Is This A Receding Or Maturing Hairline? (male pattern baldness?)

Is this a receding hairline?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

worried_guy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I wanted to ask you an advice regarding my hair, since I cannot understand by myself if I should be concerned or not.
Two years ago a dermatologist told me I have some miniaturized hair and so prescribed me minoxidil (5%) twice per day, and I've been applying that since then regularly, without rubbing it, just applying it over my scalp.
Lately, I would say 2-3 months ago, I begun having dandruff issues and scalp irritation issues, so I started using Nizoral and rubbing the minoxidil over my scalp for 3-4 minutes to make it absorb thoroughly (under advice of another dermatologist). This resolved my dandruff issue but I fear that doing so (rubbing the minoxidil) could lead to a minor effectiveness of the product.

Lately I noticed my hairline seems to have receded a bit, so I wanted to ask for your opinion about that.
Should I be concerned and jump to other medicals? Or it is fine like that?
I was wondering if this is definitively a receding hairline or a maturing one.
Note that I'm 24 and I have long hair that are curly and very dry (no grease at all).

I would consider finasteride but my physician advised strongly against it because of the sides.

Let me know what you think about it please :)

Attachments

• photo_2017-12-24_13-58-08.jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-08.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 7,483
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-09 (2).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-09 (2).jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,313
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-09 (3).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-09 (3).jpg
    174 KB · Views: 1,331
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-09 (4).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-09 (4).jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 1,397
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-09.jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-09.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,165
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-10 (2).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-10 (2).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,360
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-10 (3).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-10 (3).jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,181
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-10 (4).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-10 (4).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,252
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-11 (2).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-11 (2).jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,201
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-10.jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-10.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,194
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-11 (3).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-11 (3).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,066
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-11 (4).jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-11 (4).jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-11.jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-11.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,123
  • photo_2017-12-24_13-58-12.jpg
    photo_2017-12-24_13-58-12.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,291

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're balding.

Merry Christmas!

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, so would you advice me to jump on finasteride at this point?
Would I be able to save my hair since, as I may deduce from your statement, it is no longer enough?

Yes I would recommend finasteride. With finasteride you'll likely maintain your hair with some slight thickening. Your hair loss isn't bad by anymeans, but it is starting to recede and thin a little.

worried_guy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I would recommend finasteride. With finasteride you'll likely maintain your hair with some slight thickening. Your hair loss isn't bad by anymeans, but it is starting to recede and thin a little.

Thank you for the advice man :) I will consider finasteride.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

worried_guy

My Regimen
Reaction score
how long have you be taking mioxidil ?
you apply it only to hairline ? or whole scalp ?

@michel sapin

Thank you for your questions :)

I've been taking minoxidil for almost 2 years now (from early 2016). I apply it on the whole scalp. I apply 1 ml twice per day. Actually, I would say it is a little bit more of 1 ml since sometimes 1 ml is not enough to cover the whole scalp. I rub it thoroughly then (started doing it 2 months ago due to dandruff).

I started noticing hair loss in late 2014 (21 yo), but started medication only in early 2016 (22 yo).

I can provide some photos of my hair in 2014, and then most recent photos if this may help to compare.
Note that back in 2014 I was in a very stressful period of my life, for which I had to see a psychologist for depression, also.

I named the photos so it says when I took them.

Attachments

• march 2017.jpg
    march 2017.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 794
  • october 2014 (2).jpg
    october 2014 (2).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 737
  • october 2014.jpg
    october 2014.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 647
  • october 2017.jpg
    october 2017.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice hair. Go for finasteride and keep it. You'll only end up going on it anyway once you lose more.

worried_guy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice hair. Go for finasteride and keep it. You'll only end up going on it anyway once you lose more.
Thanks mate :) I will likely follow your advice, since there is no point in waiting for it to get worse.
I just hope I experience no sides. Should I suspend it if I experience sides or keep taking it anyway?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@worried_guy

Use BOTH (Finasteride and Minoxidil). Has the best and fastest chance of success.

You see, if you respond to Minoxidil (some guys don't), your gains will only be temporary
without Finasteride.

You will not get worse results than taking nothing, but that's eventually what you will
delay, and go back to near baseline results, on Minoxidil alone.

You have good hair density on top, but the hairline is losing ground.

You should start out by MICRO DOSING (so there are no side effects). Start with half
a tablet a day, or even a third if you're someone cautious.

Then, if all is well, gradually work up to one milligram. I'm not a big fan of using more than
one milligram.

Some guys use five a day, would definitely not go that route.

People who never use Minoxidil, might be interested to know that both has increased hair
density by fifteen percent (added with Minoxidil).

There's a government study done by India which confirms this. They used three percent Minoxidil,
with .1% (equals one milligram topically), in a combined formula. Had excellent results, and did
better than the oral Finasteride group.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@worried_guy

Early intervention has a MUCH BETTER success rate than late intervention, which might
not even be successful bringing five percent of hair back.

You are in the beginning stages. Trust me, it's better to you Finasteride now then ten years
later.

Because hair that's dead for three to eight years will not come back.

Also, you can avoid microneedling (dermarolling) if you start now.

worried_guy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worried_guy

Use BOTH (Finasteride and Minoxidil). Has the best and fastest chance of success.

You see, if you respond to Minoxidil (some guys don't), your gains will only be temporary
without Finasteride.

You will not get worse results than taking nothing, but that's eventually what you will
delay, and go back to near baseline results, on Minoxidil alone.

You have good hair density on top, but the hairline is losing ground.

You should start out by MICRO DOSING (so there are no side effects). Start with half
a tablet a day, or even a third if you're someone cautious.

Then, if all is well, gradually work up to one milligram. I'm not a big fan of using more than
one milligram.

Some guys use five a day, would definitely not go that route.

People who never use Minoxidil, might be interested to know that both has increased hair
density by fifteen percent (added with Minoxidil).

There's a government study done by India which confirms this. They used three percent Minoxidil,
with .1% (equals one milligram topically), in a combined formula. Had excellent results, and did
better than the oral Finasteride group.

Thanks for your detailed advice :)

So I should start with taking half a dose or 1/3 a dose per day, then check if I have sides, if not I can work it up to 1 mg/daily.
I am indeed on Minoxidil since early 2016, I will keep using it even if I start taking finasteride then.

Thank you again for answering me, have a nice Christmas :)

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed advice :)

So I should start with taking half a dose or 1/3 a dose per day, then check if I have sides, if not I can work it up to 1 mg/daily.
I am indeed on Minoxidil since early 2016, I will keep using it even if I start taking finasteride then.

Thank you again for answering me, have a nice Christmas :)

Take the smallest amount possible. Maybe you should start out on one third.

If you get side effects, then just stop.

If it WORKS for you, then don't raise the dose. Consider yourself lucky and just stick with that.

Do NOT stop using Minoxidil. Stick with what your dermatologist gave you.

Also, use it on YOUR HAIRLINE, including the bald spots.

Minoxidil DOES regrow hair on a receded hairline. I used it younger than you, and I regrew
my hairline on Minoxidil alone. But I LOST most of my gains five years later, because I didn't
use Finasteride.

worried_guy

My Regimen
Reaction score

If it WORKS for you, then don't raise the dose. Consider yourself lucky and just stick with that.

Minoxidil DOES regrow hair on a receded hairline. I used it younger than you, and I regrew
my hairline on Minoxidil alone. But I LOST most of my gains five years later, because I didn't
use Finasteride.

@rclark

Oh I see, so even if the packaging says it does not work on hairline, it is just because it is not tested for hairline, but it indeed works.
Well I will keep using it on hairline also.

About Finasteride, would you advice taking it every other day? I could take half a tablet every other day so the income would be 1/4 of the dose.
After how much time should I start seeing results? And after how much time could I start experiencing sides?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@rclark

Oh I see, so even if the packaging says it does not work on hairline, it is just because it is not tested for hairline, but it indeed works.
Well I will keep using it on hairline also.

About Finasteride, would you advice taking it every other day? I could take half a tablet every other day so the income would be 1/4 of the dose.
After how much time should I start seeing results? And after how much time could I start experiencing sides?

It DOES work on the hairline. Put it on the bald spots where you lost hair.

Let me just say this, I used two percent on my hairline, NOT FIVE percent.

I was younger than you when I first used it. And, I was at least a Norwood two (my hairloss
was very agressive).

Both my parents lost hair from androgen alopecia. My mom was a Norwood one, and had
diffuse hair. My dad, forget it, Norwood four/five in his forties.

My hair path was very, very obvious.

I had NO TERMINAL hair around my receding hairline. None. The key is, I just RECENTLY lost it.
So it grew back in.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score

use Finasteride.

Do you recommend the same advice for someone at the age of 18?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, if prevention is your goal. Why not?

OK. Thanks, I am wondering because I'm experiencing the same issue like OP. Just scared incase Propecia can hinder any growth that there's left for me... What do you reckon?

worried_guy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It DOES work on the hairline. Put it on the bald spots where you lost hair.

Let me just say this, I used two percent on my hairline, NOT FIVE percent.

I was younger than you when I first used it. And, I was at least a Norwood two (my hairloss
was very agressive).

Both my parents lost hair from androgen alopecia. My mom was a Norwood one, and had
diffuse hair. My dad, forget it, Norwood four/five in his forties.

My hair path was very, very obvious.

I had NO TERMINAL hair around my receding hairline. None. The key is, I just RECENTLY lost it.
So it grew back in.

@rclark
Oh, I have a similar family scenario: my dad is losing hair now, in his 50ies, and he has diffused alopecia, I think, since he has little hair all over the scalp and went directly from norwood 2 to 6 in no time. My mother also has hair loss but just the parting is a bit large and hair is a bit thin but nothing so noticeable.
So even if you had no terminal hair on your receding hairline, using treatment they came back anyway?
I seem to have some terminal hair on my hairline (as you can see from the pics, there are very short, thin hair there) so would I regain them if I start using finasteride soon?
Is, on your advice, 1/4 tablet a fine dose for me to start? Since it is difficult for me to cut the tablet in 3 even parts.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@rclark
Oh, I have a similar family scenario: my dad is losing hair now, in his 50ies, and he has diffused alopecia, I think, since he has little hair all over the scalp and went directly from norwood 2 to 6 in no time. My mother also has hair loss but just the parting is a bit large and hair is a bit thin but nothing so noticeable.
So even if you had no terminal hair on your receding hairline, using treatment they came back anyway?
I seem to have some terminal hair on my hairline (as you can see from the pics, there are very short, thin hair there) so would I regain them if I start using finasteride soon?
Is, on your advice, 1/4 tablet a fine dose for me to start? Since it is difficult for me to cut the tablet in 3 even parts.

Nobody really knows, but it is very likely because your still young and your hairloss is NEW.

If it happened in your mid teenage years, you would probably be fucked. But since it is new, you
probably will get it back.