Isn't Dutasteride Just Better Drug Than Finasteride?

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
I readed on dutasteride as a hair loss medication and from what I understood, taking dutasteride once a week have better potency(I readed that 0.1 mg dutasteride reduce more DHT than 5 mg finasteride) than taking finasteride every day so its means better results with less of a hassle. but from some reason almost all I heard about dutasteride(mostly from google search results) is about the side effects and about how much is bad which is more or less the same thing I experienced from searching on finasteride before I began using it.

dutasteride even got approved as a hair loss medication in very advanced countries like south korea and japan. and its not like the Japanese and south Korean doctors/scientists are less professional than other doctors/scientists like the ones from the FDA, they are simply more serious in giving serious treatment for this horrible disease.

I really don't get it how some erection problems(not even complete incapability of having erection and reaching orgasm) drive so many people away from a superior drug and even from normal doses of finasteride and are willing to lose some hair and use an endless list of topical medications just to keep what is left from their hair. and the worst thing is that it seems to affect the people who are suppose to approve this superior medication for hair loss.

what do you think? am I wrong? I don't think I miss something about the side effects and it looks like the side effects are nothing but some mild erection problems.

Dontwannabeabetabob

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anecdotally the only side effect I've experienced from dutasteride so far was the first week I felt fatigued, but it went away. Still have a sky high libido, vein popping erections, and I shoot a nice load. Oh, I also got most of my hair back and I'm still improving. dutasteride and minoxidil is a killer combo. That being said, do your homework on it; assess the pros and cons. Keep in mind that the half life for Dutasteride is longer than finasteride.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
the sides you will experiment with duta and fina depends on your genetic and how your body will handle DHT reduction and oestrogen raise
for some it is nothing , and for other even a slight increase in oestradiol can cause gyno .
Mix it with 90 % of DHT reduction and it is over .

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
the sides you will experiment with duta and fina depends on your genetic and how your body will handle DHT reduction and oestrogen raise
for some it is nothing , and for other even a slight increase in oestradiol can cause gyno .
Mix it with 90 % of DHT reduction and it is over .
I have a relatively flat chest with a little gyno after almost a year on antiandrogens and 1-1.5 month on Diane 35 (strongest estrogen). I don't even think I would need a gyno surgery. Maybe I am just lucky in that regard.

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/propecia-finasteride-and-body-fat.14129/

Duta fucks with your lever, insulin and body fat

finasteride doesnt

If you google a little bit more there will be probably some other disadvantages

This why u try finasteride first

chance of gyno are higher

alcohol probably does more damage to the lever and body fat and Gynecomastia(in mild cases) can both be treated with good diet and exercise. dutasteride is still a way better drug than finasteride.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anecdotally the only side effect I've experienced from dutasteride so far was the first week I felt fatigued, but it went away. Still have a sky high libido, vein popping erections, and I shoot a nice load. Oh, I also got most of my hair back and I'm still improving. dutasteride and minoxidil is a killer combo. That being said, do your homework on it; assess the pros and cons. Keep in mind that the half life for Dutasteride is longer than finasteride.

Did you switch from Finasteride to dutasteride or started with dutasteride right off the bat? How long did it take for you to see results on dutasteride?

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually this is incorrect information, 0.1mg of Dutasteride taken daily or one 0.5mg pill every 5 days has about the same DHT reduction as Finasteride daily. Dutasteride at one 0.5mg pill once a week would be about 0.07mg daily and would actually be less effective at DHT reduction than taking Finasteride daily.
you still can reduce more DHT with dutasteride without taking it everyday. 1 mg(it can be taken in one day?) dutasteride a week is better than taking finasteride everyday. and its make it a better hair loss medication than finasteride.

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually this is incorrect information, 0.1mg of Dutasteride taken daily or one 0.5mg pill every 5 days has about the same DHT reduction as Finasteride daily. Dutasteride at one 0.5mg pill once a week would be about 0.07mg daily and would actually be less effective at DHT reduction than taking Finasteride daily.
https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/
according to this article 5 mg finasteride(which are taken for five days in normal finasteride doses) reduce scalp DHT by 41% while 0.5 mg dutasteride reduce it by 51%. and the 5 mg finasteride might just reducing 41% of scalp DHT only if it is 5 mg daily. and from the hair regrowth part of the study its look like 0.1 mg dutasteride is better even than 5 mg finasteride.
so it looks like 0.5 dutasteride reduce more scalp DHT than what finasteride even can, and also have longer half life so 0.5 mg dutasteride every week might still be better(or way more better) than taking finasteride every day.

Last edited:

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/
according to this article 5 mg finasteride(which are taken for five days in normal finasteride doses) reduce scalp DHT by 41% while 0.5 mg dutasteride reduce it by 51%. and the 5 mg finasteride might just reducing 41% of scalp DHT only if it is 5 mg daily. and from the hair regrowth part of the study its look like 0.1 mg dutasteride is better even than 5 mg finasteride.
so it looks like 0.5 dutasteride reduce more scalp DHT than what finasteride even can, and also have longer half life so 0.5 mg dutasteride every week might still be better(or way more better) than taking finasteride every day.

Are you currently on dutasteride?

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you currently on dutasteride?
no, just started with finasteride one month ago in order to preserve the improvements I will get from the minoxidil. I am thinking about switching to dutasteride in the future cause its just seems like better medication that have much more chance to work many more years without losing hair. the option not to take it everyday is a big bonus for me.

what do you think about what I said earlier?

Last edited:

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no, just started with finasteride one month ago in order to preserve the improvements I will get from the minoxidil. I am thinking about switching to dutasteride in the future cause its just seems like better medication that have much more chance to work many more years without losing hair. the option not to take it everyday is a big bonus for me.

what do you think about what I said earlier?

It brings me much pain to say this, but I think you overestimate dutasteride. People on here have switched from finasteride to dutasteride and it wrecks their hairline.

I challenge you to show me 3 success stories on here of people switching from finasteride to dutasteride and experiencing superior results (with pictures)

Because this site is flooded with pics of finasteride success.

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
It brings me much pain to say this, but I think you overestimate dutasteride. People on here have switched from finasteride to dutasteride and it wrecks their hairline.

I challenge you to show me 3 success stories on here of people switching from finasteride to dutasteride and experiencing superior results (with pictures)

Because this site is flooded with pics of finasteride success.
I don't think few success/failure stories on a forum can match a scientific research with both scalp DHT reduction and hair regrowth experiments on patients compared to not less than 5 mg finasteride. there is no doubt that dutasteride is a superior drug, the only question is on the doses and in when to take it.
I also found out that dutasteride half-life is depended on the concentration in the blood stream and that according to the user(staff member) Bryan from this forum: "What it means is that you can take 5 Avodart capsules every 5 days, and get the same results. You always have to take the same AVERAGE dose, but the long half-life allows for very flexible dosing schedules as regarding how OFTEN you take it. For example, you can take 0.5 mg every day, or you can take 1 mg every other day, or you can take 3.5 mg once a week, or you can take 7 mg every two weeks" ( https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/a-question-about-half-life-of-avodart.21216/ )

so basically you can have the same effect over longer time range by taking higher doses and combined with the proven and known superiority of dutasteride when it comes to reduce DHT and scalp DHT levels its obvious that dutasteride is a better drug.
you can have better results with taking dutasteride once a week than taking finasteride everyday, its simply depend on the dose.

the people you mentioned are very likely to take the wrong dose cause its hard for the average person to know what the doses he should take depending on his hair loss severity cause(from my experience at least) doctors never prescribe dutasteride for hair loss and they don't give any guidance about dutasteride and its doses and other factors like the one I mentioned above.

if there was more focuse on dutasteride than finasteride(from the medical community) and there was no so much of hysteria around the side effects(even when taking 2.5 mg dutasteride daily gave only mild side effects to a small number of patients in a previous research) we might have today a one week pill of dutasteride that work way better than finasteride that can be easily prescribed for hair loss disease.

Dontwannabeabetabob

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you switch from Finasteride to dutasteride or started with dutasteride right off the bat? How long did it take for you to see results on dutasteride?
I can't say, I started off with 1.25 mg of finasteride, then at 6 months I added dutasteride MWF and 5% minoxidil x2 daily. So I can't pinpoint to what exactly did the most, but I'm happy with the results so far. I've just added in dermarolling too.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't say, I started off with 1.25 mg of finasteride, then at 6 months I added dutasteride MWF and 5% minoxidil x2 daily. So I can't pinpoint to what exactly did the most, but I'm happy with the results so far. I've just added in dermarolling too.

What norwood are you?

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think few success/failure stories on a forum can match a scientific research with both scalp DHT reduction and hair regrowth experiments on patients compared to not less than 5 mg finasteride. there is no doubt that dutasteride is a superior drug, the only question is on the doses and in when to take it.
I also found out that dutasteride half-life is depended on the concentration in the blood stream and that according to the user(staff member) Bryan from this forum: "What it means is that you can take 5 Avodart capsules every 5 days, and get the same results. You always have to take the same AVERAGE dose, but the long half-life allows for very flexible dosing schedules as regarding how OFTEN you take it. For example, you can take 0.5 mg every day, or you can take 1 mg every other day, or you can take 3.5 mg once a week, or you can take 7 mg every two weeks" ( https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/a-question-about-half-life-of-avodart.21216/ )

so basically you can have the same effect over longer time range by taking higher doses and combined with the proven and known superiority of dutasteride when it comes to reduce DHT and scalp DHT levels its obvious that dutasteride is a better drug.
you can have better results with taking dutasteride once a week than taking finasteride everyday, its simply depend on the dose.

the people you mentioned are very likely to take the wrong dose cause its hard for the average person to know what the doses he should take depending on his hair loss severity cause(from my experience at least) doctors never prescribe dutasteride for hair loss and they don't give any guidance about dutasteride and its doses and other factors like the one I mentioned above.

if there was more focuse on dutasteride than finasteride(from the medical community) and there was no so much of hysteria around the side effects(even when taking 2.5 mg dutasteride daily gave only mild side effects to a small number of patients in a previous research) we might have today a one week pill of dutasteride that work way better than finasteride that can be easily prescribed for hair loss disease.

You can find "scientific research" for literally everything, what matters is it's real life efficiency. On paper, dutasteride should be a cure, but it's far from that.

It speaks volumes if you can't find 3 success stories with pictures on a hairloss site. There are enough people taking dutasteride to where we'd know if it's results were cosmetically superior. I'm talking about the standard 0.5mg dose a day.