Is This Normal On Finasteride? More Hair Loss

Gfish

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi

I’m 23 and recently started noticing my hair line is receeding, which is pretty odd because everyone else in my family have amazing thick hair! Anyway, I decided to start taking finasteride and have been on 1mg daily for about 3 months. I haven’t noticed any improvements. This last week I have noticed my hair has suddenly become a lot thinner and has receeded more. About a week ago I could style my hair the way I normally do and have it look good, now I can’t, it’s looks very thin and flat! Also my scalp has become very itchy. Is this normal? Should I stop taking it? Seems like it has suddenly become much worse! Thanks

Gfish

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bump. Really considering stopping finasteride. I wish my hair was how it was a month ago! It has suddenly become so much worse that i dont even want to leave the house. Could finasteride be causing this?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bump. Really considering stopping finasteride. I wish my hair was how it was a month ago! It has suddenly become so much worse that i dont even want to leave the house. Could finasteride be causing this?

people will tell you that losing more hair on finasteride is not normal, but based on these forums it seems to be happening to a lot of people. It happened to me, bad. finasteride gave me Telogen Effluvium, which could be happening to you. Google Telogen Effluvium if you want to know more about. Drastic hormonal changes cause a great amount of hair to fall out. Only way to know for sure is to get a scalp biopsy done at your derm. It could also just be a "shedding phase", kicking out the weaker hair to make room for stronger. You never know man. If you start losing LOTS of hair with white bulbs at the root end, it's probably Telogen Effluvium.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you really want to do this right and figure out the effects it's having on you, I would suggest getting a blood test and getting ALL your hormone levels checked. Also a scalp biopsy will show you your anagen / telogen ratio.

Gfish

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you really want to do this right and figure out the effects it's having on you, I would suggest getting a blood test and getting ALL your hormone levels checked. Also a scalp biopsy will show you your anagen / telogen ratio.

Thanks for the advice man. Telogen Effluvium could be it, reading about it now and it kind of makes sense. I think i'm going to stop taking finasteride for now and take your suggestion on blood tests and hormone levels checked. thanks again

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice man. Telogen Effluvium could be it, reading about it now and it kind of makes sense. I think i'm going to stop taking finasteride for now and take your suggestion on blood tests and hormone levels checked. thanks again

honestly, I would stay on it while you get the blood tests. You've already been on it three months, might as well see what's going on. If it did give you Telogen Effluvium, a couple more months will make little difference.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@buckthorn I just had full run on labs and have brand propecia, topical Finasteride 1% ready to go as options but I can’t get any real information on what to look for in the labs and what might get me into trouble/sides on the meds.

Do you know any places for information? I can’t find an endocrinologist that understands anything about hair.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is like playing Russian roulette with your hair and hormones. It got me good now I'm desperate and trying topical estrogen. Maybe you will have better results but unfortunately you ideally want to be on it for 8 - 12 months before you can know if it is working for you.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any thoughts on topical Finasteride or RU? I know RU is either a safe mildly effective alternative or a cancer causing nightmare.