Itch From Finasteride, Normal Or Bad Reaction?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this tingly itch in scalp and still had a good response from Finasteride? i have read some bad reports about the itch not being a good thing.

Its definitely in the areas thats thinning so its gotta be DHT related right?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Neddy the itch is PROBABLY nothing to worry about. Although i get it too and im not responding well i dont think it has much to do with propecia. Have you considered it could be inflammation? Do you use nizoral? When i used nizoral it took the itch away for me!

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do have some nozoral which I only used once and I felt like my hair looked very thin after I used it so I didn't use it again.

I wasn't taking finasteride at that time though.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok well I washed my hair with nozoral today (left it on a little while before washing) and I can't say it stopped the itch :(

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone had this tingly itch in scalp and still had a good response from Finasteride? i have read some bad reports about the itch not being a good thing.

Its definitely in the areas thats thinning so its gotta be DHT related right?
instead of scratching when I get that itch I grab my dermaroller and use it on my scalp to relieve my itch then put minoxidil foam which has alcohol in it and it burns like a b**ch but no more itch.

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Got this as well (increased itch and shedding) after starting. It got less and went away after a few months.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you lose alot of hair in that time and did it grow back?

Last edited:

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I notice that the itch occurs in periods through out the day so this morning i had some irritational itch and through out the afternoon i didn't have it.

I have for the last few months been using emu and castor oil with rosemary and peppermint oil and i ain't fully sure if it helps the itch or not. i think it might but i also think it leaves the odd irritated little bumps after too.

And i been using these oils for months and i think they only had this irritated bumps effect once i started finasteride. but then i didn't get the itch before taking it either.

This itch and sped up receding hairline doesn't seem healthy and i haven't read enough people (if any) who have given me reason to think receding is a hopeful sign that something good could come out of it. if so please do let me know.

It seems like receding is the death of hair and not making room for new hair :/

My Side effects from taking finasteride seem to be less semen, itchy scalp, i think weaker erections but i don't think my body hair has changed (infact i am a tad worried it might have got thicker)

My libido has been abit up and down lately, the last few days its spiked about 6pm onwards and everytime that happens i worry that taking finasteride is tipping the scale the opposite direction.

I feel like i have 3 options at this point

*wait until sunday to see if the itch goes away and if not then stop taking finasteride and try to look for a different hair loss method (who knows what that would be though)

*keep taking it and just hope for the best while watching it get worse...

*i am currently only taking half a 1mg tablet so maybe i should start taking a full one and see what happens, even though i don't want to keep changes doses like that.

Last edited:

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Saturday - Hairline is getting worse by the day.

Itch has calmed down a abit but that might be because of the oils i am using... but id rather the itch stopped because the issue is fixed rather then just finding a way to numb the itch and not fix the issue at hand

My scalp feels irritated around the tickly area.

think i am gonna drive myself crazy with the decision to stop or keep going.