It's all to do with inflammation..

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think I've come to a conclusion on Androgentic Alopecia. I've come to believe that it is all to do with inflammation. The most aggressive male pattern baldness sufferer's have the worst inflammation. This is that "itch" in the thinning areas. While the people who have slower male pattern baldness might not feel any itch. That is not to say it's not there, it just isn't as aggressive.

DHT is the cause of the inflammation and inflammation is the cause of the hair loss. Chronic systemic inflammation has been found to at the root of many serious disorders, such as cardiovascular disease, asthma, arthritis, cancer, diabetes, depression and androgentic Alopecia.

Taken from male pattern baldness Reseatch.org:

""These “age related†disorders are accompanied by a pathological increase of inflammatory cytokines. Lowering pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as tumor necrosis factor –alpha, interleukin – 6, interleukin 1(B) and/or interleukin B4, could help prevent and treat many age related diseases. After several published studies, which showed that inflammation is present in androgenetic alopecia, male pattern baldness Research reported these important findings to readers, particularly stressing the need to address inflammation in any hair loss treatment approach, including our recommended protocol. Excessive levels of cytokines can be systemically and topically countered by an appropriate regimen of drugs, nutrients, dietary changes, and/or hormones. For example, fish oil has been shown to effectively lower these levels, as does DHEA, Nettle extract, GLA, and some antioxidants (vitamin E and N-acetyl cysteine). Meanwhile certain herbal extracts patented by Asian companies, Emu oil, copper peptides and ketoconazole can be used to topically partially inhibit cytokine formation. Following is an extensive analysis (in layman’s terms) that makes the connection between inflammation, and the “programmed cell death†of the hair follicle, a process known as “apoptosisâ€. It is partially based upon input from Waseda, a Japanese researcher who has been researching inflammation and androgenetic hair loss for many years. He has been able to initiate extensive hair regrowth after being a “slick bald†Norwood 5 for many years using an aggressive combination of therapies specifically designed to counter inflammation and an apoptosis factors.

TOWARDS A COMPREHENSIVE TREATMENT OF male pattern baldness

First we must recognize that hair loss is the consequence of hair cell apoptosis, or programmed cell death. Apoptosis is the final result of what is termed the caspase activation cascade. Essentially DHT, superoxide, and other free radicals damage the cell’s mitochondria, and the damaged mitochondria in turn vomits cytochrome C, which activates the caspase 9 cascade. TGF-beta and alpha activate caspase 9 around hair follicles. The activated caspase 9 propagates downstream into caspase 3. Activation of caspase 3 is thought to be a direct cause of cell apoptosis (programmed cell death) in general. What then causes a caspase activation cascade and how can one intervene in the context of hair loss?
Protein Kinase C (PKC) as an executor of apoptosis PKC isozymes are involved in the final execution of hair cell apoptosis in relation to caspase 3. What are good inhibitors of PKC? Cycloporin (dangerous), Grape Seed Extract, Resveratrol (as in red wine), Vitamin E, and N-Acetyl Cysteine. Topically, Grape Seed Extract (a patented treatment for hair loss), and Perilla Leaf Extract.
Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha (TNF-a) as a promotor of PKC and hair cell apoptosis. TNF-a induces the PKC isozymes and causes cell death through this induction. This pathway is known to be a major cause of hair loss. TNF-a is a quick acting proinflammatory cytokine, and TNF-a is over secreted in cases of rapid hair loss. How can TNF-a be safely inhibited? Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Stinging Nettle Extract, Green Tea Extract, and essential fatty acids found in fish, Emu, Borage, and Perilla oils. Topically, Perilla leaf extract may be useful.
TGF-Family as the bridge between DHT and the activation of the caspase cascade. In recent studies researchers have found DHT promotes TGF, and TGF causes activation of the caspase cascade and thus, hair cell death, which clinically manifests as male and female pattern baldness. What inhibits TGH safely, as opposed to the dangerous anti-cancer compounds? Proteolytic Enzymes such as a bromelain, and the anti-oxidant Curcumin are TGF inhibitors. Shiseido, a Japanese cosmetic company found that Amacha, a sugar alternative found in the orient has TGF inhibition properties. Dr. Sawaya’s latest study about finasteride suggests that the best hair loss prevention would involve the blocking of caspase activation, especially caspase 3. Caspase 3 is the direct cause of programmed hair cell death (apoptosis) that originates “upstreamâ€. The first triggers may be DHT damage or oxidative (free radical) stress on the mitochondria, TGF induction from DHT, TNF-A induction from allergic inflammation, or PKC upregulation by caspase activation. Here we can summarize the rationale behind the treatments of various pro-inflammatory mechanisms.

DHT inhibition- Finasteride, Saw Palmetto, Rivoflavin, Green Tea Extract, Copper Peptides, and Topical Bayberry Extract.

PKC down regulation - Grape Seed Extract, Resveratrol, Vitamin E, Soy Isoflavones.

TNF-a down regulation- Curcumin, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Stinging Nettle Extract, Green Tea Extract, Fish Oil, Borage Oil, Perilla Oil, and Topical Perilla leaf extract.

TGF down regulation- Curcumin, and topical Amacha.

Taking into account the inhibition of hair apoptosis factors, it is apparent that treatment can be taken to a new level. Again, Waseda himself is experiencing regrowth in all areas of his scalp after being a slick bald “Norwood 5†for many years.""

While we cannot fully stop the immune response, we can decrease it and thus minimize hair loss. I was informed of a study which showed two islanders in which one ate a pro-inflammatory diet and one which ate a more natural diet. The one with the more natural diet showed no signs of hair loss and the one with the "civilized" diet did. While this is in no way an impressive conclusion it is interesting. The problem isn't our diet though, it's our genetic predisposition to male pattern baldness. Our follicles are more sensitive to DHT and as it "chokes" our follicles it induces an immune response which destroys the follicle. This is the reason why Finasteride works, unfortunately we are not directly attacking the cause. I cannot clearly dwell into the science in this because I honestly don't understand it. But, it seems many others do. There have been countless references to inflammation and it's role in Androgenetic Alopecia.

Taken from Wikipedia:

""Inflammation
For more details on this topic, see Inflammation.

Inflammation is one of the first responses of the immune system to infection.[19] The symptoms of inflammation are redness and swelling, which are caused by increased blood flow into a tissue. Inflammation is produced by eicosanoids and cytokines, which are released by injured or infected cells. Eicosanoids include prostaglandins that produce fever and the dilation of blood vessels associated with inflammation, and leukotrienes that attract certain white blood cells (leukocytes).[20][21] Common cytokines include interleukins that are responsible for communication between white blood cells; chemokines that promote chemotaxis; and interferons that have anti-viral effects, such as shutting down protein synthesis in the host cell.[22] Growth factors and cytotoxic factors may also be released. These cytokines and other chemicals recruit immune cells to the site of infection and promote healing of any damaged tissue following the removal of pathogens.""

If you read over the first quote I posted, you will see that that article lowering pro-inflammatory cytokines will address the the problem more directly. This is one of the reasons why Ketoconazole in Nizoral works. It partially inhibits Cytokine formation.
This study claims that both inflammation and fibrosis play in Androgenetic Alopecia. It implies that the role played by inflammation and fibrosis is more central to hair loss than the hormonal initiators, namely DHT and Androstenedione:
http://www.hairloss-research.org/LinkUp ... e7-09.html

I understand that the thought of changing your diet is an retarded naturalist way to and male pattern baldness cure, but a regimen like in the first post could be the key:

DHT inhibition- Finasteride, Saw Palmetto, Rivoflavin, Green Tea Extract, Copper Peptides, and Topical Bayberry Extract.

PKC down regulation - Grape Seed Extract, Resveratrol, Vitamin E, Soy Isoflavones.

TNF-a down regulation- Curcumin, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Stinging Nettle Extract, Green Tea Extract, Fish Oil, Borage Oil, Perilla Oil, and Topical Perilla leaf extract.

TGF down regulation- Curcumin, and topical Amacha.

I realise though that this will not be enough to help me, because my hair loss is premature as I have a high predeposition to Androgentic Alopecia. But for people who have less aggressive hair loss it could really help. Do your own research on inflammation and it's role in Male Pattern Baldness and discover for yourself.

I saw a decrease in inflammation when using a much smaller version of this regimen. Unsurprisingly, I also saw a decrease in hair loss. In this regimen I had not included any DHT-inhibiting properties. The problem was my anti-inflammatory regimen was not potent enough. I hope to upgrade soon.
Another reason I like to promote this anti-inflammatory regimen is because there are so many other illnesses caused my this, serious disorders such as cardiovascular disease, asthma, arthritis, cancer, diabetes, depression and androgentic Alopecia. Olive oil and the Mediterranean Diet is an anti-inflammatory diet. The longest living woman in the world claimed she used olive oil for everything, on her skin and hair and in her food. She hadn't lost any of her hair at 122. Interesting...

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just a typo I guess, it was taken from an article.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Finfighter,

Yeah, there's several posts that pop up the odd time. Unfortunately after that they fade. Have you tried a anti-inflammatory approach?

The only problem with that is the fact that "MisterE" states that it is the diet that directly influences inflammation. I believe that diet really only effects Androgenetic Alopecia by boosting DHT and insulin levels therefore for those predisposed to Androgenetic Alopecia will increase hair loss. But it is not the diets cause, diet would just be an extra burden. You are born with sensitive follicles and DHT causes the... then inflammation occurs and this is what destroys the follicle, not DHT. DHT just causes inflammation.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
decro435 said:
Just a typo I guess, it was taken from an article.

Ah ok.

that was a good read decro435. Thanks for posting that.

No worries man.

Cassin said:
by the way....those that are into the inflammation theory of thought should begin reading from Dr Weil.

http://www.drweil.com/

He peaches an anti inflammatory lifestyle and he has me somewhat convinced its the way to go.

Cheers, had never heard of him before. It does seem like reducing inflammation can be beneficial for health and vitality. Maybe even longevity.

finfighter said:
decro435 said:
Hey Finfighter,

Yeah, there's several posts that pop up the odd time. Unfortunately after that they fade. Have you tried a anti-inflammatory approach?

The only problem with that is the fact that "MisterE" states that it is the diet that directly influences inflammation. I believe that diet really only effects Androgenetic Alopecia by boosting DHT and insulin levels therefore for those predisposed to Androgenetic Alopecia will increase hair loss. But it is not the diets cause, diet would just be an extra burden. You are born with sensitive follicles and DHT causes the... then inflammation occurs and this is what destroys the follicle, not DHT. DHT just causes inflammation.

Well, I don't completely agree with ''MisterE'' either. Oubviously there's much more to male pattern baldness than diet alone. Inflamation can lead to cell death, however I also believe that DHT triggers cell death directly, and is not always dependant upon inflamation alone.

Well there's another theory, this is probably the most general one. I can't dis-prove it and I can't prove the inflammation theory either. Guess until more studies are done we might be able to distinguish whether male pattern baldness is directly caused by DHT or Inflammation.

ph1

Reaction score
decro435, I very much agree with what you're saying. I'm 19 (nearly 20) and have been losing my hair slowly since around 16. Since December this year my head start itching and my hair loss increased massively. I started using Nizoral 1% in March and it pretty much stopped the itching but my hair has continued to thin. I've read some people have said they've lost hair using Nizoral so i'm not sure if it's that or still just general loss. Do you think it's more important to fight the inflammation internally?

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ph1 said:
decro435, I very much agree with what you're saying. I'm 19 (nearly 20) and have been losing my hair slowly since around 16. Since December this year my head start itching and my hair loss increased massively. I started using Nizoral 1% in March and it pretty much stopped the itching but my hair has continued to thin. I've read some people have said they've lost hair using Nizoral so i'm not sure if it's that or still just general loss. Do you think it's more important to fight the inflammation internally?

Yes, see that verifies the fact that the younger you are the worse your inflammation is. Unfortuenately, it is hard to distinguish whether it is actually DHT destroying the follicle, Inflammation destroying the follicle or a combination of both. Nizoral won't be enough to combat inflammation. But it does help. I'm still searching for a strong anti-inflammation regimen in hope to see results. I would agree that inflammation would have to be combated internally and externally. I used Olive oil topically for a few weeks before I actually started looking into this anti-inflammatory regimen only to find that it actually completely stopped the inflammation while it was applied topically. It couldn't be put on your hair during the day though because it look's retarded. But since it is meant to be an anti-inflammatory that's most likely the reason why it worked.

One experiment I would like to see is the use of aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen in a hair loss context. Would the topical use of anti-inflammatory drugs like these work in combating Androgenetic Alopecia? I don't know, because I don't understand the mechanisms in which they work..
Also, I've seen a few threads of sufferer's saying their hair has got better since using drugs such as cannabis. This is possibly because of their anti-inflammatory properties, Cannabichromene, one of the many cannabinoids present in the cannabis plant, has been shown to reduce inflammation.
Cucurmin has recently been seen to promote Hair growth. It is shown that Tumeric is an anti-inflammatory and Cucurmin is it's active ingredient.

The only way I can see us coming to a conclusion on whether or not inflammation is the real culprit for destroying the follicle as opposed to DHT releasing growth supressing chemicals is if we have a young pre-mature Androgenetic Alopecia sufferer who completely devotes his regimen to anti-inflammatories. I expect though it is impossible to completely eradicate inflammation.
The slowest male pattern baldness sufferers don't even feel the itch, yet the inflammation is there on a cellular level. The smaller the inflammation the less hair loss. My head is being raped by inflammation and I have very aggressive male pattern baldness. Inflammation doesn't mean swelling and red skin.

Also, many known "natural" treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia have anti-inflammatory properties which could easily be the reason for why they work. You know the way you see the odd poster popping up claiming to have regrown their hair from a natural diet? Or from Aloe Vera, Green Tea etc. Well maybe they did..
Many of these herbs, supplements, vitamins and minerals have strong anti-inflammatory properties. For example:

- The two main actives from licorice are glabridin and licochalcone A which both have anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory properties

- The active ingredients of interest in Aloe Vera are salicyclic acid, magnesium lactate and gel polysaccharides. Typical properties include aloe vera’s anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antipruritic (see AAD: pruritus), wound healing and anti-oxidant effects.

- Curcumin is the active compound in Turmeric, and is responsible for the yellow pigment. Curcumin has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and chemoprotective properties that means it is is suitable for topcial inflammatory conditions and wound healing. Sadly, even though circumin improves epithelialization and wound contraction, the colour and odour limits its applicability to topicals, especially those applied to the face.
-http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateCurcumin4-09.html
-http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateCurcuminYetMoreEvidence4-09.html

I could post a lot more, but it wouldn't make much of a difference. Other's like Green Tea, Tea Tree and Lavender also have powerful anti-inflammatory properties.

I believe that Finasteride is quite a good treatment, unfortuenately out bodies do need it. Who know what it is needed for later in life, but if it is present it is clearly important. Especially, in younger teenagers(19) like myself, who find out the hard way that it is so important. I'm starting to believe that Finasteride only works because it indirectly inhibits the inflammation caused by DHT. The problem is that if DHT is not inhibited, then inflammation will keep occuring. Therefore a regimen of a DHT-inhibitor, anti-inflammatories and a diet rich in omega-3 fatty oils would be best. The inuit people basically feed on fish and it has been shown that they have hardly any incidences of cardiovascular disease. I believe that if a study was done on their hair, it would yield similar results.

ph1

Reaction score
decro435 said:
One experiment I would like to see is the use of aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen in a hair loss context. Would the topical use of anti-inflammatory drugs like these work in combating Androgenetic Alopecia? I don't know, because I don't understand the mechanisms in which they work..
Also, I've seen a few threads of sufferer's saying their hair has got better since using drugs such as cannabis. This is possibly because of their anti-inflammatory properties, Cannabichromene, one of the many cannabinoids present in the cannabis plant, has been shown to reduce inflammation.
Cucurmin has recently been seen to promote Hair growth. It is shown that Tumeric is an anti-inflammatory and Cucurmin is it's active ingredient.

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago when using some ibuprofen gel for an injury. Would it be more effective than Nizoral or any other ketoconazole based anti-inflammatory shampoo?

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Curcumin is good stuff. I'm sorta confused about what inflammation of the scalp actually is but all I know is I used to have a lot of scalp flaking and redness at my front hairline where its thinning out (it was always particulalrly bad after coming out of the shower) but having started Curcumin and Ecklonia Cava at the same time three weeks ago it has all but disappeared. Literally only a couple of flakes now, if anything, and when I massage my scalp now it feels less tight overall. Hopefully this all means my inflammation is reduced and I'll see some positive results in a few months.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nashville Hairline said:
Curcumin is good stuff. I'm sorta confused about what inflammation of the scalp actually is but all I know is I used to have a lot of scalp flaking and redness at my front hairline where its thinning out (it was always particulalrly bad after coming out of the shower) but having started Curcumin and Ecklonia Cava at the same time three weeks ago it has all but disappeared. Literally only a couple of flakes now, if anything, and when I massage my scalp now it feels less tight overall. Hopefully this all means my inflammation is reduced and I'll see some positive results in a few months.

That's great, what else are you using?

ph1 said:
decro435 said:

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago when using some ibuprofen gel for an injury. Would it be more effective than Nizoral or any other ketoconazole based anti-inflammatory shampoo?

I don't have a clue. I honestly don't understand the mechanisms of any anti-inflammatory, I would like to see someone attempt this, but they would need to be aggressive male pattern baldness sufferers so we could view the results ourselves.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
decro435 said:

Its all in the 'My Regimen' thingy below my posts. I also take Green Tea caps. Lots of stuff with anti-inflammatory claims!

Paracetemol is synthesized from Coal Tar, I think? I wonder why that isn't used much as a shampoo here? Those brown bottles. Its dirt cheap too, about half the price of nizoral. Maybe it has some of the anti-inflammatory properties of the drug?

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nashville Hairline said:
decro435 said:

Its all in the 'My Regimen' thingy below my posts. I also take Green Tea caps. Lots of stuff with anti-inflammatory claims!

Paracetemol is synthesized from Coal Tar, I think? I wonder why that isn't used much as a shampoo here? Those brown bottles. Its dirt cheap too, about half the price of nizoral. Maybe it has some of the anti-inflammatory properties of the drug?

Well done man, how has your inflammation been?

As for the coal tar, it is widely used here. T/Gel has coal tar as it's active ingredient. It is great for reducing inflammation, I use it in rotation with Nizoral. Here's a link on how Coal tar interacts with the Androgenetic Alopecia process, posted by Michael Barry not so long ago:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=52780
One thing that would put me off using coal tar would be it's rumoured carciogenic effects. Though, I'm pretty sure that the amount in T/Gel would be no where near the amount required to make it dangerous.

Anyways, about your regimen, have you felt an impact with Cucurmin?. It really seems like a impressive addition to any hair loss regimen. I've read countless studies about it. Also, Have you ever considered replacing your Cod Liver oil with Krill oil?. According to several articles it claims that Krill oil is 48 times more potent than fish oils.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
This is really interesting to myself as I also get really bad itch and well.. the skin feels hard but looks okay visually, this is only on the crown where I'm also having the real problems with my hair.

I am interested with the curcumin/tumeric.

However it is listed here as causing alopecia and a lowering of blood pressure on tests on animals.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-turmeric.html

It's also listed as theoretically making your bodies immune system dependant on constant uptake.

So I wonder, but reading Nashville Hairline's post I'm gonna try some for a short while and see if it has any obvious effect over a month or so.

Thanks for the post =]

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
if there is any hair loss in your family that is the cause of course.
Of course, yes.

This is another thing that annoys me as I have no family history of baldness, for as long as we could track (3 generations both sides).

However it must be kept in mind a gene can fail to be passed on many times and just be dormant or whatnot..

Even without any family history I do believe my hair issues to be hormone related, as I have many many common symptoms of increased T/DHT levels. Also although it's diffuse my hair loss is only on the top of my head.

It's unrelated but I have never seen it confirmed of whether the genetic issue for people with male pattern baldness is that they create too much DHT 5ar, or that they are fated to have very sensitive hair follicles, even if they have 'normal' hormone levels. Or are both these conditions possiblly received through genetics but are different? Just wondering..

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
decro435 said:
Hey Finfighter,

I do not buy the theory that claims hair follicles are sensitive to D.H.T. because D.H.T. is the main androgen in every part of the body except the muscle. The muscles main androgen is testosterone. Diet directly controls insulin and prostaglandins. Insulin is sometimes referred to as the master hormone. If insulin levels are screwy chances are all other hormones are off balance as well. It is the hormonal imbalance that causes inflammation and inflammation is the immune system response. So to break down my theory in simpler terms: Bad diet causes prostaglandin and insulin upset. Prostaglandin and insulin upset causes hormonal imbalance, which causes immune system imbalance. The unbalanced immune system begins to attack itself for whatever reason resulting in inflammatory diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, and balding. This is why I believe M.P.B. is so difficult to understand, it is a multi step system starting with (1) genetic predisposition; (2) diet, environment, and lifestyle; (3) hormones; (4) the immune system; (5) microscopic inflammation. Chances are there are a few steps I missed or have gone unnoticed such as: why the unbalanced immune system attacks itself? Obviously you cannot change step (1) but the other four steps you can change, and these are the ones crucial to success.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Well done man, how has your inflammation been?

As for the coal tar, it is widely used here. T/Gel has coal tar as it's active ingredient. It is great for reducing inflammation, I use it in rotation with Nizoral. Here's a link on how Coal tar interacts with the Androgenetic Alopecia process, posted by Michael Barry not so long ago:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=52780
One thing that would put me off using coal tar would be it's rumoured carciogenic effects. Though, I'm pretty sure that the amount in T/Gel would be no where near the amount required to make it dangerous.

Anyways, about your regimen, have you felt an impact with Cucurmin?. It really seems like a impressive addition to any hair loss regimen. I've read countless studies about it. Also, Have you ever considered replacing your Cod Liver oil with Krill oil?. According to several articles it claims that Krill oil is 48 times more potent than fish oils.
Pretty good - like I say, no more snowfall of flakes or itching in my front hairline and overall scalp feels less tight.
It could be either the Curcumin or the Ecklonia Cava extract that have done this or the combination of the two but the claims about the Curcumin make me think that its the culprit.

I'd have liked to have gone for the Krill Oil but the Curcumin and EC are expensive enough I had to go for plain ol' Cod Liver Oil to keep costs down

BCM-95 is the best Curcumin to go for as its absorbed greater by one's system

Interesting article from this very site
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-n ... cle249.php
it doesn't reach a conclusion whether inflammation is part of the problem of male pattern baldness or just a by-product of it though.