Is this normal male pattern baldness? Would minoxidil/nizoral/finasteride be beneficial for me

nearlygone

Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this pic:
hairloss.jpg

on another forum and was advised that my hair loss was unusual and that I should see a dermatologist. Also that minoxidil etc wouldn't benefit in my case. I must admit I've been using 5% Kirkland minoxidil twice a day for about 3-4 years now and seem to be still losing hair, more in the last year I think. I know my hair loss doesn't really look like Norwood pictures or the pictures on the minoxidil box but wondered about starting to take finasteride as well...

Please can someone advise if either I'm too far gone now or whether it is worth me trying finasteride as well as nizoral and minoxidil? I also use a laser comb...

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
nearlygone said:
Hi all,

I posted this pic:
hairloss.jpg

on another forum and was advised that my hair loss was unusual and that I should see a dermatologist. Also that minoxidil etc wouldn't benefit in my case. I must admit I've been using 5% Kirkland minoxidil twice a day for about 3-4 years now and seem to be still losing hair, more in the last year I think. I know my hair loss doesn't really look like Norwood pictures or the pictures on the minoxidil box but wondered about starting to take finasteride as well...

Please can someone advise if either I'm too far gone now or whether it is worth me trying finasteride as well as nizoral and minoxidil? I also use a laser comb...

You are diffuse thinning all over, even in your donar area. This is unusual.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
The doctor appointment would be your primary method of treatment at this point.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
looks to me like a auto-imuum reaction...
your body attacks your own hairs....

nearlygone

Reaction score
interesting point about my body attacking my own hair. Aside from the top of my head I have plenty of hair everywhere else on my body in the normal places. My legs are also considered very hairy. It seems my body is choosing to grow hair in the wrong places... And no I'm not considering a transplant from anywhere else on my body! :)

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like male pattern baldness to me, maybe Alopecia areata totalis? You should definitely see a dermatologist.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is that pic of the top or back of your head? If its the top it looks like regular male pattern baldness to me

nearlygone

Reaction score
sorry I should have said. It's looking down on the top of my head. My hair is all combed forward to a sparse fringe at the front. :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
haunted-ballroom said:
Is that pic of the top or back of your head? If its the top it looks like regular male pattern baldness to me

Thats what I was thinking if it is the top then its just common m.p.b, as long as the back and sides dont look like that.

And yes treatments could offer you a slim hope but it looks like you've left it too late.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
If the hair at the back and sides of your scalp doesn't look like the hair at the top of your scalp, I would say that you have male pattern baldness, not diffuse thinning.

Also, I looked at your picture and I think that you might be trying to grow your hair very long in order to cover the hair loss that you have at the top of your scalp.

I think it might be better to cut your hair short to an average length and have that as your hairstyle because I think people can tell when someone tries to grow their hair very long in order to cover-up their hair loss.

Just wanted to make the suggestion.

nearlygone

Reaction score
that is quite true. I used to have long hair down to my neck only about 5 years ago. I've had just a small fringe at the front for a while now. I worry that cutting it the same length all over on top will make it look even thinner. My older brother has short hair on top and it looks like he has much more than me. I've got plenty of hair back and sides which when washed can get bushy and make the hair on top look much thinner. With a combover from the back it's really bad when the wind blows it around, it really shows.