Japanese researchers implant stem cells that grow hair

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is new or not, it's dated today but the site
the article is on looks questionable. The message sounds good though.

The scientists, from the Tokyo University of Science, took two types of skin stem cell, which together contain all the instructions for a hair follicle and grew them in the lab, until they formed immature follicles.

These were then implanted in on the backs of hairless mice and, within two to three weeks, they sprouted hairs. The technique was also used to grow whiskers.

Excitingly, the mice also grew tufts of hair when human stem cells, gleaned from the scalp of a balding man were used, the journal Nature Communications reports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-secret-cure-baldness.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I like this:
http://www.tsuji-lab.com/en/research/organ/hair.html

I kinda trust a bit the Japs and their science, I like the fact that it is developed in a departemnt that also does other organ regeneration...

They are currently using stem cells to generate bone instead of old bone grafts from pigs...

so promising but not sure how far..

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
one cannot have hope for too long:

"Tsuji said he wants to launch clinical tests within three years."

and another 5 years of trials, and 2 years of launching... my kids will have a full head of hair..

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol, it seems like they can manipulate any kind of results they want on mice... It is always a different story when its on a human scalp. But good news nonetheless.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Forget our hair, think of all of the cool hairstyles mice can have now!

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah another cool thing to add the long list of cool things possible in the next 20 years. When im 50 years old though not sure how much ill still care.