It's all to do with inflammation..

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
seaback said:
The level of bald people in the U.S. and Europe is very large, I think the people of these countries do not feed properly, here where I live (Southern Brazil) to eat more seafood, vegetables and fruit, and almost do not see people below the age of 40 bald

Stupid and wrong... go back to school and learn about genetic.
My maternal grandfather is NW0 and my uncles are all NW6, the entire family of my father is at least NW5 and my father is NW2 :whistle:

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no science backing this so don't take my word for gold; just an observation. I lost some hair during the period when I would apply products in my hair religiously, hair wax and the like....and I used to sleep with it on. Anyway during the period I was doing that non stop 1-2 years, that is when I receeded a little bit and my head often used to feel very inflamed. Incidently back then when I used to run my finger through my hair I would find hair on keyboards, my food and when I would apply any products. I shred much less now days....oh and my diet was sh*t back then too, very little fruit and veg.

Since the last year or so I have cut down immensely, and there has been no change in recession for 1 and a half years. I wonder if this is a coincidence.

litcII

Reaction score
Oknow said:
There is no science backing this so don't take my word for gold; just an observation. I lost some hair during the period when I would apply products in my hair religiously, hair wax and the like....and I used to sleep with it on. Anyway during the period I was doing that non stop 1-2 years, that is when I receeded a little bit and my head often used to feel very inflamed. Incidently back then when I used to run my finger through my hair I would find hair on keyboards, my food and when I would apply any products. I shred much less now days....oh and my diet was sh*t back then too, very little fruit and veg.

Since the last year or so I have cut down immensely, and there has been no change in recession for 1 and a half years. I wonder if this is a coincidence.
You know, I've always wondered whether styling products can affect hair loss too.... I sometimes leave the styling product in over night as well..

G

My head gets very itchy, is this inflammation? How do I know if my scalp is inflammed? It is not sore or red, just itchy (sometimes in non male pattern baldness regions too)

Aloe Vera is great when applied to the scalp, lovely cooling sensation, non greasy and dries pretty fast.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
litcII said:
Oknow said:

You know, I've always wondered whether styling products can affect hair loss too.... I sometimes leave the styling product in over night as well..

This is anyones guess.

But my theory is as your follacles have access points to its roots, by wearing product, you are in effect clogging your pores with chemicals which damages it, this with the combination of DHT hitting your pores anyway can prove deadly. This isn't neccessary a bad thing if its being clogged with something healthy, but with most hair wax products they have a lot of harsh ingrediants in them which can't be good for it anyway.

Take the example of the hair wax I used to use:

http://angelfishsoho.com/range/playfish.htm

Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline wax), Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral oil), Glyceryl stearate, Petrolatum, Parfum (Fragrance), Sorbitan stearate, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed keratin, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium chloride, BHT, Benzyl salicylate.

Aside from not recognising any of the ingredients listed, I very much doubt "Petrolatum" is good for your hair follicles. This is the case with many other hair products I have seen.

G

I have never used a styling product for my hair in my life, but I have friends who use styling products all the time. I am losing my hair, they aren't. I don't think it matters at all if what negative effect styling products have on your follicles.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
goten574 said:
I have never used a styling product for my hair in my life, but I have friends who use styling products all the time. I am losing my hair, they aren't. I don't think it matters at all if what negative effect styling products have on your follicles.

Interesting.

slacker86

Reaction score
It isn't that interesting, same as you said earlier, there is no scientific evidence to back up your claim. I have always used styling products in my hair since the age of 13 or 14. My hair loss started around 19, same age as my father before me (very much doubt he used styling products) Anyway, started propecia, end of hairloss, end of story....Still use styling products! Don't go scaring people off from using them. Used correctly they help your hair look good possibly even help make your hair look thicker. Many of the young guys coming on here, who have just started balding, have a very real possibility of halting and even reversing their hair loss using the PROVEN treatments. Threads like this just confuse people and cause people to waste valuable time in treating their condition. I have yet to see any success story stating that quitting the use of hair wax and the application of Turmeric to the scalp has reversed their hair loss.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
slacker86 said:
It isn't that interesting, same as you said earlier, there is no scientific evidence to back up your claim. I have always used styling products in my hair since the age of 13 or 14. My hair loss started around 19, same age as my father before me (very much doubt he used styling products) Anyway, started propecia, end of hairloss, end of story....Still use styling products! Don't go scaring people off from using them. Used correctly they help your hair look good possibly even help make your hair look thicker. Many of the young guys coming on here, who have just started balding, have a very real possibility of halting and even reversing their hair loss using the PROVEN treatments. Threads like this just confuse people and cause people to waste valuable time in treating their condition. I have yet to see any success story stating that quitting the use of hair wax and the application of Turmeric to the scalp has reversed their hair loss.

Well I wouldnt expect cutting off the products to reverse hairloss, rather if say there is base in my theory it will just slow down the process of the person is genetically disposed to male pattern baldness.

I still use products, just organic ones:

http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/aloe-vera- ... 200ml.aspx

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
slacker86 said:

If you actually read the thread, it has nothing to do with the use of styling products or applying Tumeric topically. It's to do with inflammation. So you are kind of off-topic there.

Those "Proven" treatments have given me extreme side effects and stripped me of a lot of cash. While I realise this isn't the same for everyone I believe there are some long-term side effects to the inhibition of the 5-alpha reductase and therefore DHT. But, thats a different story...

slacker86

Reaction score
yeah I did read the thread, I appreciate what you are saying. I am also sorry if I came off us slightly brash....think I must have been staring at these boards for too long yesterday. I do believe that those who experience side effects can almost definitely improve their current condition using treatments other than the widely touted big 3. And people definitely need to explore these alternative ideas. I do fear sometimes though for the newbies, because I am a firm believer in trying the 3 big guys first.

edit: One more thing, I haven't ever experienced any itching or inflammation. Maybe, as you previously stated, those with slightly less aggressive male pattern baldness have very slight inflammation, is there anything I should be looking out for to signify this? Looking through your proposed strategy in the fight against inflammation is slightly daunting. Taking and applying those topicals and supplements would be a full time task. There must be a more simplified way of addressing the issue of inflammation. Isn't nizoral enough?

s.a.f

Reaction score
goten574 said:

Same here. Since I've always known I was going to go bald sometime even as a kid I never did anything that I thought might harm my hair. Never used gels or a hairdryer and never even risked washing it in anything other than lukewarm water. :shock:
And yet I still had noticible loss at 19 and within 10 yrs was completly bald.
Whilst other people use all kinds of products and dye and style their hair and yet it remains great. I believe there are no external factors to m.p.b its purely genetic.

G

s.a.f said:
goten574 said:

Same here. Since I've always known I was going to go bald sometime even as a kid I never did anything that I thought might harm my hair. Never used gels or a hairdryer and never even risked washing it in anything other than lukewarm water. :shock:
And yet I still had noticible loss at 19 and within 10 yrs was completly bald.
Whilst other people use all kinds of products and dye and style their hair and yet it remains great. I believe there are no external factors to m.p.b its purely genetic.

Yeah, when I was 15, I had a teacher (Mr Woods) who was bald, he said "kids, this is why you don't use hair gel" and he pointed at his bald head. I didn't think at the time that hair gel causes hair loss, nor do I think it now, but I'm sure it doesn't help which is why I never use any styling products.

Jeremy K

Reaction score
My hair loss was a very slow process that probably started in my late teens, but I really didn't notice it until I hit 24, even though through hindsight, the signs were there, I just wasn't aware of them.

Anyways, my massively thick hair slowly thinned over time, but the only time that I've lost a lot of density in a short time was April through June of 2008, and in that time my temples and crown ached so badly that I couldn't even touch them, and at times they would itch as well. It seemed like my hair would be gone within the next year, but I managed to get rid of the inflammation and the hair loss slowed again.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think we know inflammation is the real cause but the problem is the immune system is complex and not fully understood system that affects a ton of things in lots of ways we dont understand so generally you dont want to mess with it. So stepping in to stop androgens is generally going to be easier to do. Also I know people losing hair very rapidly with no itch with serious male pattern baldness, while I have the itch but its going very slowly. So I dont think its as cut and dry as you say just true in some cases but not all. If we could stop inflammation then male pattern baldness could also be stopped there but again I dont think its possible to safely do.