Is this a crown cowlick? (Pics)

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
Front is thinning and I hopped on finasteride 1mg which I've been on for a month so far. I've always had a crown cowlick though but I think I'm starting to get paranoid now lol. I included a few pics. Let me know guys. Thanks. Also IF it is balding back there, I am hoping finasteride will do the trick. I've been told by a doctor that lighter skin + dark hair equals out to the appearance of one thinking that they're thinning etc since the way the dark hair lays on the light skin.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 36,332
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 7,522
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7,466

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Its definitely thinning there. I have a similar situation and I think its definitely early vertex balding. I just sprinkle it with toppik and its gone in a second. I don't think too many people would consider that normal. I see men with full heads of hair and I don't see that too often.

shookwun

Reaction score
The pigmentation difference is the key give away. hair that is thinning tends to have that discoloration look, which is a sign DHT is attacking that follicle.

it's the process of miniaturization, eventually those hairs will be peach fuzz.

On the plus side, early stages and can be reversed, and maintained through finasteride

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Definitely thinning.

The pigmentation difference is the key give away. hair that is thinning tends to have that discoloration look, which is a sign DHT is attacking that follicle.

it's the process of miniaturization, eventually those hairs will be peach fuzz.

On the plus side, early stages and can be reversed, and maintained through finasteride
Minoxidil and finasteride works great there. That is why I had to get back on minoxidil to see if I can reverse some of that crown thinning. Unfortunately, I never had crown thinning until after my 5 th year on finasteride. So there is no guarantee it can hold it off but at least with toppik it disappears in seconds so its worth trying to maintain it even at that level. My brother started like the OP in his late 20's or early 30's and with no treatments by the time he reached around 40 it got bigger and bigger. I am kind of disappointed that finasteride did not help me avoid from getting worse in that area where it supposedly works the best. However, these treatments are not cures. Shookwun, how many grafts would it take to fill that small area back to normal density?

shookwun

Reaction score
Crown takes such a large circumference of area, it's hard to tell. Around 250-500 grafts give or take.

Problem with these crown areas is they would shave the area completely, and then implant in betweed followed by additional areas outside the balding zone. Most credible surgeons will reinforce surrounding areas ontop of whats visible to the naked eye.

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
Minoxidil and finasteride works great there. That is why I had to get back on minoxidil to see if I can reverse some of that crown thinning. Unfortunately, I never had crown thinning until after my 5 th year on finasteride. So there is no guarantee it can hold it off but at least with toppik it disappears in seconds so its worth trying to maintain it even at that level. My brother started like the OP in his late 20's or early 30's and with no treatments by the time he reached around 40 it got bigger and bigger. I am kind of disappointed that finasteride did not help me avoid from getting worse in that area where it supposedly works the best. However, these treatments are not cures. Shookwun, how many grafts would it take to fill that small area back to normal density?

Thanks. It probably wasn't a good idea for me to look at it while my hair was a bit oily and not freshly washed lol. Upon washing and up doing like normal, it looks normal. Obviously flat/oily hair makes it fall heavier making it look worse than something is. I think it very may well be all in my head to be honest. No pun intended lol. Here is a pic of it post shower, etc.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 5,279

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks. It probably wasn't a good idea for me to look at it while my hair was a bit oily and not freshly washed lol. Upon washing and up doing like normal, it looks normal. Obviously flat/oily hair makes it fall heavier making it look worse than something is. I think it very may well be all in my head to be honest. No pun intended lol. Here is a pic of it post shower, etc.
Looks better now. However the angle is different and its further away. Over all its nothing to worry about at this point as long as you are taking finasteride.

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
Looks better now. However the angle is different and its further away. Over all its nothing to worry about at this point as long as you are taking finasteride.

My hair is fine/thin and very straight naturally so it's always been a pain keeping it from falling in every which way lol. But yeah just a month in now with finasteride! I plan to stick with it also! Thanks again