Is there anything out there besides the big 3 that actually even remotely works?

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

recently i got a hair transplant and its perfect. And I honestly am super scared for the regrowth phaseand I am anxious about maintaining the rest of my hair.

i am not on any medication and use only nizoral and (just started topical spironolactone).

the reason i am not on finasteride is first tried it for a year saw no gain or slowing of shedding. Then i developed gynecomastia symptoms. So oral anti androgens aren't an option for me.

if there is anything out there that people have noticed TRUE benefits. Like maintenance please share. Please do not share if you arent 99% confident it helped. Way too much placebo affects and people styling their hair or seeing benefits from thickening cosmetic agents.

so much snake oil out there. Honestly cant believe there are no laws to protect people from this bullshit.

recently i read about watercess extract working on the wnt pathway. Not sure if that works.

Bill69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel you on that had a hair transplant 6 months ago and want something that can prevent future loss

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel you on that had a hair transplant 6 months ago and want something that can prevent future loss
Was the transplant recovery process succesful? My Doctor kept saying i need to get on finastride otherwise i risk not having a successful hair transplant regrowth i am 8 days post op atm. High anxiety my hair wont grow back. I did 1600+ grafts on my hairline at 29

Bill69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it’s been good so far I have a lot more density at the front of hairline again but my doctor said I won’t see the full effects till the 12 month mark but I’m still happy

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it’s been good so far I have a lot more density at the front of hairline again but my doctor said I won’t see the full effects till the 12 month mark but I’m still happy
Thats awesome. Makes me excited even tho i am not using finasteride. I started using topical spironolactone tho.

the best things so far i think may help is oral capsaicin
Topical melatonin

congrats dude! Super happy for u! How many grafts you get?

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you need to stay away from finasteride than I would advice to at least try saw palmetto. It's not as strong as finasteride but you might delayed the need for finasteride, I didnt use it myself but read a review about it and it can regrowth little hair (compare to finasteride or dutasteride) and maybe stop hair loss. Also how many times you want to use ketoconazole shampoo? If not everyday than in between nizoral days use shampoo with caffeine, also someething that might stop hairloss. Microneedling alone also can give you some maintance.

Avacfc

Reaction score
I am in the same boat, I had a hair transplant 18 months ago, 2500 grafts in the frontal third. I also refuse to touch any hormone altering drugs, and with that decision I understand that I am happy to chase my hair loss with future hair transplants at the worse case scenario, I have enough in the bank to NW5.

However, I have been holding up very well with ZIX and a laser cap. My growth from the hair transplant was incredible and I was completely drug free.

I hear many posts that you cant have a transplant without finasteride/Minoxidil, and of course taking these are advised but as long as your happy to commit to future transplants, it is an option. I have had excellent results since my transplant and I have gained a lot of confidence. Of course this is a case by case basis, and what works for me may not for others but so far I am maintaining nicely, and at 30 have better hair than I did at 20.

Don't get anxious, just do what makes you happy and roll with it.

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, I had a hair transplant 18 months ago, 2500 grafts in the frontal third. I also refuse to touch any hormone altering drugs, and with that decision I understand that I am happy to chase my hair loss with future hair transplants at the worse case scenario, I have enough in the bank to NW5.

However, I have been holding up very well with ZIX and a laser cap. My growth from the hair transplant was incredible and I was completely drug free.

I hear many posts that you cant have a transplant without finasteride/Minoxidil, and of course taking these are advised but as long as your happy to commit to future transplants, it is an option. I have had excellent results since my transplant and I have gained a lot of confidence. Of course this is a case by case basis, and what works for me may not for others but so far I am maintaining nicely, and at 30 have better hair than I did at 20.

Wow. This post really made me feel super good. Thank you!

perhaps its the positive atitude u have that really helped.

i do have topical spironolactone on standby and i am using nizoral and topical alfatradiol.

Funny enough tho i think minoxidil is actually super bad for hair transplants and will damage things further in the long run.

anyways thanks again for your response!

Bill69

My Regimen
Reaction score

Nice one mate that’s exactly how I think I’ll play it to be honest I value my hormones and mindset to much I think if I have to chase the hair transplants then so be it I only had a small one and feel extremely pleased so far ! So you saying this is very reassuring

Bill69

My Regimen
Reaction score

Also what is zix is this something new

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hi, how aggressive was your loss before Zix? I'm thinking of jumping on it but wanted to see it tackle a similar pattern first.

Also any pics of your transplant, I feel I'm in the same boat as you potentially...

Thanks

Derek Clapton

Reaction score
Why would you use treatments after a transplant? Isn't the whole point that they use hair from areas which aren't affected by DHT, like the back of your head?

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you use treatments after a transplant? Isn't the whole point that they use hair from areas which aren't affected by DHT, like the back of your head?

Yes but the hair that isn't transplanted will still keep falling out so you either need to stop that from happening, slow it down or have repeated transplants.

Mook

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When you say your “shedding” didn’t slow down on finasteride do you mean you were still losing ground? Or were you just shedding hairs and regrowing them? shedding is kind of a misused word here.

You have some options still. From order of most effective to least effective you have RU, topical dutasteride, laser helmet (pretty ineffective but may have some maintenance benefits)

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
No. Everything works a little but the big 3 is your best bet. I've been on Din for about, I don't know, 25 years. I started weaning off of finasteride about 7 years ago. I now take 1 pill a week and maintaining my hair loss. I've tried EVERYTHING over the past 25 years and they all may work a little but finasteride is the only thing that gave me hair where hair wasn't.

On another note what did you pay for your graphs? You got a lot, here in the US I was looking at $8000 for 900 to 1500 graphs...that was too much for me to spend and as you say, you have to continue to get transplants.

As a disclaimer I have had 2 transplants totaling about 1200 graphs about 15 years ago..at the hairline.