Isn’t Follica Supposed To Be Out In The Next 1-2 Years?

THALL

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't get it. Follica is supposed to create new hair, but what after that? Won't the new hairs fall out, or are they immune to MBP? Do you need to keep applying minoxidil forever, and what about min non responders?

SheddieMurphy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't get it. Follica is supposed to create new hair, but what after that? Won't the new hairs fall out, or are they immune to MBP? Do you need to keep applying minoxidil forever, and what about min non responders?

sssshhhhhh! it is proven to work because one study from x years ago where one guy created 14 wispy hairs on his head by butchering it!

Reactions: H

H

Reaction score
Follica is taking an old technique that men have used to try and regrow their hair which apparently hasn't sufficed but they are going to capitalize and make money on it. Kinda like how we've been making peanut butter and jelly sands forever and now some company puts them both in the same jar and makes money.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't get it. Follica is supposed to create new hair, but what after that?

Its treatment is based on trying to generate an "embryonic window" in a series of slight injuries, creating new follicles from epithelial stem cells

Won't the new hairs fall out, or are they immune to MBP?

It is likely that as it is regenerated skin, it will delay reacting to the androgenic effect. At least that’s what Cotsarelis commented that he expects. I think that in the long term at least a topical antiandrogen will be necessary, that is my opinion i really dont know for sure

Do you need to keep applying minoxidil forever, and what about min non responders?

It is a very good question. I think so, some recent studies showed that the number of responders increases considerably in the groups that combine minoxidil with the dermaroller.

One possible explanation to this could be that the the stratum corneum is a barrier to drug diffusion across the epidermis. Application of the dermaroller perforates the epidermis, allowing drug passage through the stratum corneum and into the capillaries.

Last edited:

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One piece of advice I can give you is to look for clinical studies that support the Skin disruption + minoxidil.

There is also a lot of interesting material that comes from the anecdotal cases of this forum and others.

Also, if you are very bald, do not get so excited about this. All the evidence so far indicates that it be more effective in the NW2 - 4 range, especially if your baldness is of a diffuse type

THALL

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its treatment is based on trying to generate an "embryonic window" in a series of slight injuries, creating new follicles from epithelial stem cells

It is likely that as it is regenerated skin, it will delay reacting to the androgenic effect. At least that’s what Cotsarelis commented that he expects. I think that in the long term at least a topical antiandrogen will be necessary, at least that is my opinion

It is a very good question. I think so, some recent studies showed that the number of responders increases considerably in the groups that combine minoxidil with the dermaroller.

One possible explanation to this could be that the the stratum corneum is a barrier to drug diffusion across the epidermis. Application of the dermaroller perforates the epidermis, allowing drug passage through the stratum corneum and into the capillaries.
Thank you so much for the extensive response. Didn't know Cots expects the new hair to have a delayed response to MBP. That surely gets my hopes up about Follica.

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been really hard for me to grasp why people have believed in Follica, tbh.
It all started back in 2006 and, twelve years later, RAIN is still in phase II/III.
Even worse, we've been let know that by Follica's approach we can get only 25 new hair follicles per cm² and 75 vellus hairs. That's one tenth of the average hair density. Yay!
C'mon, guyz, it's gonna be another disappointment if it ever reaches to the market.

THALL

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One piece of advice I can give you is to look for clinical studies that support the Skin disruption + minoxidil.

There is also a lot of interesting material that comes from the anecdotal cases of this forum and others.

Also, if you are very bald, do not get so excited about this. All the evidence so far indicates that it be more effective in the NW2 - 4 range, especially if your baldness is of a diffuse type
I'm a NW2 approaching NW3. I just hope I'll stop there just like my father, I have his pattern and the other males in my family are all diffuse thinners.

SheddieMurphy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It all started back in 2006 and, twelve years later, RAIN is still in phase II/III.
Even worse, we've been let know that by Follica's approach we can get only 25 new hair follicles per cm² and 75 vellus hairs. That's one tenth of the average hair density. Yay!
C'mon, guyz, it's gonna be another disappointment if it ever reaches to the market.

it will never come close to the market, mark my words. it would just be an unprecedented embarrassment for the entire company.

THALL

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wasn't it said that you start to notice thinning only when you lose 50% of your hair? If so even 60 hairs per cm2 can accomplish the job

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a NW2 approaching NW3. I just hope I'll stop there just like my father, I have his pattern and the other males in my family are all diffuse thinners.

I was in a situation similar to yours. In November last year I started using dermarolling 1.5 mm twice a week and it worked very well, little by little, recovering ground and covering the "holes" LOL

I was really surprised to see hair in places I had not seen for years and more considering that I had previously used minoxidil without success

There are a lot of success stories, it's a matter of investigating a little

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You need to do some research, man.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It works like this:
Them. Hay guys I can develop a goose that lays golden eggs i just need some research money to get us off the ground:
Us. Sure here's a million squid, when will we see the goose?
Them. Give me 3-5 years.
6 years later
Us. Where the goose?
Them. Were are just going through stage 2, oh by the way need anther 5 million squid
Us. Ok how long before we see the goose
Them. Give me 3-5 years
Us. Ok but this time we want to see results
4 years later
Us. Where is the goose?
Them. We are getting close just entering stage 3 testing, oh by the way need another 10 million squid to get past stage 3
Us. Ok but we want to see results
Them. Oh, erm, look at this is a picture of a gram of gold it produced.
Us. Wow ok here is 10 million squid how long before we see the goose?
Them. Yeah give us another 3 years!
5 years later
Us. Where is the goose! We need the goose!
Them. Ah yeah the goose. Here it is!
Us. That's just a goose! What about the golden eggs?
Them. Sorry we have stopped developing that. Do you want invest in a wallet that always has 1000 squid in it? Only need a million squid for research money to get us off the ground
Us. Ok go on then!

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure, I am wrong, you is right. You know better. Sure.

So it seems, friend.

What I do give you the reason is that they took longer than we would have liked and had no luck with the Lithium Gluconate to reinforce what they had achieved with the wounding.

But the main reason was quite simple: Puretech had no money. Luckily that changed and they have not stopped growing since they entered the stock market of Great Britain

If it were you I would take the trouble to get these studies

Stem Cells
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1021949817301874
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16616298

Mouse
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature05766

Humans
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746236/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29028377

With that you should cover some bases

Kudos

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It works like this:
Them. Hay guys I can develop a goose that lays golden eggs i just need some research money to get us off the ground:
Them. Give me 3-5 years.
6 years later
Us. Where the goose?
Them. Were are just going through stage 2, oh by the way need anther 5 million squid
Them. Give me 3-5 years
4 years later
Us. Where is the goose?
Them. We are getting close just entering stage 3 testing, oh by the way need another 10 million squid to get past stage 3
5 years later
Them. Sorry we have stopped developing that. Do you want invest in a wallet that always has 1000 squid in it? Only need a million squid for research money to get us off the ground
Us. Ok go on then!

Wow you are so smart, man. Lucky we have you to open our eyes

SheddieMurphy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It works like this:
Them. Give me 3-5 years.
6 years later
Us. Where the goose?
Them. Give me 3-5 years
4 years later
Us. Where is the goose?
5 years later
Us. Ok go on then!

200w.gif

this. its not about reaching your goal and creating a product as soon as you can, its about financing yourself for the next 15 years by doing "r&d" and "expecting to start a trial in 6 months". all you need is a plausible theoretical basis for a product and some bullshitting skills.

optimization study, lol. like treating a number of people with a simple technique requires months of work on optimizing parametres of conducting a study/trial.

Last edited:

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So it seems, friend.

What I do give you the reason is that they took longer than we would have liked and had no luck with the Lithium Gluconate to reinforce what they had achieved with the wounding.

But the main reason was quite simple: Puretech had no money. Luckily that changed and they have not stopped growing since they entered the stock market of Great Britain

If it were you I would take the trouble to get these studies

Stem Cells
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1021949817301874
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16616298

Mouse
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature05766

Humans
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746236/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29028377

With that you should cover some bases

Kudos
Dude, I never said that wounding + minoxidil is crap. I just said the results are to be disappointing. 25 hairs per sq. cm is subpar, isn't it?

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, I never said that wounding + minoxidil is crap. I just said the results are to be disappointing. 25 hairs per sq. cm is subpar, isn't it?

That number was taken out of context at the time and many people today associated with the efficacy of the treatment

Now, what will this first iteration of Follica consist of? minoxidil and a selected modality of skin disruption, or more than one.

If you read the studies in humans you will see that the numbers of hair per sq. expected could be significantly higher, and that is why Follica will kick *** especially compared to previous drugs, snake oils, brotions, etc

Do your homework fella

Last edited: