I've Never Seen Shaved Head FUE Scar Pics

IronLionZion

Reaction score
I'm considering FUE to slightly fill out a receeding hairline - maybe 1,500 FUEs. I'm a diffuse thinner all over, but I'm not too worried about the top of my head.

However, since I am only 27, it seems likely that I may, at some point, go completely bald on top. In that case, I'd have to shave my head completely.

I need to know how visible the FUE scars would be. I can't find any pics online. Do you guys have any info?

Also, does FUE scar ONLY the donor site, or the receptor site as well?

I'll post pics later, if anyone is interested.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Both methods if done well leave scars in the donor area only. But fue is less noticable and you can get away with buzzing your head. Shaving to slick bald would be a little risk tho.

bor83

Reaction score
I have the fue white dots or whatever you want to call them. They are somewhat visible when hair is clipped with a 1 guard. After a few days of growth they can't be seen. If I were to shave to the skin they would be horrifically visible.
Strip or Fue - either one is surgery and you're going to get scars. Strip scars are obviously more visible but shouldn't matter if you don't plan on keeping your hair short.

I've had many FUE surgeries and bought into the whole idea years back that it's good to just get 1,500 FUE grafts or so and you can keep it short. The reality is (once you have had a transplant you realize this) hair transplanted hairs look terrible buzzed short even if dense-packed. Grafts look best and most natural when they are grown medium to long.

nw_2

Reaction score
LooseItAll said:
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=50&threadid=58644&STARTPAGE=9&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Search for a guy named TransplantTrauma
Wow, I'm absolutely shocked by those pictures.

I ve got to admit I've never shaved my head to slick bald, but several times to 1mm or less (without set-up piece) and dont see anything at all.

If you have such a visible scars than those should be noticeable with 1mm or less too. Those FUE scars in that pic are horrible IMO.

nw_2

Reaction score
Here a picture I digged up with somebody with a normal shaved head. The scars are a lot smaller than that other person on the hairlosshelp forum but still very noticable. A a lot closer of what someone should expect but still bad. I think its not only punch size (of course very important) but also your own physics.

Attachments

• perd.jpg
    perd.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 22,658

nw_2

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I'd give my left nut to have HARDLY ANY SCARS LIKE THAT!

If you think this guy's scars are bad, wait until you see scars from a strip hair transplant! :freaked2:
Seriously, your left nut ? Right is gone already ? ;-) :p

Yeah of course FUT scars are even worse but this guy has his head shaven to 1mm and you can still see all those white spots. I think that's bad. :)

nw_2

Reaction score
dudemon said:
If you think that's bad, then you should be aware that there are far worse donor FUE "white dot" scars out there that I've seen. To me, those in the pic above don't look that bad at all.

I mean, nobody should get an hair transplant and expect to be able to shave their head or buzz to a #0 and have no visible scars. That is not realisitic at all.

I'll be darned ? Not realistic ? That's damn realistic !

Just because there are far worse FUE scars that you have seen, does not mean anybody should accept that; shown in BOTH pictures. They must have visited a lousy doctor. The first example was horrible and the second example was bad too. I dont care there are worse examples out there, nobody should.

Anybody should be able to shave their head without visible scars. That's what a good and normal FUE is all about. Are there any scars ? Theoretically there should be scars. Can you shave your head with a razor blade ? I think that's a bit too much.

I have also learned that the more FUE grafts you have done, the more "white dots" you are going to have in the donor area.
You're really going out on a limb there. :woot:

nw_2

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I disagree. From what I understand, typically with FUE, I think you can go down to like a #1 or 2 (maybe #0 on some guys), and have minimal scars showing. However, up close, they may still be somewhat visible from a few feet away, with the hair buzzed down (or shaved) that close.

Also, theoretically, not only should there be scars from ANY surgical procedure, but the WILL be, not matter what!

English is my second language...so should be, will be...forgive me...

However if I cut my finger and that wound heals than I dont necessarily have a visible scar...that's my main point. Of course many scars will be there if you have removed 5000 grafts; like me, but not visible with a normal shaven head.

I disagree completely that you cant shave your head (#0) without seeing any scars. I'm not an exception or so. You are the first one who I've ever seen who claims this and dont understand why. Have you done any FUE's ? Have you met people who have done a FUE ? In that case, I would recommend them to visit a better Doctor.

dudemon said:
Actually, that is a KNOWN fact! They may not be clearly visible, but there will still be donor "dot" scars. They are there. Again, any surgical procedure leaves scars, no matter what. The more grafts you have removed from the donor area, the more donor scars you'll have.
I think you forgot the sarcasm alert there my friend. :D

Of course more scars will be there.

That you have learned that the more FUE grafts you have done, the more "white dots" you are going to have in the donor area is not shocking news.;-) The more money I spend on a new car, the more money I loose on my bankaccount. :woot:

nw_2

Reaction score
If these people say to you that they have many visible scars with a shaven head, than I dont say they are lying. Like these earlier pictures show, there are examples out there. No need for denial but that's not my point. The point is how much are the odds % that this will happen.

If I ask on a forum if there are any people who have any visible scars due to a FUE, than OF COURSE people will respond to that and yes say. Conclusion should not be..."FUE leaves visible traces with a shaven head." or what you said that anyone can go down to like a #1 or 2 (maybe #0 on some guys). If that would be the case than we would be hearing so much more noise about it.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
So do you have visible scarring from FUE's, nw_2?

nw_2

Reaction score
No luckily I havent and many people "i know'' neither. Here in Western-Europe most people are doing FUE's just because of those scars. Some clinics dont even do FUT anymore. People just accept that the results of a FUE are not always as good as FUT....but thats another discussion. They just dont want any visible scars, because there's still the possibillity that their hair situation is getting worse. In that case they can still shave their head without an eye breaking scar.

That's why I was a bit shocked about those FUE scar pictures. In Belgium you have some excellent docs who work with the smallest punches (from 0.5mm to 0.7mm). Now I have become very curious how my head will look like if I shave my head with a razor blade. Perhaps I will once try it.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nw_2, do you have any info about prohairclinic in Belgium, are they any good? I'm really weighing my options now and Prohairclinic seems like a viable one.

nw_2

Reaction score
ghg said:
Nw_2, do you have any info about prohairclinic in Belgium, are they any good? I'm really weighing my options now and Prohairclinic seems like a viable one.
Yeah excellent, they were my 2nd option. Their Doctor was Dr.Reys but he's gone but their work is still terrific. And very cheap, about $3.5 per graft. I can recommend them.

bor83

Reaction score
nw_2 said:
Here a picture I digged up with somebody with a normal shaved head. The scars are a lot smaller than that other person on the hairlosshelp forum but still very noticable. A a lot closer of what someone should expect but still bad. I think its not only punch size (of course very important) but also your own physics.

The photos of transplant trauma are of 1mm punches or more which is what was more common in the first years of fue.

This one above is with a smaller punch size - maybe .75 mm.

You should ask the doctor during consultation what punch size he uses for extractions.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
nw_2 said:

I'd give my left nut to have HARDLY ANY SCARS LIKE THAT!

If you think this guy's scars are bad, wait until you see scars from a strip hair transplant! :freaked2:

+1 from me. You should be very lucky if you get scars like the ones this guy has (which under a #2 haircut should not be visible at all). 95% or more of people having a hair transplant get worse or far worse scars than this guy. If you get a hair transplant you must know that you get also scars and you just hope not to be visible. That's all.

IronLionZion

Reaction score
bor83 said:
I have the fue white dots or whatever you want to call them. They are somewhat visible when hair is clipped with a 1 guard. After a few days of growth they can't be seen. If I were to shave to the skin they would be horrifically visible.
Strip or Fue - either one is surgery and you're going to get scars. Strip scars are obviously more visible but shouldn't matter if you don't plan on keeping your hair short.

I've had many FUE surgeries and bought into the whole idea years back that it's good to just get 1,500 FUE grafts or so and you can keep it short. The reality is (once you have had a transplant you realize this) hair transplanted hairs look terrible buzzed short even if dense-packed. Grafts look best and most natural when they are grown medium to long.

Interesting. Great advice from someone who has done it.

"Horrifically visible" you say .... haha just what I was scared of.

I get where you are coming from. I'd love to keep my hair grown medium/log like you suggest. However, I'm a realist and I'm not prone to sugar coating things. The reality is that one day - 5 or 10 or 15 years from now - I may be completely bald. At this stage my hair is going to continue to recede and I will need more FUE in the future.Eventually, it seems likely that I wont have enough donor hairs to come close to covering my baldness. Thus, my only real choice will be a shaved bald head (I feel.)

From what you have told me I guess this isn't really possible. If I take the plunge on an FUE I am giving up the prospect of ever being able to go shaved head bald.

Not what I wanted to hear .... but thanks.

IronLionZion

Reaction score
LooseItAll said:
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=50&threadid=58644&STARTPAGE=9&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Search for a guy named TransplantTrauma

awesome info in there