Isopropyl Vs Citrus Spray To Release Hair System, Spray All Over Or Just Edges?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about releasing an all lace hair system. So far I have been using citrus spray, spraying it all over and waiting for a few minutes, then dabbing methylated spirits on the edges using cotton wool before gently pulling the system off my head.

I have now got some 99.9% Isopropyl and would like to try using it. Is it safe to spray it all over the system while attached, and for how long should I wait until I pull it off? Or should I just dab it on the edges? I read that for Walker Tape release spray you spray it all over then wait, so is that ok for pure Isopropyl?

Finally, do you think citrus spray or Isopropyl is best? I have read that citrus is best for skin systems, whereas Isopropyl is best for lace systems?

Which of these do you prefer for cleaning your scalp and getting the tape off the system?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about releasing an all lace hair system. So far I have been using citrus spray, spraying it all over and waiting for a few minutes, then dabbing methylated spirits on the edges using cotton wool before gently pulling the system off my head.

I have now got some 99.9% Isopropyl and would like to try using it. Is it safe to spray it all over the system while attached, and for how long should I wait until I pull it off? Or should I just dab it on the edges? I read that for Walker Tape release spray you spray it all over then wait, so is that ok for pure Isopropyl?

Finally, do you think citrus spray or Isopropyl is best? I have read that citrus is best for skin systems, whereas Isopropyl is best for lace systems?

Which of these do you prefer for cleaning your scalp and getting the tape off the system?

In my opinion..... I would use alcohol ....91% is fine through the lace and let it sit on the adhesive a few minutes. Next gently attempt to lift it up.... if you need to add more alcohol do so.... be careful but how easy or hard it is to come off will dictate how much solvent to use and where to place it. 99% alcohol is great if to extend/readjust the position on a new install and good for final wipe before an install.... but other than that it's really a waste to use as a cleaner. 91% cleans just as well.

I am not a fan of citrus-based cleaner's such as c22. They work well but quite obviously are very oily. You would have to be extremely meticulous with regard to cleaning anything it's touched as it will interfere with future Bond.

For cleaning your scalp and bio hair.... I have tried Bond breaker from Walker and pl5 from professional hair labs $25 each. Neither worked well.... the pl5 says to use regular shampoo four times afterwards....that's kind of crazy...
The thing I found that works the best is Protouch scalp cleaner sold on the hair direct website. Only $11 and works great!

Noah

Reaction score
I prefer alcohol too. In fact the active ingredient in C22 is alcohol anyway - it is basically just alcohol and scent.

Rather than spraying it on the system, I find it is better to put the alcohol in a squeezable plastic bottle with a long narrow nozzle - like an American mustard bottle or an old Sriracha bottle. You can use the long nozzle to deliver the alcohol to precisely where it is needed - to drench the area of the lace mesh above where the adhesive is - without getting it all over the hair.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I prefer alcohol too. In fact the active ingredient in C22 is alcohol anyway - it is basically just alcohol and scent.

Rather than spraying it on the system, I find it is better to put the alcohol in a squeezable plastic bottle with a long narrow nozzle - like an American mustard bottle or an old Sriracha bottle. You can use the long nozzle to deliver the alcohol to precisely where it is needed - to drench the area of the lace mesh above where the adhesive is - without getting it all over the hair.
C22 is oil based......No alcohol...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200110-204828_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200110-204828_Chrome.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 132

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
99% alcohol is great if to extend/readjust the position on a new install

Yeh, I've seen a product called 'positioning spray' that gives you a bit of time to position your hair system before the bond takes effect, which seems like a good little product because positioning can be tricky at times with tape sticking before you've got the system in the right place. I was told that 'positioning spray' is just Isopropyl with a fragrance added to it. Does pure Isopropyl work just the same for this?

If so, do I just spray it over the tape and adhesive before positioning the system? Won't that cause the tape to come off or the adhesive to break down? I mean if spraying Isopropyl on the bond/tape breaks it down, how is it going to set/stick again after positioning? Does the alcohol evaporate/dissipate after a certain period of time or something? I'm just trying to understand how this would work.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks, that's a really good tip actually!

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeh, I've seen a product called 'positioning spray' that gives you a bit of time to position your hair system before the bond takes effect, which seems like a good little product because positioning can be tricky at times with tape sticking before you've got the system in the right place. I was told that 'positioning spray' is just Isopropyl with a fragrance added to it. Does pure Isopropyl work just the same for this?

If so, do I just spray it over the tape and adhesive before positioning the system? Won't that cause the tape to come off or the adhesive to break down? I mean if spraying Isopropyl on the bond/tape breaks it down, how is it going to set/stick again after positioning? Does the alcohol evaporate/dissipate after a certain period of time or something? I'm just trying to understand how this would work.
Ideally I would say not to use up a positioning spray which is indeed just isopropyl alcohol and fragrance. But if you really need it in order to position the unit... 1 or 2 squirts of 99% alcohol on the base and scalp will allow you to position... 99% is important because there is no water or only 1%. It will evaporate and allow the glue to dry and secure almost like it was never there.... I think ultimately it has to reduce the longevity of the hold but only by a small degree... say if you were going to get 14 days you might only get 12 or 13.....

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ideally I would say not to use up a positioning spray which is indeed just isopropyl alcohol and fragrance. But if you really need it in order to position the unit... 1 or 2 squirts of 99% alcohol on the base and scalp will allow you to position... 99% is important because there is no water or only 1%. It will evaporate and allow the glue to dry and secure almost like it was never there.... I think ultimately it has to reduce the longevity of the hold but only by a small degree... say if you were going to get 14 days you might only get 12 or 13.....

When I switched to Noah's method for tape attachment, and sprayed the "positioning tape" with alcohol, I found that it has NO effect on the length of time of the bond.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I switched to Noah's method for tape attachment, and sprayed the "positioning tape" with alcohol, I found that it has NO effect on the length of time of the bond.
It would be hard to notice a 1/14th of a difference.... if you sweat or are in the Sun/heat those will affect hold times as well.... quite obviously the amount of isopropyl alcohol applied would be a major factor too. I agree it's not a night and day difference ....but applying water 1-9%... (91-99% isopropyl alcohol ) has to affect the duration of the hold, albeit minimally. This is why they advise against sweating and ensuring the scalp is completely dry when you apply adhesives :)

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

With the lace front and PU rim will I be applying alcohol and gradually working my way towards the back as the tape releases? I'm assuming the alcohol will not penetrate through the poly rim.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I tried the Isopropyl yesterday for removal and it worked great. It was the easiest removal yet. I just sprayed some over the system, waited about 5 minutes, then it was easy to detach.

I was also wondering, I've heard that alcohol dries hair out so presumably the Isopropyl that you spray on the system to release it must then be washed off soon afterwards, or at least brushed out? Is there any possibility that it could damage the hair or lace on the system due to the high alcohol content? I always hear a lot of people saying that it's better not to use too many styling products with alcohol in them as this will have a drying effect on hair, so how come it's safe to put Isopropyl on hair systems if that's the case?

Do you think it's safe to use for cleaning the scalp too? (It seems to work ok for me and doesn't cause any irritation).

Thanks.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It evaporates, and you wash the system after you remove it anyway. And then you condition the hair, replenishing anything the alcohol may have dried out.

Alcohol based gels, etc., sit on the hair for hours... days, that is more damaging.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
C22 can't be used on the head, because it will just flow down finally and make you dirty. Alcohol on the other hand evaporates even if it drips down on your body and Hairdirect's Cleanskin gel stays exactly where you put it. In addition, it breaks down the glue inbetween bio hair such that the hair doesn't pull out from the scalp. C22 is meant for soaking the unit and this is what I use it for (changing to charcoal lighter fluid, though).

Now trying as well not to use alcohol for correct alignment. If that really makes the bond longer, it's worth it. But you probably need to be quite skilled to be able to align the system without it.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
C22 & other Citrus-based adhesive removers are for the birds. I'm pretty sure they're just mineral oil, with a citrus scent.

Alcohol is by far the best way to get tape off the base of a system, while oily products work much, much faster at breaking down glue.

Consequently, with glue, I've tried a variety of options, all of which work. C22 and Olive Oil work equally well, except the latter washes out far more easily.

Hair conditioner takes a bit more work than oil, but of course, is less of a b**ch to deal with.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, and as far as repositioning spray is concerned, 91% alcohol works perfectly. 99 evaporates too quickly IMO.