Japan - Feb 2018 - Scale Production Of Biofabrication Of Hair Follicle For Regenerative Medicine

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not really.
This experiment was conducted on mice. The stem cells used were murine, not human and they were embryonic, to boot.
Tsuji has conducted experiments using human adult stem cells on mice.
The stem cells are different, the technology similar, though.

No dude, it is the same process.

The fact that it works with different species, embryonic or non-embryonic cells, etc. only fortifies the procedures credibility. I am not sure why this is difficult.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just wish I was as optimistic about the prospects of many people being able to actually get this kind of treatment when it comes out, but that is beside the point.

Yup. It seems clear that it will be expensive as fuh.
Is it possible to estimate how long it will be before the prices fall somewhat?

Also, do we have absolutely any clue about how expensive will HM + hair transplant be anyway?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup. It seems clear that it will be expensive as fuh.

I think it goes beyond that. We also know that only a handful of Japanese surgeons will be offering it in the beginning. So even if you can afford it, it's likely you will be faced with considerable wait times. I mean, normal transplant surgeons can already be backed up for months; imagine what it would be like if they can offer limitless hair with precise control over its properties?

Is it possible to estimate how long it will be before the prices fall somewhat?

Years. Impossible to give an accurate number, though.

When Riken launches their product, they will basically have no competition. None of the other "hair cloning" endeavors are as close nor as sophisticated. It also takes several years for patents to expire. Because there is no one offering a lower price, there is no reason to lower the price and who knows how long it will take to automate the process.

Some also argue that the price may never really drop and have cited other common plastic surgeries remaining at ostensibly the same general price point (or at least "expensive" by some definition) despite having been available for a long time.

Cosmetic surgeries, including this one, are a specialized surgical skill and the thing about selling skills is that they have no theoretical limit in what you can charge. So it's not like buying a product that can become cheaper to produce over time...at least, not for the foreseeable future.

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it goes beyond that. We also know that only a handful of Japanese surgeons will be offering it in the beginning. So even if you can afford it, it's likely you will be faced with considerable wait times. I mean, normal transplant surgeons can already be backed up for months; imagine what it would be like if they can offer limitless hair with precise control over its properties?

When Riken launches their product, they will basically have no competition. None of the other "hair cloning" endeavors are as close nor as sophisticated. It also takes several years for patents to expire. Because there is no one offering a lower price, there is no reason to lower the price and who knows how long it will take to automate the process.

Some also argue that the price may never really drop and have cited other common plastic surgeries remaining at ostensibly the same general price point (or at least "expensive" by some definition) despite having been available for a long time.

Cosmetic surgeries, including this one, are a specialized surgical skill and the thing about selling skills is that they have no theoretical limit in what you can charge. So it's not like buying a product that can become cheaper to produce over time...at least, not for the foreseeable future.
It hasn't even been proven to work.
Calm down.

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score

They’ll have no competition at first but considering the mental health implications of hairloss, this should damn well be treated as something like penicillin, for the greater good of humanity. If not, we need a bit of hairloss talk corporate espionage to steal the method blueprints.

Longway886

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People worried about prices should really look into investing in blockchain and crypto currency

It’s easy to do and definitely the future, the returns can be insane.

A small investment of 1k could be a small fortune in 1-5 years.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People worried about prices should really look into investing in blockchain and crypto currency

It’s easy to do and definitely the future, the returns can be insane.

A small investment of 1k could be a small fortune in 1-5 years.
Bitcoin has had its course for the most part. You know it's time to abandon ship when it's all over the news and Tai freakin Lopez has a video on it. Jump in early when the normies are unaware, get out when the hype starts. Besides, mining is a b**ch nowadays due to the nature of Bitcoin.
Blockchain on the other hand.. there's a lot of money to be made there. But big companies are already on it.

Longway886

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bitcoin has had its course for the most part. You know it's time to abandon ship when it's all over the news and Tai freakin Lopez has a video on it. Jump in early when the normies are unaware, get out when the hype starts. Besides, mining is a b**ch nowadays due to the nature of Bitcoin.
Blockchain on the other hand.. there's a lot of money to be made there. But big companies are already on it.

Nobody knows if bitcoin has actually had its day yet. i bought in at $10 k and it rose to 19k dropped to 11k and back up to 16k, it will always do this and the key is to stay with it if you beleive in the technology.

Ethereum on the other hand is defiently the future.

Crypto currency is still in its very early days and is not just about actually currency, blockchain technology is the key and will solve many problems in the near future.

I personally feel it’s about backing the right horse. 90% will fail but the 10% that suceed will be huge. If people do their homework and find a currency that has a strong devolpment team and a strong leader the potential profits are crazy. One I am invested in is TRON (TRX) that has already x 5 my initial investment.

How I see it is either -100% or + 1000%+.. the potential gains outweigh the potential losses

I know this is compeltely off topic but I’m saying this because this could be for the people who would never be able to afford expensive hairloss treatments when they come out and a small investment now could make this possble when it does.. I’m not saying this is guarenteed at all and there will be ups and downs but IMO blockchain technology is the next big step in the internet and it’s still very early days to invest.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nobody knows if bitcoin has actually had its day yet. i bought in at $10 k and it rose to 19k dropped to 11k and back up to 16k, it will always do this and the key is to stay with it if you beleive in the technology.

Ethereum on the other hand is defiently the future.

Crypto currency is still in its very early days and is not just about actually currency, blockchain technology is the key and will solve many problems in the near future.

I personally feel it’s about backing the right horse. 90% will fail but the 10% that suceed will be huge. If people do their homework and find a currency that has a strong devolpment team and a strong leader the potential profits are crazy. One I am invested in is TRON (TRX) that has already x 5 my initial investment.

How I see it is either -100% or + 1000%+.. the potential gains outweigh the potential losses

I know this is compeltely off topic but I’m saying this because this could be for the people who would never be able to afford expensive hairloss treatments when they come out and a small investment now could make this possble when it does.. I’m not saying this is guarenteed at all and there will be ups and downs but IMO blockchain technology is the next big step in the internet and it’s still very early days to invest.
Agree with everything but not everyone is cut out to make decisions like this so they should take your advice with a grain of salt and never put in anything they can't afford to lose.

Longway886

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agree with everything but not everyone is cut out to make decisions like this so they should take your advice with a grain of salt and never put in anything they can't afford to lose.

Yes completely agree only invest if you are prepared to lose it all

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Many people here are totally naive. Even if the treatment is with OK price still most people will not care to have it. Why? Because they don’t care. There are professional gyms on every corner, but still vast majority of people are overweight. Amount of people that I see daily that are in bad shape with bad teeths, thrashy clothes, smelly body are far more in numbers than decent people. Just look at the amount of thrashy fat women in USA or Canada. On other hand USA is most advanced country for cosmetic treatments in world, but still vast majority of women don’t care.

If Tsuji treatment show fantastic results then it will spread out very soon to most biggest cosmetic companies. No doubt about that.

Trouse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Getting a cosmetic procedure is nothing like physical exercise to improve ones appearance. Going to the gym takes time, effort and dedication. Getting a new head of hair (theoretically) takes money and of course some time to be set aside, but it doesn’t classify as a commitment. It would be more like a vacation.

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Exactly -- this is a quick fix culture we're talking about, and going to the gym, for example, is the antithesis of that.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
The excitement level is well justified although we all know it will take time. But the roadblock because of unknowns and lack of technology has been shattered. And thankfully, research is in Japan so FDA scrutiny of research on human, in vitro cell culture is eliminated plus other possible limitations.

I wonder, will this cell culture approach be the way forward or root stem cell differentiation?

We should be fixated on the next milestone which will be taking their technique and applying it to human, non-embryonic cells.

Also, Good God! The prospect of density beyond regular hair transplantation!:

"Transplantation of spatially aligned ssHFGs

ssHFGs were prepared in a dense and spatially regulated manner on the HFG chip. We hypothesized that their transplantation in this same arrangement may be both beneficial to and practical for human hair regeneration therapy. By considering the average number of hair shafts generated from single ssHFGs (Fig. 4C), a cell seeding density was chosen such that the prospective density of hair shafts would be roughly the same as that on the human head."

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The excitement level is well justified although we all know it will take time. But the roadblock because of unknowns and lack of technology has been shattered. And thankfully, research is in Japan so FDA scrutiny of research on human, in vitro cell culture is eliminated plus other possible limitations.

I wonder, will this cell culture approach be the way forward or root stem cell differentiation?

We should be fixated on the next milestone which will be taking their technique and applying it to human, non-embryonic cells.

Also, Good God! The prospect of density beyond regular hair transplantation!:

"Transplantation of spatially aligned ssHFGs

ssHFGs were prepared in a dense and spatially regulated manner on the HFG chip. We hypothesized that their transplantation in this same arrangement may be both beneficial to and practical for human hair regeneration therapy. By considering the average number of hair shafts generated from single ssHFGs (Fig. 4C), a cell seeding density was chosen such that the prospective density of hair shafts would be roughly the same as that on the human head."

I'm imagining a large adjustable "helmet" made up of panels full of needles not dissimilar to Replicel's dermal injector device. You stick your head in and say "Hey Doctor I'll go for an NW1.5 today, thanks!" and they press a button and your head is full of these ssHFGs. A few months later you've got this..

nw1.5.jpg

The future is very exciting.

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm imagining a large adjustable "helmet" made up of panels full of needles not dissimilar to Replicel's dermal injector device. You stick your head in and say "Hey Doctor I'll go for an NW1.5 today, thanks!" and they press a button and your head is full of these ssHFGs. A few months later you've got this..

View attachment 75607

The future is very exciting.
Sad that we won't have the advancement in technology to get such a face too lol