find a good weight training program that incorporates the other big 3: squats, deadlifts, bench press. you MIGHT even be able to gain some muscle mass on a diet like this if you're new to weight training
-DO NOT GO BELOW ~1600 CALORIES PER DAY. The 1200 calorie figure is geared towards women. You should be neither sedentary nor a woman, so you'll need a bit more. Eat less than this and your body will fight for every calorie, storing whatever it can as fat. Bad things can happen as a result of this malnutrition, i.e. hairloss, problems with teeth, etc. as well as any number of things you can't visibly see
-add cardio to create a bigger overall calorie deficit and keep your heart healthy.
-don't stare at the scale. weigh yourself maybe once a week, and just make this a lifestyle change for a few months. weighing yourself every day and hoping for visible changes in the scale will just make you go insane.
-drink plenty of water. a gallon of water is a good benchmark.

Keep this up for a few months and you should look great. The scale is just a number. Sure, you can starve yourself down 30 pounds but you'll be skinny-fat and flabby, and the second you take off your shirt your rating on the CCS scale will drop at least 3 points when the ugly truth is revealed. A guy I work with lost a crapload of weight by starving himself and he's definitely what you would call a "thin" guy now, but he looks tired and weak.

CCS

Reaction score
jayman, you have to eat balanced meals every 3 hours. They can be small, but must be about every 3 hours.

When you do cardio, keep it under 30 minutes, and do interval training. It is better to do 4 small sessions than a long session.

Is your goal to just burn fat or to just lose weight? If the former, see the posts I have in this forum.