Is This Hair Loss Or Normal Or Should I Be Concerned?

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm kind of starting to get worried about my hair. recently my hairs been falling out soooo much like whether in shower or just doing anything or even if I just like touch it a hair will come out, or esp when brushing my hair. When I brush it with a comb it's literally so much. I have pretty long hair and it's pretty healthy. I very rarely se heat, I use some protein treatments that are all natural and oils treatments like coconut, olive oil castor oil that kind of stuff. And every about 8 months do a Keratin treatment just to smooth it.

I have very sensitive skin so I can feel every little hair on me. I will admit my hair holds styles very well so I usually just let it air dry so I don't brush it for a few days sometimes either forget or just get lazy, could it just be that since I'm not brushing it every day and it's mostly in a bun that it's just all the hair up from all the days I didn't brush than it all comes out the day I do? I'm wondering if this is normal or if it's something I should get checked out. I included pics. The pic of the white sink was after brushing it with wide tooth comb after shower.and the other when I just randomly brushed it. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_3394.JPG
    IMG_3394.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 507

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking pictures of the falling hairs or giving us insight on your hair care routine doesn't really tell much, you need to see a dermatologist and rule out hair loss causes and blood work up and then your doctor should determine what happens next.

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking pictures of the falling hairs or giving us insight on your hair care routine doesn't really tell much, you need to see a dermatologist and rule out hair loss causes and blood work up and then your doctor should determine what happens next.
Hi thanks for your response. I totally understand that I just thought I'd get some quick suggestions before seeing my Doctor. I just wanted to see if that's what people consider a normal amount or if it's something that I should see the Doctor about.

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day since around 10% of your hair is always in the telogen phase or resting phase so it sheds to make room for new hair.

Sometimes disorders, genetics or underlying conditions can cause hair to fall out in excess.

Judging by the pics you've sent, assuming all of that hair was lost in one day, it would be worth getting checked to see what's causing that hair loss.

Stress and depression can trigger temporary hair loss that can correct itself once you've corrected your emotional moods.

Thyroid disorders can also cause hair loss so if they can't find a cause then you can get your thyroid checked out. Look up symptoms of hypothyroidism and assess if you think you might have an under-active thyroid.

Telogen Effluvium is similar to the telogen phase I mentioned above, but instead of having 10% hairs shedding all the time, it's usually higher like maybe 25-30% entering a resting phase where your hair falls out. This condition is also temporary but by temporary, I mean it can last a couple of years. Reversible and not permanent so don't freak.

When you mentioned wearing your hair in a bun I thought Traction Alopecia could be a possibility but you'd have to have noticeable recession in the frontal area of your head. I doubt it would be this especially since you don't lose a lot of hair at once with this condition, but just a friendly tip: don't make a tight bun or tight ponytails that tug on your hair so much because it can cause that condition and that is permanent hair loss.

You can honestly narrow down your possible causes before even going to a doctor or dermatologist if you provide some more information such as: do you have noticeable thinning? If so, where? and so on.

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day since around 10% of your hair is always in the telogen phase or resting phase so it sheds to make room for new hair.

Sometimes disorders, genetics or underlying conditions can cause hair to fall out in excess.

Judging by the pics you've sent, assuming all of that hair was lost in one day, it would be worth getting checked to see what's causing that hair loss.

Stress and depression can trigger temporary hair loss that can correct itself once you've corrected your emotional moods.

Thyroid disorders can also cause hair loss so if they can't find a cause then you can get your thyroid checked out. Look up symptoms of hypothyroidism and assess if you think you might have an under-active thyroid.

Telogen Effluvium is similar to the telogen phase I mentioned above, but instead of having 10% hairs shedding all the time, it's usually higher like maybe 25-30% entering a resting phase where your hair falls out. This condition is also temporary but by temporary, I mean it can last a couple of years. Reversible and not permanent so don't freak.

When you mentioned wearing your hair in a bun I thought Traction Alopecia could be a possibility but you'd have to have noticeable recession in the frontal area of your head. I doubt it would be this especially since you don't lose a lot of hair at once with this condition, but just a friendly tip: don't make a tight bun or tight ponytails that tug on your hair so much because it can cause that condition and that is permanent hair loss.

You can honestly narrow down your possible causes before even going to a doctor or dermatologist if you provide some more information such as: do you have noticeable thinning? If so, where? and so on.

Hi thanks for your reply. I understand that it's normal to lose some hairs per day I just didn't know if this was too much. Yes this isn't just from one day it's from one time of brushing. I just don't even know what to ask for if I go to the Doctor like what tests to ask for.
I've always had pretty fine hair and I never really paid attention so I'm not sure if it's thinning or not, yes I don't usually ever do a right bun just lately been throwing it in a lose bun because it's so hot.

Could it be like I mentioned that since I don't brush it everyday it's just the accumulated hair from the days I didn't brush, so that's why it looks like a lot? I have been in a funk for the past 6 months or more so it could be stress related.

As you can see in the pics I attatched when I don't have my fingers through it it's pretty thin but if I run my fingers through it's more noticeable. As I mentioned I don't know if it's thinning in those spots and esp in the front because I never paid attention before.

The condition that you said isn't permanent does that go away on its own or is there something I can do to help?

Attachments

• IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3557.JPG
    IMG_3557.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_3558.JPG
    IMG_3558.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 433

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score

I just tried to find some pics to see if there was a difference and I'm now getting worried because I feel like my hair might've been somewhat thicker but each pic is different so I don't know. The first 3 pics are from 2015 and the others from 2016. The pics in the previous reply were just today

Attachments

• IMG_3560.PNG
    IMG_3560.PNG
    422.4 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_3561.PNG
    IMG_3561.PNG
    365 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_3562.PNG
    IMG_3562.PNG
    510.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_3563.PNG
    IMG_3563.PNG
    401.5 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_3564.PNG
    IMG_3564.PNG
    411.8 KB · Views: 362

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply. I understand that it's normal to lose some hairs per day I just didn't know if this was too much. Yes this isn't just from one day it's from one time of brushing. I just don't even know what to ask for if I go to the Doctor like what tests to ask for.
I've always had pretty fine hair and I never really paid attention so I'm not sure if it's thinning or not, yes I don't usually ever do a right bun just lately been throwing it in a lose bun because it's so hot.

Could it be like I mentioned that since I don't brush it everyday it's just the accumulated hair from the days I didn't brush, so that's why it looks like a lot? I have been in a funk for the past 6 months or more so it could be stress related.

As you can see in the pics I attatched when I don't have my fingers through it it's pretty thin but if I run my fingers through it's more noticeable. As I mentioned I don't know if it's thinning in those spots and esp in the front because I never paid attention before.

The condition that you said isn't permanent does that go away on its own or is there something I can do to help?

You can go to a dermatologist and ask for a scalp biopsy and even blood work to determine the cause of your hair loss. When you walk in you can tell them you want a scalp biopsy because you have been losing a hair in chunks at a time and that you want to see if it could be caused by Telogen Effluvium.

From the pics you've sent this definitely narrows it down and my opinion is that this is either Telogen Effluvium or could also be DUPA which is Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia.

DUPA usually has uniform thinning throughout your entire head and almost always doesn't present itself with recession in the hairline where as Telogen Effluvium can be worse in some areas and better in others.

You look to have some thinner hairs in the front so it might not be DUPA and that would be a good thing.

Telogen Effluvium can be caused several ways, but by what you told me with the 6 months of stressful time you had then it could be this condition and stress could've been the trigger to set it all off.

Of course with stress and depression you could encounter other issues like nutrition deficiency and not eating well which is also a trigger for Telogen Effluvium.

If you haven't been eating well for the past months then get checked for a nutrition deficiency or consume some iron and protein because I believe those are 2 of the ones that can be responsible for your hair loss.

There's other triggers for Telogen Effluvium as well like giving birth, major event, trauma, etc... but the best option for you is to go see a dermatologist and provide them with this same information you gave me.

Finally. The answer to your question: Yes you can reverse Telogen Effluvium. If it was caused by something like giving birth then you just have to wait it out. Other than that, this condition reverses itself once the trigger or cause has been removed and/or dealt with. So basically if stress was the trigger, then you would just have to be stress free or a change in mindset to make you stay happy. Nutrition deficiency you would obviously figure out what your deficiency is through a test and start eating healthy while boosting what you are deficient in. If it's protein then eat more foods containing protein (eggs, meat, etc...)

Your first stop should be a dermatologist with a scalp biopsy and some blood work if they suggest it before anything else.

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks to be thinning a bit, it's not very noticeable though as you look like you have a normal head of hair but if you notice your hairline is slightly see-through. I'd recommend getting it checked by a trichologist or a dermatologist that specializes in hair loss, just so they'd give you a correct diagnosis without leading you into wrong paths. Best of luck :)

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can go to a dermatologist and ask for a scalp biopsy and even blood work to determine the cause of your hair loss. When you walk in you can tell them you want a scalp biopsy because you have been losing a hair in chunks at a time and that you want to see if it could be caused by Telogen Effluvium.

From the pics you've sent this definitely narrows it down and my opinion is that this is either Telogen Effluvium or could also be DUPA which is Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia.

DUPA usually has uniform thinning throughout your entire head and almost always doesn't present itself with recession in the hairline where as Telogen Effluvium can be worse in some areas and better in others.

You look to have some thinner hairs in the front so it might not be DUPA and that would be a good thing.

Telogen Effluvium can be caused several ways, but by what you told me with the 6 months of stressful time you had then it could be this condition and stress could've been the trigger to set it all off.

Of course with stress and depression you could encounter other issues like nutrition deficiency and not eating well which is also a trigger for Telogen Effluvium.

If you haven't been eating well for the past months then get checked for a nutrition deficiency or consume some iron and protein because I believe those are 2 of the ones that can be responsible for your hair loss.

There's other triggers for Telogen Effluvium as well like giving birth, major event, trauma, etc... but the best option for you is to go see a dermatologist and provide them with this same information you gave me.

Finally. The answer to your question: Yes you can reverse Telogen Effluvium. If it was caused by something like giving birth then you just have to wait it out. Other than that, this condition reverses itself once the trigger or cause has been removed and/or dealt with. So basically if stress was the trigger, then you would just have to be stress free or a change in mindset to make you stay happy. Nutrition deficiency you would obviously figure out what your deficiency is through a test and start eating healthy while boosting what you are deficient in. If it's protein then eat more foods containing protein (eggs, meat, etc...)

Your first stop should be a dermatologist with a scalp biopsy and some blood work if they suggest it before anything else.
Ok j will definitely do I can now that I know what to ask for.

ok thanks for that info I will at least know what to ask for now when I go seethe derm. I really hope it's just due to stress and not something else. My hair is already thin enough don't need it to thin anymore haha. I'm gonna also start taking some supplements or something to help a bit hopefully. Thank you so much

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm kind of starting to get worried about my hair. recently my hairs been falling out soooo much like whether in shower or just doing anything or even if I just like touch it a hair will come out, or esp when brushing my hair. When I brush it with a comb it's literally so much. I have pretty long hair and it's pretty healthy. I very rarely se heat, I use some protein treatments that are all natural and oils treatments like coconut, olive oil castor oil that kind of stuff. And every about 8 months do a Keratin treatment just to smooth it.

I have very sensitive skin so I can feel every little hair on me. I will admit my hair holds styles very well so I usually just let it air dry so I don't brush it for a few days sometimes either forget or just get lazy, could it just be that since I'm not brushing it every day and it's mostly in a bun that it's just all the hair up from all the days I didn't brush than it all comes out the day I do? I'm wondering if this is normal or if it's something I should get checked out. I included pics. The pic of the white sink was after brushing it with wide tooth comb after shower.and the other when I just randomly brushed it. Thanks everyone.
\

that is a lot of hair in sink for one day loss.

your pics later look like you are thinning/loseing density.

its not 'bad' but its important to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I do not think its areata since (i thought at first from first pic) its all over thinning..

Its actually similar to mine in pics.

IF you have androgenic (they can tell from family history, minituruziation and biopsy)

then come back and we can give you some advice on what to do because a lot of Doctors when it comes to women's hair loss are not well informed unfortunately and a lot of women just give up.

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score
\

that is a lot of hair in sink for one day loss.

your pics later look like you are thinning/loseing density.

its not 'bad' but its important to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I do not think its areata since (i thought at first from first pic) its all over thinning..

Its actually similar to mine in pics.

IF you have androgenic (they can tell from family history, minituruziation and biopsy)

then come back and we can give you some advice on what to do because a lot of Doctors when it comes to women's hair loss are not well informed unfortunately and a lot of women just give up.

Hi omg I never got a notification so I just saw your comment so sorry. I'm freaking out because it's starting to thin even more. I literally almost cried right now after seeing how much is falling out. I'm so scared it's going to all fall out or be super thin.

It literally was so much at all times during the shower after just grabbing my hair and running my hand down makes hair come out.
I haven't been able to go to the doctor because he's so busy and my appointment isn't until the 21st of September.
Should I buy some supplement or something I'm so upset. I updated some pics you can see that when I'm not holding it up it looks ok but once I hold it like that you can see how thin it's getting

the area on the top sides I also feel like my scalp is more noticeable at the part. The amount of hair on each side is equal to some people's 1/8 of one part of their hair, if that makes sense
The pic of the hair in the sink is only from brushing it after the shower not to mention all that went down the drain. I've been eating healthier so it shouldn't make my hair fall out I'd think it would make it better :(

Sorry for the really long reply I'm just freaking out.

Attachments

• IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_4251.JPG
    IMG_4251.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_4253.JPG
    IMG_4253.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_4255.JPG
    IMG_4255.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_4256.JPG
    IMG_4256.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_4258.JPG
    IMG_4258.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 320

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi omg I never got a notification so I just saw your comment so sorry. I'm freaking out because it's starting to thin even more. I literally almost cried right now after seeing how much is falling out. I'm so scared it's going to all fall out or be super thin.

It literally was so much at all times during the shower after just grabbing my hair and running my hand down makes hair come out.
I haven't been able to go to the doctor because he's so busy and my appointment isn't until the 21st of September.
Should I buy some supplement or something I'm so upset. I updated some pics you can see that when I'm not holding it up it looks ok but once I hold it like that you can see how thin it's getting

the area on the top sides I also feel like my scalp is more noticeable at the part. The amount of hair on each side is equal to some people's 1/8 of one part of their hair, if that makes sense
The pic of the hair in the sink is only from brushing it after the shower not to mention all that went down the drain. I've been eating healthier so it shouldn't make my hair fall out I'd think it would make it better :(

Sorry for the really long reply I'm just freaking out.

I would try to see primary doctor and get some blood work
Thyroid
Serum ferritin (iron panel)
Zinc vitamin b etc

Then at least you will already have bloood work done when you visit your deem

If you already had blood work done then you have to just wait to see Dr

Are you on any medications?

When your hair sheds what do the roots look like? Is it white bulb or dark bulbs?

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thyroid
Zinc vitamin b etc

When your hair sheds what do the roots look like? Is it white bulb or dark bulbs?

That's good idea I will try to make an appointment tomorrow. I had some done but that was a long time ago.

I've never really looked but I will look today when I brush my hair.

No I'm not on any meds at all just occasional headache medicine

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thyroid
Zinc vitamin b etc

Ok so I tried to look and some were normal and some did have a tiny little like white spec on them. What does this mean is it bad?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so I tried to look and some were normal and some did have a tiny little like white spec on them. What does this mean is it bad?

The white bulbs are normal

I think it it was Telogen Effluvium they would mostly be color if your hair

You should google and do some research as this is kind of basic stuff for differentiation of various types of alopecia

Brooke

My Regimen
Reaction score
The white bulbs are normal

I think it it was Telogen Effluvium they would mostly be color if your hair

You should google and do some research as this is kind of basic stuff for differentiation of various types of alopecia

Yes I've been looking into it a lot. Most I saw was bat it is the telogen thing but I won't know for sure till I see Doctor so hopefully I don't go bald by than lol